Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Massive Mint growth coming in 2017 and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

New aircraft order announced today for 30 A321s, split 15/15 on ceo/neo, with deliveries starting in 2017.

For 2017 JetBlue will now take 14 Mint A321s. In 2018 there are 11 A321s on the books and the CFO said in today's earnings call that it is likely most of the 2018/2019 A321s will be Mint, though not confirmed yet. This is on top of all the other markets already announced.

Link goes to my coverage of the story.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:32 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
and add to that 9 new flights from Long Beach and the possibility of starting service to Europe or deep Latin America as early as 2019 with the A321LRs--maybe even Mint flights to Hawaii from the West Coast...lots of positive changes coming in the next few years.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
and add to that 9 new flights from Long Beach and the possibility of starting service to Europe or deep Latin America as early as 2019 with the A321LRs--maybe even Mint flights to Hawaii from the West Coast...lots of positive changes coming in the next few years.
If LGB prices fall in line with LAX prices, I'll be so happy. I it's very possible too, since WN joined the game.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:07 am
Suspended

Mint BOS-AMS please!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Great reporting Seth!

Sadly, looks like no Mint in Long Beach. I wonder who will be the first airline to introduce a premium transcon product to LB/OC.

Originally Posted by hiima
If LGB prices fall in line with LAX prices, I'll be so happy. I it's very possible too, since WN joined the game.
Crankyflier is reporting that LGB is actually less profitable for Jetblue. His claim: "Long Beach consistently has some of the lowest fares in the nation. Travelers love that, but airlines don’t."

From personal experience, (I live in LGB) I find that transcon fares are often cheaper on B6, but often not on AA.

http://crankyflier.com/2016/07/26/lo...s-jetblue-war/
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Hawaii was specifically NOT mentioned in the press release nor the earnings call. That will depend on the neo deliveries (starting 2018) if the A321s are going to be involved. Also, I'm skeptical of that market vis a vis yields and what the company can get from it.

The LR options will be decided no later than EoY 2017 for possible 2019 deliveries (though later if the 2019 frames are non-LR and 2020-2022 frames are). And they're talking MUCH more about Europe now than about South America. Better economic situation right now, more ability to come in cheap and disrupt the market and more potential routes to serve. Also, generally shorter flights. Business markets ex-BOS was a segment specifically mentioned on the call, but in the context of "things we'll look at when considering whether to take the planes as LRs" rather than "markets we expect to expand in to.

But, right now, it is all about transcon Mint expansion.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:29 am
Suspended

Link: http://otp.investis.com/clients/us/j...1&newsid=37146
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Please be BOS-BSL. Come on JetBlue. Says something!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by sbm12
And they're talking MUCH more about Europe now than about South America. Better economic situation right now, more ability to come in cheap and disrupt the market and more potential routes to serve. Also, generally shorter flights. Business markets ex-BOS was a segment specifically mentioned on the call, but in the context of "things we'll look at when considering whether to take the planes as LRs" rather than "markets we expect to expand in to.

Seth, any Jetblue chat about Asia, to go along with the noises about Europe?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ralphs
Seth, any Jetblue chat about Asia, to go along with the noises about Europe?
Doubt it, too far.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sbm12
Hawaii was specifically NOT mentioned in the press release nor the earnings call. That will depend on the neo deliveries (starting 2018) if the A321s are going to be involved. Also, I'm skeptical of that market vis a vis yields and what the company can get from it.

The LR options will be decided no later than EoY 2017 for possible 2019 deliveries (though later if the 2019 frames are non-LR and 2020-2022 frames are). And they're talking MUCH more about Europe now than about South America. Better economic situation right now, more ability to come in cheap and disrupt the market and more potential routes to serve. Also, generally shorter flights. Business markets ex-BOS was a segment specifically mentioned on the call, but in the context of "things we'll look at when considering whether to take the planes as LRs" rather than "markets we expect to expand in to.

No specific destinations were mentioned for the LR and who knows what the economic situation will look like in 2019. They talked much more in the past about deep Latin America. They may again if things improve. Who knows what the competitive landscape will look like to Europe in 2019 and beyond. With VX out of the picture, HI also becomes more viable. They haven't decided anything yet but they have quite a few options to choose from and time will tell how things play out.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Mint BOS-AMS please!
I agree that B6's TATL expansion should be out of BOS rather than -- or at least alongside -- JFK. JFK is overloaded with TATL flights, while BOS still has to make do with whatever scraps foreign carriers see fit to provide us.

I'd hope for BOS-BER or BOS-CPH out of the gate.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I'd hope for BOS-BER or BOS-CPH out of the gate.
BOS-CPH now available with SAS.
BOS-DUS now available with AirBerlin.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

No specific destinations were mentioned for the LR
Europe was talked about several times. No specific cities mentioned (and no surprise at that) but the region was talked about a lot in terms of how the decision to go LR or not would be made. I STRONGLY suspect that the first international LR routes will be to Europe should the LR option be taken.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
BOS-CPH now available with SAS.
BOS-DUS now available with AirBerlin.
Yes, I'm aware of both of those. (Though not sure I see the relevance of the latter, since DUS is not all that close to Berlin!) I'd prefer B6, since I'm thinking of moving all my domestic travel there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.