Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Tax on canceled award not refunded

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2017, 8:31 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Apologies if this has already been discussed, please feel free to merge in that case.

I had to cancel my Mint award from JFK-SFO, which cost me a $150 fee. The taxes were not a big deal on this ticket, only about $6, but the agent wouldn't apply it against the cancellation fee, nor would he refund it.

Instead he put it in my "travel bank" where it will expire if not used within 365 days.

As a general policy, this really sucks. Some places (like the UK) have a huge passenger tax; out of LHR it can be as high as $200. I know of no other airline that has a policy like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
It might be because the tax is remitted to the government soon after the ticket is issued. (That link is outdated though, the taxes are higher now)

And knowing how crappy JetBlue's IT is, they probably have no way to refund the taxes by itself.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
B6 doesn't fly out of the UK, so no worry on the APD.

The $5.60 you are referring to is an airport security fee which is immediately paid over by the carrier to TSA.

It is a courtesy that B6 is issuing a credit. Perhaps better not to do anything and simply advise passengers that the funds have already been paid over.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:43 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have no way to judge the info on the site listed in post #2 other than to note that it appears to be paid for by a number of for-profit companies who likely have their own axe to grind.

I do see that the article states on its face that the information does not apply to the TSA fees, which are paid to Homeland Security rather than Transportation. There was no transportation tax on my award ticket since it is a free ticket.

I also know that United, an airline hardly known for being passenger friendly, does return these fees on cancellation.

So while I appreciate the speculation, I don't think that explains the result.

Thanks for the posts.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
According to the TSA's own site, The fee must be remitted by the carrier by the end of the next calendar month.

According to Southwest, the fee is completely refundable. Their page is also useful in that they list all of the airport imposed fees (for the airports that they serve anyway) for revenue tickets.

So, I guess it's just JetBlue's IT being unable to handle the refund.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: B6, AA, AS
We just cancelled award flights too recently.

Miles returned.

Taxes into bank also.

We don't mind. We will use them.

Just another data point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.