Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

A220s and more A321s in...E190 being phased out

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A220s and more A321s in...E190 being phased out

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2018, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by moulder3
And based on how B6 has gone anti-passenger with the A320 retrofit (crappier seats, less legroom & abysmal SpaceFlex bathrooms), you honestly think they won't do the same to the A220? So the only *real* benefit is that the A220 has a longer range?
Have you even been on the A321 Mint planes which already have the "crappier" seats? Those plane interiors are far nicer than the old A320s.
diburning likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:33 am

My assessment of the B6 E190 being best-in-class for domestic economy is simply from a passenger's perspective. I get that the new A220 is more fuel-efficient and that's certainly good for the environment, but supposedly the new E190v2 would've also solved that problem. I'm legitimately shocked that so many people on this forum prefer a 2x3 config vs 2x2. Who the heck wants middle seats? Both planes have nearly identical seat width so there's nothing to be gained there. And based on how B6 has gone anti-passenger with the A320 retrofit (crappier seats, less legroom & abysmal SpaceFlex bathrooms), you honestly think they won't do the same to the A220? So the only *real* benefit is that the A220 has a longer range?
For that you're giving up:
1. no middle seats
2. padded seats
3. *probably* reduced legroom in A220 (based on A320 & A321 retrofits)
4. *probably* getting SpaceFlex or similar tiny bathrooms

Again, I get this is a win for B6 & probably their shareholders...but why on earth are frequent travelers celebrating this announcement?
C Series has wider seats than E90 or E2. 18.5 inch (+19 inch for middle seat) vs 18.25 inch. There are bigger overhead bins, lower noise in cabin, bigger windows. I don't know how you can see this as not a win for customers.

The pitch will most likely be 32 inch, since that's quite standard on JetBlue fleet now. The same pitch as E90.

I really think you should wait and fly on one to see. There has really been nothing but praise for the customer experience on this aircraft.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: Free agent
Having flown the A321 in both formats and the E190 quite a lot, I'm on board with the A220 having the new seats. They are comfortable and the TV's are terrific. Opening up more midcon/transcon options is a great thing. As mentioned, all the reviews of the plane's layout are largely positive.

A 2x2 is fine but frequent travelers like me are happy because a more efficient and larger plane benefits the whole system.

Also, the E190 overhead bins delay my flights more than any MX or WX delays because they are tiny.
sbm12 and RWPrincess like this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

3. *probably* reduced legroom in A220 (based on A320 & A321 retrofits)
Reduced "pitch" and reduced legroom are not 100% linked. And JetBlue still leads in the US. I'm betting 135 or 140 seats on the A220-300, mostly at 32" pitch with EMS at 34-36".
4. *probably* getting SpaceFlex or similar tiny bathrooms
Nope. The lavs are designed to be larger and there's no real option today for a smaller one. Maybe eventually, but not by the time deliveries start for B6.
why on earth are frequent travelers celebrating this announcement?
Have you flown on a CSeries/A220 yet? Or even been in the plane??

It is a VERY nice product, other than the middle seat. And the increased range opens up a LOT of options for JetBlue to increase destinations/routes served. I'm very happy about that. Also, the E90 interiors are pretty tired. Not as bad as the old 320s but getting very tired. A refresh there (i.e. bigger screens, updated connectivity, larger bins, larger lav, more and large windows, probably power/USB, etc) will be great for my needs.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
The C300 is a nice product. Too bad it necessitates installing the new seats. I mourn the demise of the old, nice, thick, comfortable leather seats. Screen? Storage? Tired looking interior? These are ancillary compared to seat comfort. You can bring your own IFE/power, but can't bring your own seat.

I'd argue that for short flights, the lav isn't really a deciding factor either.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by pWei
The C300 is a nice product. Too bad it necessitates installing the new seats. I mourn the demise of the old, nice, thick, comfortable leather seats. Screen? Storage? Tired looking interior? These are ancillary compared to seat comfort. You can bring your own IFE/power, but can't bring your own seat.

I'd argue that for short flights, the lav isn't really a deciding factor either.
Am I the only person who prefers the new seats? I found the old ones, while cushy, lacked lumbar support and hurt on a transcon. The new headrests are adjustable and I feel the shape is a bit more ergonomic. I'd rank them my favorite domestic seat after Virgin America's old ones (which were positively plush.)
Old Jul 13, 2018, 5:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Yes, pretty much everything about the new interiors is better. Having almost all A321s now at SFO, I get most of my flights already with the newer product and see it as a major downgrade to go to an older interior A320/E190. Can’t wait for the new interiors and new planes to come.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by bkojote
Am I the only person who prefers the new seats?
No.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
They do a lot of short haul flights on the East Coast. I'd be very curious to see if they pick up the 100 version too.

Also interested to see if they set up a crew base on the West Coast. They've never done it for the E190 but they seem to do a lot of short haul stuff there too.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by RWPrincess
They do a lot of short haul flights on the East Coast. I'd be very curious to see if they pick up the 100 version too.

Also interested to see if they set up a crew base on the West Coast. They've never done it for the E190 but they seem to do a lot of short haul stuff there too.
There is flexibility to get the -100 but all indications thus far suggest they really want to up-gauge the 100 seat planes to the larger model and believe they can fill them. Still a few years to truly commit to that, though.

LGB flying is being trimmed in favor of transcons this summer. That said, basing the A220 at LGB and using that for both transcons ex-LGB and the local flights could be an interesting network choice. It gets them the slightly better yields of the smaller planes at LGB, lower OpEx and could help keep the operation running more smoothly.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Well according to TPG Jet Blue is considering using the A220s to Europe along side their new A321LR

https://thepointsguy.com/news/more-m...e222b-44634841
Old Aug 28, 2018, 7:44 am

Could we see something like the BA1/3 LON->SNN->JFK run?

The A223 has SNN in range of Boston I think, probably JFK as well. In a low density Mint config, I could see that being a very viable product. (Let me burn my miles on this please)
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:17 pm

Not really much different between thin routes between BOS/JFK to the west coast and to Europe. Real question comes around cabin layout (a 1-1 front cabin would be very nice) but the range shouldn't be an issue.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:31 pm

A 1-1 would be ideal though with the 2-3 in the back I'd imagine they may go for a 1-2 with suites on one side with reduced space and a staggered 1-1 or pair on the other.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by sbm12
Not really much different between thin routes between BOS/JFK to the west coast and to Europe. Real question comes around cabin layout (a 1-1 front cabin would be very nice)
Such a tease, 1-1 revere herringbone seats on TATL. They'd be able to disrupt the heck out of Delta who prices BOS-LHR at ~$4k round trip in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.