Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALL YOU CAN JET promotion

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 6:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I would claim the value is less than the fare, since I'd be taking some flights that I wouldn't take if I had to pay for. But that's just the value to me, not the market value. Market value is the actual fare, presumably as of the date the ticket was booked. (That says to book early and often, since there's no cost to cancel.)
Old Dec 4, 2017, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you certain that the IRS would treat the value of an essentially unlimited travel pass as the value of just the flights actually taken?
I'm willing to take that risk.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Lowest available fare when the travel pass flights are booked?
This is what I would use.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The problem with using actual fares is that you don't know them. You win on 12/27/2017 so it's 2017 income, you don't know what you actually flew until 12/31/2018. I guess you could file an amended return.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: Free agent, value for my money
I wonder if the winner gets a 2017 1099-MISC from JetBlue for $20K, has to pay tax on that, then gets the use of the tickets during 2018?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
[QUOTE=notthatdeadyet;29137792]I wonder if the winner gets a 2017 1099-MISC from JetBlue for $20K, has to pay tax on that, then gets the use of the tickets during 2018

no that’s not how it should work. If you get a free buffet you wouldn’t be taxed on the value of all the food in the joint when you eat it. You’re winning coupons which I suppose buried in the fine print says something that the prize is subject to their cancellation. Now you might get hit with something Based on estimated value but you could certainly contest the value if it was high.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Now you might get hit with something Based on estimated value but you could certainly contest the value if it was high.
The fine print explicitly says the ARV of the prize is $20,000. :-:
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12
The fine print explicitly says the ARV of the prize is $20,000. :-:
You could win a car where the fine print explicitly says the value is $75,000 but if you sell it immediately for $60,000 (to an unrelated person) the IRS will accept that as the FMV.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
[QUOTE=ucfjoe;29157561]
Originally Posted by notthatdeadyet
I wonder if the winner gets a 2017 1099-MISC from JetBlue for $20K, has to pay tax on that, then gets the use of the tickets during 2018

no that’s not how it should work. If you get a free buffet you wouldn’t be taxed on the value of all the food in the joint when you eat it. You’re winning coupons which I suppose buried in the fine print says something that the prize is subject to their cancellation. Now you might get hit with something Based on estimated value but you could certainly contest the value if it was high.
But will the IRS permit the taxpayer to rely on post-12/31/17 events to determine the taxable value of a prize won in 2017? I guess we need an accountant to weigh in on that one.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I'm not an accountant but I've won big ticket items before. I've always had to fill out a tax form before receiving the prize. My guess is if it's awarded in 2017, it applies to 2017.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
All I can think of is that you would file the taxes this year with the declared amount, and each time you book your flight make note of the cheapest available coach ticket for that seat, and then file an amended return if you did not have an actual $20,000 worth of benefit?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger

2) MAIL-IN ENTRY METHOD: During the Sweepstakes Period, hand print your complete name, address including zip code, daytime and evening telephone numbers including area code and a valid e-mail address (optional) on a 3" x 5" piece of paper and mail it in an envelope with sufficient postage to: All You Can Jet Sweepstakes c/o Centra 360, 1400 Old Country Road, Suite 417, Westbury, NY 11590 ("Free Entry Method" or "Free Entries"). All Free Entries must be postmarked by 12/15/2017 and received by 12/22/2017. For all Free Entries: Limit one Entry per envelope, per day. Purchase Entries and Free Entries are individually defined as "Entry" and collectively defined as "Entries".
My interpretation of the 'one Entry per envelope, per day' is that it's their way of saying a maximum 15 mail-in entries that must be postmarked by the 15th and received by the 22nd, and not that one needs to be mailed everyday starting on the 1st. Then I came here and you all FUBAR'd my confidence and all that I believe. Thanks. Thanks a lot.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I sent in one entry, which statistically should be about the same as one per day; I'll worry about the taxes when I win.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'd imagine that anyone who wants to earn or retain status probably wouldn't want this prize. If the winner earns/retains status via credit card spend, then they can really make full use of this prize, since the flights are "free" and the benefits are the same.

Last edited by diburning; Dec 14, 2017 at 4:54 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:09 pm

If you choose to give up a year of flights at ~30% of face value just to maintain elite status or earn points I'd argue you've made a horrible mistake. I want to pay 2x+ for airfare just so I can have elite status is about as ridiculous an idea I've heard in a long time now.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
I would take the 20K value as a challenge for me to book that much travel. Just going to Florida over February break would save me 800-1000 for 2 people on 1 flight. I might even get creative and try to fly from NYC-BOS via SFO or SJU or ... I would probably give up Mosaic Status for 2019 if I won this contest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.