BOS-MSP starts 3 May 2018

Old Sep 30, 18, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
It's doing very well. Every flight is going out either full or close to full. The cheap flights are due to Sun Country trying to sell cheap tickets to try to get JetBlue out of their turf, and JetBlue is matching knowing that they can beat them on hard and soft product, and the low fares will backfire on Sun Country since JetBlue is operating the route with ~three times the capacity. Once Sun Country completes their transition to full on ULCC, JetBlue won't need to match them anymore.

The restyled A320s (there are currently three) roam the system, and aren't assigned to any particular routes. The tail numbers are N568JB, N570JB, and N646JB.

Last edited by diburning; Sep 30, 18 at 9:41 pm
Old Oct 1, 18, 6:55 am

It's always easier for an airline to fill cabin during summer time. Having said that, they have been doing pretty well in May/June considering it's a new service to an airport where they have no presence. I'm sure it improved during peak summer period.

SY is making this route seasonal, so I think B6 has some breathing room. Long term, I think this will be a good route for A220 to operate so they can be maybe go to 4 daily while maintaining same capacity.

T-100 data for June. the most recent month we have data on.
Carrier Boarded ASM LF PerFlight
DL 52650 57599 91.41% 170
NK 7459 8805 84.71% 147
SY 14151 17730 79.81% 164
B6 22352 27168 82.27% 151
Old Oct 6, 18, 7:33 pm
soy

Programs: Rapidly decreasing - BA Silver, O6 *G, HH DIA, Mrr PLT, Assorted debris
Flown it a couple of times and planes pretty full. DL must be pissed, they were routinely charging $1k for a round trip. Now prices are closer to $300.
RWPrincess likes this.
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
It's always easier for an airline to fill cabin during summer time. Having said that, they have been doing pretty well in May/June considering it's a new service to an airport where they have no presence. I'm sure it improved during peak summer period.

SY is making this route seasonal, so I think B6 has some breathing room. Long term, I think this will be a good route for A220 to operate so they can be maybe go to 4 daily while maintaining same capacity.

T-100 data for June. the most recent month we have data on.
Carrier Boarded ASM LF PerFlight
DL 52650 57599 91.41% 170
NK 7459 8805 84.71% 147
SY 14151 17730 79.81% 164
B6 22352 27168 82.27% 151
Below system average for LF and not commanding a fare premium. I doubt the route gets dropped just for those numbers but I also wouldn't say it is a bright star performance-wise in the network.
Old Oct 7, 18, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Below system average for LF and not commanding a fare premium. I doubt the route gets dropped just for those numbers but I also wouldn't say it is a bright star performance-wise in the network.
They are definitely not commanding a fare premium. BTS just published fare data for Q2. Numbers don't look great considering it's distance,, but this is still early. SY is going seasonal so it might take a while go things to settle.
Old Oct 9, 18, 12:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, D23 Charter Member, Southwest A-LIst, JetBlue Mosaic
Originally Posted by LAKings View Post
Does anyone know how this route is doing? I moved to Minneapolis 14 months ago and was disappointed that JetBlue didn't service MSP, but was estactic when this was announced! I actually haven't flown B6 since 2010 or 2011, but have kept tabs on the airline and been accruing points since the Barclays card came out.

Are these flights full? Do they fly the restyled A320 or was that just for the inaugural? I've noticed that flights are very cheap to BOS, under $80 each way typically. Connecting beyond BOS seems expensive as is typical for B6, but I managed to find a really good deal to continue onto LGA. Looking forward to returning to flying B6 but just curious if they are doing well enough to maintain 3x daily or even add service to JFK or FLL.
I just booked a flight on this route as well and I concur that connecting via LGA was cheaper than JFK. This is often the case with MCO flights as well. So if you're doing this, check both airports. This will be my first time flying B6 with a connection but total cost was around $300 and the layovers were less than 2 hours and the times worked for my schedule. So after years of not being able to fly JetBlue to MSP, I'm excited to be able to do so. I do hope some NY frequency is added in the future though.
Old Oct 10, 18, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
They are definitely not commanding a fare premium. BTS just published fare data for Q2. Numbers don't look great considering it's distance,, but this is still early. SY is going seasonal so it might take a while go things to settle.
Yeah I was surprised to see the cheap fares considering the distance, but it's great to hear that the route is doing well and that there are other factors too.
Old Oct 10, 18, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by RWPrincess View Post
I just booked a flight on this route as well and I concur that connecting via LGA was cheaper than JFK. This is often the case with MCO flights as well. So if you're doing this, check both airports. This will be my first time flying B6 with a connection but total cost was around $300 and the layovers were less than 2 hours and the times worked for my schedule. So after years of not being able to fly JetBlue to MSP, I'm excited to be able to do so. I do hope some NY frequency is added in the future though.
I came to the same conclusion. However, flying into LGA is preferred right now due to the Marine Air Terminal location. I've never flown B6 with a connection either, but going forward I won't mind connecting through Boston, because as you mentioned the schedules line up with not too long of a layover. Going anywhere other than BOS or LGA seems to command a high price, but if NYC is my final destination and the price is right than I'd rather connect on B6 than fly direct through another airline.
Old Oct 10, 18, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by LAKings View Post
Yeah I was surprised to see the cheap fares considering the distance, but it's great to hear that the route is doing well and that there are other factors too.
It's doing kind of what you would expect. They are not going to make money on it in all likelihood, but it's a place they have to serve. And with SY going seasonal, things will get easier.