Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Planning Additional Terminal and Expansion at JFK

JetBlue Planning Additional Terminal and Expansion at JFK

Reply

Old Jul 21, 17, 7:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: New York and Vienna
Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Posts: 3,793
JetBlue Planning Additional Terminal and Expansion at JFK

Given B6's growth in New York and all the talk about increased international flying, this makes a lot of sense.

Considering how much effort JetBlue has put into designing a friendly T5, this could be even more of a game changer.

JetBlue to Expand Dramatically at JFK with Second Terminal
JetBlue Airways announced plans Friday to expand its presence at John F. Kennedy International Airport through the development of a new and additional terminal.

The New York-based airline released a Request for Qualifications Friday seeking companies to develop the former Terminal 6 site at the airport and possibly the current Terminal 7 site for its use...

<SNIP>
This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
jspira is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 17, 7:39 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 763
I find T5 to be the nicest terminal in JFK. At present time, # of slots is the major limiting factor to further B6 expansion, but maybe gate will be that way in the future. Either way, good to see B6 invest in more terminal space.
tphuang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 17, 10:19 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NYC
Programs: TrueBlue, Hyatt
Posts: 40
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
I find T5 to be the nicest terminal in JFK. At present time, # of slots is the major limiting factor to further B6 expansion, but maybe gate will be that way in the future. Either way, good to see B6 invest in more terminal space.
Agreed, not surprised to hear this given the route expansion rumors lately. But in order for any of it to happen, they're going to have get more slots at JFK which could be rough
Intheair2night is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 17, 11:12 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Posts: 33,588
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
I find T5 to be the nicest terminal in JFK. At present time, # of slots is the major limiting factor to further B6 expansion, but maybe gate will be that way in the future. Either way, good to see B6 invest in more terminal space.
Yes, they will have more room for international flights out of JFK. Right now, they don't have new slots available during at that time. Too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff.

Originally Posted by Intheair2night View Post
Agreed, not surprised to hear this given the route expansion rumors lately. But in order for any of it to happen, they're going to have get more slots at JFK which could be rough
I don't think it's happening anytime soon. No new slots available. Due to slot controlled. Too many aircraft are awaited for takeoff. JFK is not an option.
N830MH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 17, 10:04 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Brooklyn
Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Posts: 405
I suspect that they will be offering gates to more international airlines. That way they can expand their international presence via codeshares and alliances.


From the article:
In addition to the development of the Terminal 6 and possibly the Terminal 7 site, the project would include new international gates for JetBlue and partner airlines, a landside and an airside connector to JetBlue’s existing terminal at JFK, Terminal 5, and new roadways that would allow greater access to the new facilities.
AMflier is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 17, 9:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Programs: Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Posts: 860
I think some of the expanded terminal will be used by B6 partners. I could see Icelandair, El Al, and TAP move into T5/T6 with them. I would also say the ME3, but I don't see them building A380 capable gates at T5/T6. The 330 (TAP), 757 (Icelandair), and 787 (replacing the 747s for El Al within the next few years) should all be able to fit.
DA201 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 18, 6:41 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 763
Jetblue's bid got accepted. Looks like they are the winner here alongside the current T1 operator. Not surprised that AA got nothing out of this with their current lack of focus in NYC. Delta will probably have all of T4 now with a couple of partners like VS and AM.

The new south terminal is going to look pretty amazing with 22 wide body gates. I'm going to enjoy flying out of there. And new North terminal (T5 to 7) is going to add 12 wide body gates or (19 narrow body gates) on top of the 29 they have in T5.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/10/4/1793...omo-renderings

Will be interesting to see what happens to slot restriction.

here is the link about fixing runway and adding "high-speed" taxiway, which might ease slot restriction when completed.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/9/28/1791...-speed-taxiway

The 10,000-foot-long runway, called runway 13L and 13R since they run east and west on the airport’s north side, handles nearly half of JFK’s arriving planes and is set to receive upgrades that will make it more durable and increase its lifespan. It will shutter in April 2019 and is expected to reopen in late 2019.

