FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Flight cancelled, what to do? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1909566-flight-cancelled-what-do.html)

mattack4000 May 15, 2018 10:35 pm

Flight cancelled, what to do?

Hey guys, I need a little help. My flight was cancelled 3 hours before departure, now I am completely stuck. They are rebooking her to a flight at the same time tomorrow. Will JetBlue pay for hotel and time loss or am I SOL? Will they pay for booking a flight via Alaska?

AutoSlash May 15, 2018 11:12 pm

JetBlue has no interline agreements, so no, they won't pay for a flight via Alaska. You can certainly ask them to pay for a hotel for the night and provide meal vouchers or compensation assuming the cancellation was not weather related, but as per JetBlue's Customer Bill of Rights, you are not entitled to it.

What you are entitled to are:
  • A refund or a booking on the next scheduled flight
  • A $50 credit
That's it. Anything else is at their discretion.

joe_miami May 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Why was the flight canceled? If due to weather, they won't pay for hotel or meals, but if it was JetBlue's fault (mechanical problem, lack of crew, etc.), they should.

JetBlue almost never pays for flights on other airlines.

mattack4000 May 16, 2018 12:33 am

No reason provided, they just cancelled it. I think it was one of those snowball delays up and down the east coast, plane never made it here.

You can't even get a hold of their customer service, they automatically book me in a plane 24 hours later. They gave me a nice EMS middle space after I bought an aisle one too.

joe_miami May 16, 2018 12:40 am

Originally Posted by mattack4000 (Post 29759092)
No reason provided, they just cancelled it. I think it was one of those snowball delays up and down the east coast, plane never made it here.

Ah, the East Coast storm. Unfortunately, JetBlue isn't responsible for weather-related cancellations, so hotel/meals won't be reimbursed. Did you happen to book the ticket on a credit card with travel insurance (e.g., Citi Prestige or Chase Sapphire Reserve, et al.)?

You can't even get a hold of their customer service, they automatically book me in a plane 24 hours later. They gave me a nice EMS middle space after I bought an aisle one too.
Where are you and where are you trying to go? JetBlue is a great airline, but troubles can arise when cancellations occur, since JetBlue has fewer flights than AA, DL, and UA, and JetBlue has no interline agreements. It's possible that the flight 24 hours later is the next available flight, either because it's a once-daily route or because earlier flights are sold out. (The middle seat is likely due to today's cancelled passengers being rebooked, which can cause sold-out flights for several days into the future.)

Having a trip delayed is never fun, but sometimes there's just nothing the airlines can do.

mattack4000 May 16, 2018 1:33 am

Yeah it's a daily flight. I looked into driving up to SFO to take another flight, but apparently those seats are sold too. Just not a good day. Maybe I will peek tomorrow morning.

I just wish they had cancelled it earlier so i can make arrangement, not announcing delays for hours and then cancel it 3 hours before.

mattack4000 May 16, 2018 2:04 am

Flight from SFO popped up for 7AM (it's 1AM now). Of course I can't get on it because their call center has nobody working....

joe_miami May 16, 2018 2:07 am

Originally Posted by mattack4000 (Post 29759312)
Flight from SFO popped up for 7AM (it's 1AM now). Of course I can't get on it because their call center has nobody working....

Are there seats available on it? Where were you supposed to fly out of?

1-800-JETBLUE should be staffed 24/7; not sure about Twitter.com/JetBlue

mattack4000 May 16, 2018 2:26 am

SJC

Yeah a seat popped up the last 2 hours from SFO, I am trying to see if i can switch to that. On the line they say the wait is more than 25+ min. I am at exactly 25 minute mark, I had gotten cut off earlier after 20 minutes....

mattack4000 May 16, 2018 2:28 am

Actually nm, just cant connect to change it

hi55us May 17, 2018 2:14 pm

Honestly, if faced with the scenario again, I would consider simply booking the SFO flight online if you see space available and asking for a refund. If they refuse a refund, consider using travel insurance from your credit card. The Citi prestige covers delays of 3 hours (even due to weather) and the Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred covers delays of 6 hours.

sbm12 May 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us (Post 29765705)
Honestly, if faced with the scenario again, I would consider simply booking the SFO flight online if you see space available and asking for a refund. If they refuse a refund, consider using travel insurance from your credit card. The Citi prestige covers delays of 3 hours (even due to weather) and the Chase Sapphire Reserve/Preferred covers delays of 6 hours.

The Chase trip interruption insurance does NOT cover replacement tickets. It covers incidental costs while you wait for the airline to get you to the destination but NOT a new ticket.

hi55us May 18, 2018 8:37 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 (Post 29766660)
The Chase trip interruption insurance does NOT cover replacement tickets. It covers incidental costs while you wait for the airline to get you to the destination but NOT a new ticket.

Really wow

Often1 May 18, 2018 10:04 am

As soon as OP's original flight was cancelled he became entitled to a full refund to his original form of payment. When the new flight popped up, he could have booked the new flight online and then dealt with the refund at the airport. If the new and old tickets are roughly the same cost, this is a non-issue. If the new ticket costs more, B6 will handle the reissue on the old ticket at the airport.

As to insurance, it is important to understand what you do and do not have. Many policies which come included with some CC's do not cover what people think they cover. If you are not worried about the money, don't bother. But, if you are, spending a few minutes reading the policy is a must.

mattack4000 May 18, 2018 12:09 pm

I ended up flying next day's flight, that ended up delaying by one hour too. As much as I love JetBlue, the old planes and delays get pretty annoying.

I booked my ticket with points, so I would have been screwed. Also all other alternatives would have cost me a lot of extra money as same day ticket cost 4x as my old ticket.