Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Dad Died - cancel ticket or no show?

Old Apr 21, 18, 7:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

Planned a trip to Florida with my father and my aunts. Unfortunately my farther passed away. I could call and cancel the ticket - I would get a refund. Or, should I hold onto the ticket and just treat it as no-show? I would loose the money for the ticket,but get a decent shot at having an extra empty seat. What wopuld you do?

P.S. it's an E90 ORH to MCO.
Old Apr 21, 18, 7:20 pm
Company Representative - Autoslash

Sincerest condolences on your loss. Call JetBlue. There’s a decent chance they will issue a credit or refund given the circumstances. No downside to trying.
Old Apr 21, 18, 9:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Sorry for your loss. If you do call and they do not grant a refund, I would hold the ticket in case there is a schedule change that might give you the option of just getting a refund. Not sure how the refund process works if the ticket is billed to a card held by the deceased.
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:08 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Got this from the jetblue website. You should be able to get a refund. JDeath
In the event of the death of the ticketed customer, a refund to the original form of payment can be processed for the deceased and any traveling companion(s). The request must be verified with a copy of a death certificate and be submitted within one year of the original ticket date of issue.In the event there is a death of an immediate family member of a ticketed customer, and the death occurs within one week of the ticketed flights, JetBlue will authorize waiving the cancel/change fee, and the ticket can be left in 'OPEN' status for use within one year from the date of issuance.

When the ticketed customer rebooks his/her flights for later dates, the change fee will be waived; however, any increase in airfare will apply.

Immediate family member is defined as:
  1. Mother, father, spouse, child, brother, sister, grandparent, great grandparent, grandchild or great grandchild.
  2. The mother, father, brother, sister, grandparent or great grandparent of the Customer's spouse or Customer's registered domestic partner.
  3. The Customer's step-relatives (as defined by "immediate family member" above), relatives by adoption, legal dependents, custodial relatives, and registered domestic partners and their children.
Both the refund and the waiver request require verification of the death certificate by JetBlue prior to any ticket changes being processed by a travel agent. Please email a copy of the death certificate as an attachment to [email protected][img]h...indow-icon.png[/img] and include the information below.Subject Line: Death Certificate, Ticket Number and JetBlue Record Locator
Body of the email: Customer Name, details of the request (i.e. refund or change fee waiver)Once verified, JetBlue will send an OSI with a waiver code approving the refund or the change fee waiver. At that time, you may proceed with processing the ticket changes through your GDS.Illness
ARC Agencies: In the event a customer is requesting a refund due to them or a family member being seriously ill, JetBlue's policy is that all nonrefundable tickets are nonrefundable. If the customer wishes to cancel their flights, the ticket can remain in 'OPEN' status for use by the customer at a later date, at which point the appropriate change fee would be applied. Tickets are valid one year from the original date of ticket issuance. A second option would be to exchange the value of the ticket less the change/cancellation fee to an MCO. MCOs are valid for one year from the original date of MCO issuance.
Old Apr 22, 18, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The contract provides for a refund. Why on earth do anything else? It will be issued to the original form of payment.

There is zero chance that the ticket will create an empty seat next to you. That will happen or not as the load determines.
moulder3 likes this.
Old Apr 22, 18, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
The contract provides for a refund. Why on earth do anything else? It will be issued to the original form of payment.

There is zero chance that the ticket will create an empty seat next to you. That will happen or not as the load determines.
That was the real question. I am reasonably sure I could get a refund, but when I purchased the ticket it was pretty cheap - getting everyone to the airport is going to cost me more than the ticket refund. I wanted opinions on if holding onto the ticket was going to increase the chances of having an extra empty seat, or if it likely will not (these are even more room seats).
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
That was the real question. I am reasonably sure I could get a refund, but when I purchased the ticket it was pretty cheap - getting everyone to the airport is going to cost me more than the ticket refund. I wanted opinions on if holding onto the ticket was going to increase the chances of having an extra empty seat, or if it likely will not (these are even more room seats).
If you do nothing, your father will simply be a no show and the seat assigned to someone awaiting a seat assignment. It is always possible that it won't be assigned, but that is also possible if there is no need of the seat.
Old Apr 22, 18, 3:12 pm

Programs: SQ - KrisFlyer
If this is a return ticket and outbound is a no show there is a chance you will get the assigned seat empty. However on the return the ticket will have already been canceled due to the no show on the outbound leg so there is a high chance someone else will be in the seat.
Old Apr 22, 18, 5:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Perhaps having the name on the ticket switched to an empty seat? I know they allow for this when booking, might be allowed if you get a friendly agent.
Old Apr 22, 18, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

I tried that with Delta (we are Delta one way, JetBlue the other) but they refused. I am going to wait until a week out and see how the flight looks for seats then.
Old Apr 23, 18, 10:03 am

JetBlue reps are quite helpful in situations like this. When my grandmother passed away my father and my aunt (my father's sister) had had tickets to visit her. They refunded without a problem with no charges
Old Apr 25, 18, 12:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, D23 Charter Member, Southwest A-LIst, JetBlue Mosaic
Sorry for your loss