As for the new taxiway, it is anticipated to save passengers roughly 1,000 hours annually in delays and “taxiing time,” saving airlines and passengers a projected $9 million.
Sinter, bmg42000 and RWPrincess like this.
tphuang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:14 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: new york
Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Posts: 960
JFK expansion

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
Jetblue's bid got accepted. Looks like they are the winner here alongside the current T1 operator. Not surprised that AA got nothing out of this with their current lack of focus in NYC. Delta will probably have all of T4 now with a couple of partners like VS and AM.

The new south terminal is going to look pretty amazing with 22 wide body gates. I'm going to enjoy flying out of there. And new North terminal (T5 to 7) is going to add 12 wide body gates or (19 narrow body gates) on top of the 29 they have in T5.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/10/4/1793...omo-renderings

Will be interesting to see what happens to slot restriction.

here is the link about fixing runway and adding "high-speed" taxiway, which might ease slot restriction when completed.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/9/28/1791...-speed-taxiway

The 10,000-foot-long runway, called runway 13L and 13R since they run east and west on the airport’s north side, handles nearly half of JFK’s arriving planes and is set to receive upgrades that will make it more durable and increase its lifespan. It will shutter in April 2019 and is expected to reopen in late 2019.

As for the new taxiway, it is anticipated to save passengers roughly 1,000 hours annually in delays and “taxiing time,” saving airlines and passengers a projected $9 million.
I will believe this when it is done in 2025. I have seen plenty of proposals to redo JFK so I will believe it when its done.
They have been working on the Van Wyck expansion for a very long time now. Proposals seem nice but I will believe it when completed.
bmg42000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 18, 8:37 pm
  #9  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,035
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
Jetblue's bid got accepted.
But still needs to be approved by the PANYNJ Board of Governors IIRC

Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
Will be interesting to see what happens to slot restriction.

here is the link about fixing runway and adding "high-speed" taxiway, which might ease slot restriction when completed.
https://ny.curbed.com/2018/9/28/1791...-speed-taxiway
Unlikely this changes the number of flights that can regularly be handled. Taxiways aren't the issue so much as the congested air space around the airport.
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
The 10,000-foot-long runway, called runway 13L and 13R ...
13L and 13R are two different runways and only one of them - 13L/31R - is 10,000 feet long and on the North side of the field. The other, 13R/31L aka the Bay Runway because it abuts Jamaica Bay is 14,500 feet and was recently resurfaced. .

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1810/00610AD.PDF
jinglish likes this.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 18, 7:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 763
Originally Posted by bmg42000 View Post
I will believe this when it is done in 2025. I have seen plenty of proposals to redo JFK so I will believe it when its done.
They have been working on the Van Wyck expansion for a very long time now. Proposals seem nice but I will believe it when completed.
Cuomo wants the political credit for this. He is very ambitious guy. If LGA project can get this far along, I don't see why JFK cannot.

Not sure about Van Wyck, but I think the private money on the terminals will have plenty of push to get started on time.

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
But still needs to be approved by the PANYNJ Board of Governors IIRC
Cuomo doesn't see like a guy that will get denied.
Unlikely this changes the number of flights that can regularly be handled. Taxiways aren't the issue so much as the congested air space around the airport.

13L and 13R are two different runways and only one of them - 13L/31R - is 10,000 feet long and on the North side of the field. The other, 13R/31L aka the Bay Runway because it abuts Jamaica Bay is 14,500 feet and was recently resurfaced. .

http://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/1810/00610AD.PDF
I'm simply copying and pasting a link that said there is work been done to the taxiway. The rumor going around is that slots might go away in a year or two.
tphuang is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 18, 8:18 pm
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,035
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
I'm simply copying and pasting a link that said there is work been done to the taxiway.
You really should use quote marks when quoting someone. Also, it is still incorrect.
Originally Posted by tphuang View Post
The rumor going around is that slots might go away in a year or two.
I'll take that bet. Very, very, very, very unlikely to happen in the next couple years.
sbm12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 18, 7:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 763
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
You really should use quote marks when quoting someone. Also, it is still incorrect.

I'll take that bet. Very, very, very, very unlikely to happen in the next couple years.
I honestly have no idea what is your problem with me. You are being deliberately antagonizing to me. And it's not just this thread

Last edited by tphuang; Oct 11, 18 at 7:57 am
tphuang is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread