Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jet Blue at Fort Lauderdale Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Is it just me, or does Jet Blue have a serious problem at Ft. Lauderdale airport? I returned yesterday from a cruise, went to the airport for my return flight to Boston (which, by the way, with all the complaints I hear about Logan Airport, Jet Blue was just fine there). Upon arriving at FLL, I noticed that Jet Blue had no curbside luggage check-in. I thought this unusual, as all the other airlines seemed to have them. I entered the airport and discovered lines like I couldn't believe. I looked for a Jet Blue rep, to give me assistance as where to go, as all of the lines seemed intermingled. Not a one. A found a few kiosks where, it seemed, you could print your own luggage tag for the flight. I finally maneuvered my way there, and it was difficult to use. Again, I looked for some assistance...no one in site, others at other kiosks were having similar problems. I finally, after a considerable amount of time, I got it. Another half-hour in line for someone to actually take the luggage, and then it was on to the Security line. I had purchased one of Jet Blue's EVEN MORE SPEED options, which had worked fine in Boston. In FLL, I asked a Jet Blue agent where to go for the MORE SPEED line, and she pointed me to a line. The agent (not Jet Blue) at the gateway bar-coded by boarding pass and pointed me to the general line. I said, No, I paid for the EVEN MORE SPEED line. He told me none existed and to move on. So much for EVEN MORE SPEED. I asked a supervisor at my flight's gate what was the story. He told me there DEFINITELY was a MORE SPEED line for Jet Blue, and I should have seen a clerk. Had I done that, I probably would STILL be waiting in line. I have since called Jet Blue, and gotten an assortment of different excuses as to what went wrong. No one seems to have a clue. While I understand that security is run by the TSA and not Jet Blue, why is Jet Blue offering an EVEN MORE SPEED line if none exists? And what's with the no curbside checking-in? No one has provided an answer to that one at all. This, by the way, is the THIRD time this has happened to me, and yes, I know that I should just get the TSA Check, but still...I also know that FLL is and always will be a zoo on a Sunday, but Jet Blue apparently has no desire to make it slightly more comfortable.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I can't say I've shared your experience on B6 at FLL. The setup at FLL is not anywhere near like Terminal 5 at JFK as they don't control the terminal. Even More Speed is definitely a thing at FLL and the airport contract agent seems to be the one who mislead you. On a crowded day it would seem like they wanted the easy for them route instead of doing their job but that is just an assumption.

You say this has happened to you now 3 times? Either you have a lot of bad luck or something seems amiss in possibly understanding how things work. Curbside checkin is only available for B6 at JFK. This may have a lot to do with staffing and control of the terminal which they do not have at FLL, or any other airport.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply.
This was Terminal C at FLL. Jet Blue had, for the past several years, curbside check in. No reason was given for it not being available.
Yes...3 years. Same thing regarding EXTRA SPEED. Different responses from various Jet Blue personnel regarding their policies.
This situation did not exist at Logan. It is a definite Jet Blue problem. Once through security, they were fine. Definitely a customer service issue. I know nothing is perfect, but this should not be acceptable. .
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
JetBlue's website specifically spells out that curbside checkin is only available at JFK now. They had it at a few airports and removed it for one of a few possible reasons. Staffing, demand & operational logistics probably didn't make sense to B6 at FLL as it didn't at other airports. It's not an option at all so it's not that it wasn't available when you wanted to use it.

Poor Airport Contract agents is worth complaining about, to both B6 & the airport authority, but there is not as much B6 can do about it. Last time I flew through FLL on B6, about two years ago, I do remember seeing EMS signage as I looked for the PreCheck line. Being told it's closed, isn't available or to just go to the regular line is annoying but that is TSA and/or the airport over B6 operations. TSA and airport agents are not customer service focused and do what they want as accountability is low.
Old Feb 19, 2018, 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by hybucket
Thanks for your reply.
This was Terminal C at FLL. Jet Blue had, for the past several years, curbside check in. No reason was given for it not being available.
Yes...3 years. Same thing regarding EXTRA SPEED. Different responses from various Jet Blue personnel regarding their policies.
This situation did not exist at Logan. It is a definite Jet Blue problem. Once through security, they were fine. Definitely a customer service issue. I know nothing is perfect, but this should not be acceptable. .
FYI, there is no Terminal C at FLL.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:34 am

Yeah, B6 uses Terminal 3 and Concourses E & F within terminal 3 at FLL.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: Delta, JetBlue, Marriott
I think the issues you described (other than the curbside luggage check) stemmed from coming off a cruise rather than B6. Cruise days are the absolute worst days to fly in and out of FLL. When a cruise gets to port, everyone on the ship seems to go to the airport at the same time, regardless of when their flight leaves. So, you essentially have an onslaught of passengers checking in at one time, even though many of them may on flights five-six hours later. On a popular cruise day, you may have two or three cruise ships coming / going, adding to the chaos. I accidentally booked a flight out of FLL on a cruise day and it was the exact same thing you described. WN is just as chaotic on cruise days.

If you take a cruise again and fly through FLL, try taking a flight the next day, or even take a later flight and wait to go to the airport. You will be amazed at how a couple of hours can make a difference.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
Yeah, B6 uses Terminal 3 and Concourses E & F within terminal 3 at FLL.
Right! This is terminal 3 concourse E & F. I knew they do not have curbside check-in at FLL anymore. They should hired a skycaps who works for curbside check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.