FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Just found some $399 mint fares BOS-LAX! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1878771-just-found-some-399-mint-fares-bos-lax.html)

Vincent Zuo Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Just found some $399 mint fares BOS-LAX!

I never knew they went so low! Is this new?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0df40629d3.png

tphuang Nov 21, 2017 3:43 pm

I think for the thanksgiving few days, they have several $399 fares on the various routes.

RWPrincess Nov 21, 2017 3:55 pm

I had a JFK-LAX seat back in September for 43,500 points.

diburning Nov 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by RWPrincess (Post 29086992)
I had a JFK-LAX seat back in September for 43,500 points.

That doesn't seem to be out of the ordinary. The fare was probably $549-599 at the time. I paid 45,300 points for a seat selling for $599 back in September for BOS-LAX, and that seems to be the going rate for points bookings for that fare.

keatm1 Nov 29, 2017 10:51 am

Would appreciate some MINT advice...are the MINT prices dynamic? (ie. do they go up and down or only up) - I'm looking at LAS to BOS in Jan and the MINT prices for both flights are already at $1149 with only 3 seats sold. Any advice or experience with pricing being reduced ? Thanks

OEBB Nov 29, 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by keatm1 (Post 29114162)
Would appreciate some MINT advice...are the MINT prices dynamic? (ie. do they go up and down or only up) - I'm looking at LAS to BOS in Jan and the MINT prices for both flights are already at $1149 with only 3 seats sold. Any advice or experience with pricing being reduced ? Thanks

Have some experience monitoring this, but was last Jan and JFK-LAX so many not apply. In my experience, prices are fairly high until about a month out and then, assuming a fair amount of seats remaining, prices will start to come down. But even on JFK-LAX this usually only happens for early morning and late night flights. Prices may be well into the $1,000+ range but a couple of flights will usually drop to $759 with a couple of weeks before departure. Of course, waiting for this you risk the flight booking and the price not dropping.

I suggest setting up Google flight tracking so you can monitor.

StingWest Nov 30, 2017 9:11 am

Originally Posted by keatm1 (Post 29114162)

After reading your post I checked some more flights in January on your route, and yes they seem to be generally $1149 each way (except for one on Friday Jan 12 for $2283!)! And this is for flights that based on the seat map are less than 1/2 full in Mint.

Going back to flights in the next 30 days, I notice that Mint is not offered in mid December, so it looks like we have an aircraft change in January (Mint seating added) to make any price predictions even more difficult. In this case. Maybe JetBlue will be trying out higher fares at first to see "what sticks", so yes keep an eye on pricing, but it's so hard to predict!

Edit: Further research shows that JetBlue may be the only airline offering non-stop daytime flights on this route - just checked a few dates in January though.

tphuang Nov 30, 2017 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by keatm1

Originally Posted by StingWest (Post 29117959)
After reading your post I checked some more flights in January on your route, and yes they seem to be generally $1149 each way (except for one on Friday Jan 12 for $2283!)! And this is for flights that based on the seat map are less than 1/2 full in Mint.

Going back to flights in the next 30 days, I notice that Mint is not offered in mid December, so it looks like we have an aircraft change in January (Mint seating added) to make any price predictions even more difficult. In this case. Maybe JetBlue will be trying out higher fares at first to see "what sticks", so yes keep an eye on pricing, but it's so hard to predict!

Edit: Further research shows that JetBlue may be the only airline offering non-stop daytime flights on this route - just checked a few dates in January though.

Yes, BOS-LAS gets mint in January. Only 2 out of 4 daily flights (like on JFK-LAS).

Jetblue prices higher because it's the only non-ULCC airline on this route. It's the only mint route out of BOS that's priced higher than JFK because of that. I don't think price can go much higher than $1100, so it might be worth waiting for it to come down a little or if there is a discount like the recent sales for early December.

As a general rule though, mint is generally pretty competitively priced, so I wouldn't expect for prices to come down too much outside of major sales.

keatm1 Dec 1, 2017 9:33 am

Thanks for the feedback! Just put in some random dates and the pricing seems to have little to do with seats sold - check out the prices for 12 Jan - $2283 OW - or should i say WOW!

keatm1 Dec 5, 2017 3:59 am

Additional MINT question folks..

If i book a Blue Flex fare - can i upgrade to MINT for the fare difference?

AutoSlash Dec 5, 2017 4:47 am

Originally Posted by keatm1 (Post 29135965)
Additional MINT question folks..

If i book a Blue Flex fare - can i upgrade to MINT for the fare difference?

Yes, basically. Blue Flex fares are fully refundable without a fee, so you can just cancel your Blue Flex and re-book Mint if you wish.

djplong Dec 5, 2017 8:25 am

Just for reference, on Labor day weekend, I upgraded my Even More Space seat to Mint for $549 at the gate - they said they had one Mint seat left.. I was then able to call JetBlue after the flight to get my $99 EMS upgrade refunded, so the net was $450.

diburning Dec 5, 2017 7:58 pm

How is it a net of $450 if you paid $99 then paid another $549, (for a total of $648) then got your $99 back (for a total of $549)?

joachimm Dec 5, 2017 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 29139375)
How is it a net of $450 if you paid $99 then paid another $549, (for a total of $648) then got your $99 back (for a total of $549)?

I think the poster is saying the difference between EMS and Mint is only $450.

s0ssos Dec 5, 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by diburning (Post 29139375)

A variant of the sunk cost fallacy?