MInt prices LAX-FLL - Yowza!

Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

MInt prices LAX-FLL - Yowza!

And not a good Yowza, either. Flights opened today for February-April and I had hoped to score a Mint seat for $499-699. Try $1399! That seems to be the fare now - I looked as far back as early December (not every day) and didn’t see anything less expensive. I even called to see if it was correct - EF is showing all seats open on every flight I’ve looked at, so it doesn’t seem that anybody is biting at that price, either.

Do I have any realistic hope that the price will fall or should I resign myself to Blue or another airline?

So bummed....
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
No real surprise as all the public info shared on yields regularly shows this is among the most profitable routes in the network.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 1:01 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
No idea about this route, but I take LAS-BOS regularly and the Mint price seems to fluctuate wildly sometimes. It can start at $1,149, then drop to $599 a few weeks out, then work its way back up. I've noticed this with Y fares too, not sure if it's competitor price matching, bizarre revenue maximization algorithms, or just weird IT.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by critterchick
And not a good Yowza, either. Flights opened today for February-April and I had hoped to score a Mint seat for $499-699. Try $1399! That seems to be the fare now - I looked as far back as early December (not every day) and didn’t see anything less expensive. I even called to see if it was correct - EF is showing all seats open on every flight I’ve looked at, so it doesn’t seem that anybody is biting at that price, either.

Do I have any realistic hope that the price will fall or should I resign myself to Blue or another airline?

So bummed....
I would wait a while. At current time, there are only 2 flights on LAX-FLL, while the demand is off the chart, so B6 has been able to really monetize this route. It's the most profitable mint route in the system. But if they add more flights on this route, you might see the prices come down. I have a feeling that they might add frequencies in the next few months, which would lower the prices a little bit.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It goes without saying that Mint is not a viable product if sold long-term for $500-700. A Mint seat takes up a lot of precious real estate even without looking at the other bells & whistles. If B6 can't monetize the product, it has no future. That said, B6 is taking a measured approach and not demanding huge returns immediately. It takes a while for a non-legacy to break into the premium market.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: Free agent
Also, I've been finding that certain seats are often priced very high (relatively speaking) when the schedule is first rolled forward. I have started waiting about a month before buying seats post-roll. JFK -> MSY suffers from this. NYC->FLL is the same. JFK->SFO is very hit or miss especially for Mint.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Flights opened today ...
:-:

Not especially common that the cheapest seats show up the day the schedule opens.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
:-:

Not especially common that the cheapest seats show up the day the schedule opens.
Then I’ve had uncommon luck - every time I’ve booked right at the open it’s been $499-699. I’ll keep an eye out. Thanks to all.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 6:54 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
I had the same thought in mind for JFK-LAX. Saw lots of routes in Jan and early Feb for 599 each way, but of course my travel was at the end of February. So I knew they would be opening the schedule this past Sunday, and was eagerly awaiting the website to update so I could book the tickets.. only to find they were all suddenly 1399 and up.

Very bummed. Will keep watching the fare and hopefully it drops towards December.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I had the same thought in mind for JFK-LAX. Saw lots of routes in Jan and early Feb for 599 each way, but of course my travel was at the end of February. So I knew they would be opening the schedule this past Sunday, and was eagerly awaiting the website to update so I could book the tickets.. only to find they were all suddenly 1399 and up.

Very bummed. Will keep watching the fare and hopefully it drops towards December.
Jan after New Year's Holidays and early Feb are very low travel seasons for JFK-LAX. They probably know they can't sell all 20 seats at a higher price so they are just offloading some now. In late Feb business travel starts to pick up so they may be holding out for higher fare sales before discounting.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

There are prices as low as $599 on that route within the next week.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 8:32 am

summer seems to be low fare season on FLL-LAX. Winter is high fare season, so those $599 is harder to find.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are prices as low as $599 on that route within the next week.
Unfortunately this flight is in conjunction with a cruise, so we have limited flexibility. But thank you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.