Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jay_dubya
As discovered by BeantownFlyer, there are lots of details on JetBlue's website
Originally Posted by jspira
"The Group B boarding group will be for those with window seats in the back half of the plane. Group C is for passengers in middle seats in the back and front window seats. Group D is for passengers with aisle seats in the back and middle seats up front, while Group E will be for passengers with aisle seats in the forward part of the aircraft...."

From JetBlue to Unveil New Boarding Process
JetBlue will board those passengers traveling in Mint on aircraft with a Mint cabin as well as those with TrueBlue Mosaic elite status first. The next group, Group A, will be for those passengers in the airline’s Even More Space premium economy-lite seats. In between Group A and Group B, families with small children may board.

The Group B boarding group will be for those with window seats in the back half of the plane. Group C is for passengers in middle seats in the back and front window seats. Group D is for passengers with aisle seats in the back and middle seats up front, while Group E will be for passengers with aisle seats in the forward part of the aircraft.

Smaller aircraft will have one fewer boarding group.
Print Wikipost

New Boarding Process

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Free agent
I've now had to deal with the boarding process as a non-Mosaic and without EMS.

It's a disaster.

I always fly in the front half in an aisle and in my last 3 flights I've had to gate check for the first time in nearly a decade.

I guess it's my fault for not wanting to sit in a middle EMS seat in the back half of the plane.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Brighton Line
If both on the same PNR then you both get the lower boarding group of the two I believe.
Originally Posted by octr202
Interesting that this happened when your seats were not together! It definitely happens when two seats booked together on same PNR (and physically next to each other, such as window and aisle on E190)- every trip for us that's held, board with earliest group.
I discovered recently that for this to work, you have to *check in* together. When you do mobile check-in, you have the option of selecting one customer on the PNR or all of them.

On a recent flight, when my partner and I checked in individually, he did not get group A from my Mosaic status, despite being in the seat next to me. On the next flight, I checked us both in simultaneously on the app, and we both got Group A. Ditto for a recent trip when I checked us both in at a kiosk.

I do wish the app would let you select *which* boarding pass to add to Apple Wallet, as right now it gives all the BPs to all the passengers on the PNR.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Slouchman
Outbound: Didnt work for me at all....in the front of the plane aisle and by the time they let Group E on...overhead space is gone.
The last group on a full flight is pretty much always going to have no overhead space. If you need overhead space, book in the back half of the plane. You're much more likely to have overhead space, both because you'll be in an earlier group, and because the rear bins fill up faster.

If you need seating up front *and* guaranteed bin space, then buy EMS.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 10:26 am

Well, I've finally caved and started booking windows in the back when the EMS seats are too expensive on my way in to JFK. The time saved from having my baggage on hand via Group B boarding (having lost Mosaic) is more than the time lost from having to wait to disembark.

Does anyone know where the split from B to C/D starts row-wise?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have had nothing but terrible experiences with JB since they updated their boarding process. It seems that no matter what seat I choose (aisle or window not EMS) I am group D or E, and I am being forced to check my overhead bag. Half the time when I walk on the plane there is plenty of room for my bag. I should not have to check my bag simply because I want an aisle seat. I now only fly DL and WN.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum
This has been nightmare-ish for me, as well. I've also struggling to see the value of holding the B6 credit card - I feel they should mimic DL and let CC holders board in the front part of the boarding process. What really grinds my gears is when people dump their stuff in the front bins and then head to the back. I am sure it would open up a can of worms if we needed FA to police where people were putting their stuff, but it is just infuriating to walk into the plane as one of the first C people (not even D/E!) and everything is already full. Also, I've now had to gate check 9 of the last 10 flights and I've been told numerous times that my bag will be available on the jetbridge, only to be told (after waiting) that I have to go to baggage claim. Again, minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but if other airlines can figure it out, why can't B6? I can't recall the last time I've had to gate check on another airline.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold, National Executive, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Sallycat
This has been nightmare-ish for me, as well. I've also struggling to see the value of holding the B6 credit card - I feel they should mimic DL and let CC holders board in the front part of the boarding process. What really grinds my gears is when people dump their stuff in the front bins and then head to the back. I am sure it would open up a can of worms if we needed FA to police where people were putting their stuff, but it is just infuriating to walk into the plane as one of the first C people (not even D/E!) and everything is already full. Also, I've now had to gate check 9 of the last 10 flights and I've been told numerous times that my bag will be available on the jetbridge, only to be told (after waiting) that I have to go to baggage claim. Again, minor inconvenience in the grand scheme of things, but if other airlines can figure it out, why can't B6? I can't recall the last time I've had to gate check on another airline.
I 100% agree with everything you said. It’s also ridiculous that they don’t upgrade Mosaic to EMS and Mint for free like the other airlines. Also JB needs lounges especially in their focus cities. DL will get all of the business travelers in Boston.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Traveler_boy_25

I 100% agree with everything you said. It’s also ridiculous that they don’t upgrade Mosaic to EMS and Mint for free like the other airlines. Also JB needs lounges especially in their focus cities. DL will get all of the business travelers in Boston.
To be fair, it's pretty much free. Mile upgrades for EMS cost little to nothing in dollar value. Also, you can usually get an EMS upgrade as a Mosaic at the gate if you ask very nicely.

Anyone have an answer as to where the actual cutoff is for the groups by row?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Anyone have an answer as to where the actual cutoff is for the groups by row?
I found this from https://upgradedpoints.com/jetblue-boarding-groups/

JetBlue’s boarding procedure assigns groups for general boarding based on the number of passengers on the plane and where they are seated.
Your boarding group is based on the specific seat you are assigned to (not the row), and it’s designed to stagger passengers in each group so everyone has enough space to get settled.
Because of the way they do this, it is not possible to choose a seat to get yourself into an earlier boarding group. For each flight, the same seat may be in a different boarding group depending on the other passengers and their seating locations.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:40 am

That's terrible news, I guess I'll just err further back and hope for the best.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
That's terrible news, I guess I'll just err further back and hope for the best.
That's the main problem with B6. We shouldn't have to suffer and sit in the back just to try to board early.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 10:45 am

I guess if I was still flying enough for Mosaic it would matter but my flights have dropped dramatically this year.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 4:20 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That's the main problem with B6. We shouldn't have to suffer and sit in the back just to try to board early.
Seems like an economic compromise.

Some folks get on early but have to sit in the back.
Other folks get on late but get to sit up front.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Well, you can't all board at once. Someone has to board early. People boarding take time to drop what they're holding onto their seat, put their carryon in the overhead, stow their personal item, pick up the stuff they dropped onto the seat, double check their boarding pass for their seat assignment, sit down, and get settled in. So, it makes sense to board back to front. Most airlines assign boarding groups in a similar fashion (with the real difference being that other airlines typically have a forward cabin, but given the small number of seats in the forward cabins that Economy passengers have to walk through, it's not really a big deal).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 11:36 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Has the boarding process been tweaked again with the introduction of basic fares?

Just checked in for an E190 flight tomorrow- booked using points before the introduction of basic, so definitely not on a basic fare.

I’m in 15B and I'm in group E, which I thought they didn’t even used to have for the E190s. (And which I would assume if they added, would only be for basic fares, since they are supposed to board last?)

Last edited by dw; Dec 23, 2019 at 11:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.