Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 points are basically an international dead end, no?

Old Nov 12, 2017, 9:54 am
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM

Hi all -- I'm usually a UA flier but at end of this year am defecting to a yet-to-be-chosen carrier, based on info I'm trying to gather now.

I've flown on B6 a few times, I did their 75,000 match challenge last year and have a significant points balance, enough that would on some other airlines give me multiple award trips to EU, Asia, etc. (I fly a little bit domestically for business/personal, more for international, ~1x per month).

But from all that I can see in the Jetblue partners info pages, there are basically no international carriers to spend my points on, is that correct? Even to figure out that you can redeem on Hawaiian was difficult to understand. I basically am stuck with flying on Jetblue and noone else, is that right?

Miles come in from international partners, but can't go anywhere?

edit: I am on the West Coast, fly SFO-NYC(EWR) usually when domestic, otherwise international. So also JFK is a bit less convenient, adding to my evaluation against switching to B6...

Last edited by TA; Nov 12, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Nov 12, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
You can redeem them for Flights in coach on Hawaiian. Have to call TrueBlue to iniate the redemption.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TA
I basically am stuck with flying on Jetblue and noone else, is that right?
Or HA, but yes.

Also, JetBlue has a lot of international routes, but they are all Caribbean/LatAm, not Europe/Asia.

Originally Posted by TA
Miles come in from international partners, but can't go anywhere?
Correct.

Originally Posted by TA
edit: I am on the West Coast, fly SFO-NYC(EWR) usually when domestic, otherwise international. So also JFK is a bit less convenient, adding to my evaluation against switching to B6...
Sounds like it is not a great program for your needs.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Free agent
The HA redemptions are a good value imo.

Internationally, you've got a pretty good size route into CA/SA. You can also toss those miles on a Mint seat to the islands when they swap the A321TC over during the winter months.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
The HA redemptions are a good value imo.

Internationally, you've got a pretty good size route into CA/SA. You can also toss those miles on a Mint seat to the islands when they swap the A321TC over during the winter months.
What's the value they assign on HA? How much do they value each TrueBlue point towards the cost of the HA ticket?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:28 pm

Seems to be about 1.2 for JFK-HON

It should be noted you can still redeem B6 miles for HON-SYD flights as of last year so you can get JFK->HON->SYD with miles (Although the connection is NOT ideal iirc)
Old Nov 13, 2017, 2:51 pm

Just called in.

Random July 2018 dates for JFK SYD yielded ->

152900 miles total, JFK->HON->SYD. The CSR indicated that the connection was long (22 hours) and that the flights were priced as single legs and thus quite a bit higher.

It's also possible to route JFK->LAS (In Mint)->HON->SYD but I didn't go too far down that rabbit hole.
Old Nov 19, 2017, 3:33 pm
TA
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM
Thanks, all for your comments!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:53 pm

Frankly, I think the value in TrueBlue is on their domestic and Caribbean nonstop flights. They don't require a lot of points to redeem (especially on vacation packages--seems like you get a bit of a point discount) and they're also easy to earn. 6 points when using the website + 6 points when using their card. I think the best way to use the TrueBlue program for the average consumer is to take one or two Caribbean or Domestic vacations every year using their Plus card (for the free checked bags, $100 vacation credit, 10% redemption bonus and 5,000-point annual bonus). You'll save yourself $400-$600 dollars on a vacation every year and earn points.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 2:04 pm

In addition to what all have said, B6 has recently published a standard award chart for Hawaiian redemptions - still need to call though.

Also, there is a very high likelihood that they will add flights to Europe (think London, Paris, Amsterdam) from JFK (also BOS, maybe FLL) when they take delivery of the ER a321's in the next few years.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by bosflyer93
In addition to what all have said, B6 has recently published a standard award chart for Hawaiian redemptions - still need to call though.

Also, there is a very high likelihood that they will add flights to Europe (think London, Paris, Amsterdam) from JFK (also BOS, maybe FLL) when they take delivery of the ER a321's in the next few years.
I don't think the A321 NEO ERs could make it to Europe from FLL. Boston, however, definitely seems likely.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:00 am

but it would allow flying to brazil from FLL or JFK to Lima, which would be nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.