Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

B6 1561 Delayed June 30th--Captain Left the Plane

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B6 1561 Delayed June 30th--Captain Left the Plane

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Starwood Platinum
Thumbs down B6 1561 Delayed June 30th--Captain Left the Plane

Had an interesting time Friday night JFK-BGI. Captain walked off the plane at boarding time. Loud argument at the Gate with gate agents in full view of pax. Ultimately cabin crew and a few pax refused to fly with this clown. Operations then prohibited him from flying and he was removed from the flight. Apparently he had a pass rider with him with a damaged passport and pass rider was refused. Two hours later replacement Captain came in and off we went. So many things wrong with this whole scenario, rethinking using B6 ever again. Will be having a talk with CS at B6 upon return.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Pilot did something stupid. Fixed in 2 hours. If that's enough to never fly again then I'm surprised you've got many airlines left to travel with.

An extra hour on the delay would net you a $75 travel voucher but at only 2 hours that's just another day at the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Yup. Pilot did something stupid. I pay money for professionalism not acting like a 2 year old This guy is likely to be lucky to be flying a plane load of rubber dog stuff out of Hong Kong going forward. The fact that the cabin crew refused to fly with him is telling. And I specified I am thinking about not flying B6 again. Not all airlines. No defense for this.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Slouchman
Yup. Pilot did something stupid. I pay money for professionalism not acting like a 2 year old This guy is likely to be lucky to be flying a plane load of rubber dog stuff out of Hong Kong going forward. The fact that the cabin crew refused to fly with him is telling. And I specified I am thinking about not flying B6 again. Not all airlines. No defense for this.
Better they caught it now versus after you became airborne. It is very possible that the pilot had a psychotic episode and I for one feel more comfortable that JetBlue employees won't simply defer to the pilot simply because he is the pilot.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Slouchman
And I specified I am thinking about not flying B6 again. Not all airlines. No defense for this.
My point is that all airlines have a pilot who does something stupid every now and then. You happened to get "lucky" this time and have it on your flight. Had the guy been flying to SXM instead you likely never would have known about it and wouldn't care at all, despite all the same circumstances existing otherwise. Stupid things happen on all airlines. If you write them off one at a time when that occurs you're going to run out of options very quickly.

That's not trying to excuse the pilot's behavior. It was wrong. And all the other employees involved recognized that and fixed it. And by your account that fix was reasonably quick and professional.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:00 pm

This seems like a pilot specific problem rather than an airline problem. Not that B6 or any other airlines don't have real issues which would turn people off from flying with them, but unprofessional behaviour from one employee doesn't really crack the top 5 for me.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I've found Pilots and FAs to be extremely professional, from short BOS-NYC runs to long transcon flights. On any airline, you're bound to be met with a few bad apples, but by and far B6 employees are some of the best I have encountered.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I'm no defender of B6 in general, but this strikes me as something that was handled well & professionally by B6 and poorly and unprofessionally by the Captain.

If that's the standard for not flying a given carrier, you can be assured that you won't be flying most carriers within 6-8 months.

No idea whether you fly this route on a regular basis, but if you do, B6 has the only nonstop, so you can fly AA and inflict MIA as a connection point on yourself if you wish.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm no defender of B6 in general, but this strikes me as something that was handled well & professionally by B6 and poorly and unprofessionally by the Captain.

If that's the standard for not flying a given carrier, you can be assured that you won't be flying most carriers within 6-8 months.

No idea whether you fly this route on a regular basis, but if you do, B6 has the only nonstop, so you can fly AA and inflict MIA as a connection point on yourself if you wish.
All points well taken.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by nystateofmind
Better they caught it now versus after you became airborne. It is very possible that the pilot had a psychotic episode and I for one feel more comfortable that JetBlue employees won't simply defer to the pilot simply because he is the pilot.
Psychotic episode sounds pretty extreme. More like the pilot had his very own DYKWIA moment.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
Psychotic episode sounds pretty extreme. More like the pilot had his very own DYKWIA moment.
Fair enough, but I still feel more comfortable that it was caught and remedied on the ground. I would feel more unsafe with an airline letting a pilot like that fly on the flight because you never know how the pilot will react once airborne.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.