Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Is JetBlue a point-to-point airline?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy

As far as I understand, JetBlue was founded as a point-to-point airline: meaning, they didn't really do connections; most passengers were O&D, etc.

I'm not a JetBlue flyer so I don't know much about whether they sell connecting flights on one itinerary now and if so, whether that's something that changed recently or a few years ago. How much is this like Ryanair's approach, if they don't sell connections? Do JetBlue through-check luggage on separate tickets if both flights are on B6?

For some years now I understand they've had "focus cities". To what extent do those function as JetBlue "hubs"? Do people now consider them a hub and spoke airline? Do they themselves think of themselves as such?

Has this perspective changed over the years?

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
JetBlue used to be more point-to-point, but they now sell just as many tickets to connecting passengers.

They are somewhere in between. They will launch service to where they think they can make money, even if it's not inside their network at all, such as SEA-ANC and PDX-ANC to compete with Alaska.

Allegiant is entire point-to-point. But even Southwest and Spirit sell connecting tickets now as well.

Also, Ryanair just launched a feeder relationship with Air Europa.

For checked bags, yes they will.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:42 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

JetBlue does sell connecting flights on one itinerary just like the legacy airlines. However, since their hubs are not well-positioned for connections, my feeling is they sell less of these than Delta or United would.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keitherson
JetBlue used to be more point-to-point, but they now sell just as many tickets to connecting passengers.
Sorry, but the data does not support this claim.

JetBlue can and does sell itineraries involving connections. It has since it launched service. But the vast majority of passengers are flying a single segment, not connecting.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We are doing our first ever B6 connection this fall. We do BOS/LGB fairly regularly, but one leg during Thanksgiving week was $500+ non-stop, or $225 changing in Las Vegas.

I hate connections, but we'll have no checked bags and I like saving nearly $600.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
My mom had purchased separate itineraries from each carrier: RSW - BOS on Jet Blue and BOS - ACK on Cape Air. RSW agent was fine with checking her bag through to Nantucket.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Jet Blue does sell connecting flights and even codeshares actings as a feeder flights for international flights with EK, LH and TP to name a few. The majority of flights are O&D but as their network has grown and people have grown to like their product more will connect. Their expansion with Mint into the premium market is a big step forward for them but they need to load in fares for online search with economy and mint services combined in one ticket.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
but they need to load in fares for online search with economy and mint services combined in one ticket.
They do in most markets. They are, generally speaking, supposed to be in all AFAIK. They've been known to fix it if mistakes are identified on that front.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I just did a few searches: JFK-SFO LAX-JFK, BUF-BGI, BOS-LAX LAX-JFK and none allowed selection of a mint seat. Calling works just fine but that's a layer of hassle I don't need when booking. Though the agents are really are friendly know how to do it.

Originally Posted by sbm12
They do in most markets. They are, generally speaking, supposed to be in all AFAIK. They've been known to fix it if mistakes are identified on that front.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 6:53 pm

I just did a few searches: JFK-SFO LAX-JFK, BUF-BGI, BOS-LAX LAX-JFK and none allowed selection of a mint seat. Calling works just fine but that's a layer of hassle I don't need when booking. Though the agents are really are friendly know how to do it.
Four of the five routes you list are available with Mint nonstop without any issues. And I just searched BUF-BGI for 9 December and was offered two options of a mixed cabin itinerary for $677 o/w.

It looks like multi-city search results don't allow it but o/w or r/t do.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:42 pm

If booked as one ways I had no issue but booked as a RT I could not book Mint. BUF-BGI nor BGI-BUF as 1 ways also only allowed Economy. If booked as 1 way tickets of 1 segment Mint will come up but not if booked as a "round trip".
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:25 am

BUF-BGI nor BGI-BUF as 1 ways also only allowed Economy.
It defaults to economy. There's radio buttons on the right side of the search results page where you can select Business/First and resubmit and it'll give you Mint options. Stupid, but possible.
Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:29 pm

But the vast majority of passengers are flying a single segment, not connecting.
Overall, I'd agree, but going to Latin America, FLL is built up as a connecting hub. How many people are really flying from FLL to Mexico City or Colombia, vs using that as a connecting point? I dont think the O-D traffic exists between those markets to warrant the flights.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Overall, I'd agree, but going to Latin America, FLL is built up as a connecting hub. How many people are really flying from FLL to Mexico City or Colombia, vs using that as a connecting point? I dont think the O-D traffic exists between those markets to warrant the flights.
It certainly varies by market. I know they mentioned the numbers in a recent earnings call but I cannot find the details in my notes. I think it was <15% domestic and <25% international, or at least in that ballpark.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 6:13 pm

It certainly varies by market. I know they mentioned the numbers in a recent earnings call but I cannot find the details in my notes. I think it was <15% domestic and <25% international, or at least in that ballpark.
I think it's going to continue growing as a connecting hub. It will need to do so in order to fend off WN's expansion plans out of FLL.

It would probably require the following and the goal would be to eventually challenging AA's MIA hub

1) Add a lot of A321NEO/LRs to FLL
2) Start flying to deeper and more lucrative south american destinations like GRU, GIG, BRA, LIM. Just an idea of where they can reach with A321LR out of FLL.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=FLL-GIG...L&MS=wls&DU=mi
3) Connect more dots and add more frequencies domestically out of FLL.
4) Add more mint flights from LAX to FLL to attract premium traffic out of west coast to South America

In the same way, BOS may become more of a connecting hub once it starts adding TATL routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.