Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Massive Mint growth coming in 2017 and beyond

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Massive Mint growth coming in 2017 and beyond

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by ucfjoe
Come on MCO-SFO/SEA
I don't see how there isn't demand for this even if it's 1x a day during the week.
VX never made this work. United already has a non stop and will defend their SFO hub IMO.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:49 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
Originally Posted by ellinj
I'd love to see BOS-SJC, The 320 just is not a good option in the winter.
Agreed, but looking at B6, it seems its a seasonal route.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 12:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ellinj
I'd love to see BOS-SJC, The 320 just is not a good option in the winter.
The A321 range is slightly lower than the A320. Of course, in a Mint config the A321 is not at full load and potentially has higher fuel capacity. But just swapping A320->A321 doesn't necessarily increase range.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The A321 range is slightly lower than the A320. Of course, in a Mint config the A321 is not at full load and potentially has higher fuel capacity. But just swapping A320->A321 doesn't necessarily increase range.
I believe there was a Jetblue pilot said a while back on this forum that A321 mint carry 2 external fuel tanks which (along with the lighter config) allow them to not have the same tech stop issues that A320 have in the winter time.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

PSP-JFK will get seasonal Mint flights for the Christmas-New Years peak window (December 21, 2017 – January 3, 2018).
SFO777 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
PSP-JFK will get seasonal Mint flights for the Christmas-New Years peak window (December 21, 2017 – January 3, 2018).
I'm not surprised...my guess is that JFK-LAX/SFO is probably a bit "off" in frequency then (lack of business traffic), and SXM is probably not playing well this winter. Might as well experiment with somewhere else new and see how it goes...

As to MCO...the yields were touchy for VX but they did seem to pull good loads in my experience (the flight was usually /quite/ full).

(Also, for me the BOS-SEA startup is my trigger for giving B6 a serious shot. So we'll see where things are looking come this winter...but that'll be a watershed for me.)
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Great blog on this over here https://blog.wandr.me/2017/10/jetblu...m-springs-psp/
Old Oct 12, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by tphuang
I believe there was a Jetblue pilot said a while back on this forum that A321 mint carry 2 external fuel tanks which (along with the lighter config) allow them to not have the same tech stop issues that A320 have in the winter time.
This is my understanding as well. Also I assume the neo would be helpful in this situation assuming b6 ever gets them.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 pm

More on this, it seems like JetBlue has chosen the Strengthen Boston approach, which makes sense since they want to protect and strengthen their hold on the corporate and ff base there.

Aside from the 5th daily BOS-SFO, they have now loaded a 3rd daily BOS-SAN in late March + a 3rd daily BOS-SEA in mid June. Kind of what I thought they would do if they decided to go this route. Seems like if they continue down this path, they could add a 5th daily BOS-LAX and maybe even a 6th daily BOS-SFO to really dominate all the transcon routes out of Boston. Imo, this is going to cause a lot of trouble for AS. The 3 daily BOS-SAN is going to make it very hard for AS to stay afloat. For Q2, B6 averaged $15 more than AS. That gap will get a lot larger by 2018 Q2. 3 daily BOS-SEA will significantly shift the balance on that carrier. Right now, B6 is getting about $35 less on average fare compared to AS and DL. But with Mint, that could very easily becomes $30 to $50 more. And obviously, BOS-SFO/LAX already have become huge bloodbath.

If they continue to do well on these market, I really think we might see mint on BOS-PHX/PDX at some point.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by tphuang
More on this, it seems like JetBlue has chosen the Strengthen Boston approach, which makes sense since they want to protect and strengthen their hold on the corporate and ff base there.

Aside from the 5th daily BOS-SFO, they have now loaded a 3rd daily BOS-SAN in late March + a 3rd daily BOS-SEA in mid June. Kind of what I thought they would do if they decided to go this route. Seems like if they continue down this path, they could add a 5th daily BOS-LAX and maybe even a 6th daily BOS-SFO to really dominate all the transcon routes out of Boston. Imo, this is going to cause a lot of trouble for AS. The 3 daily BOS-SAN is going to make it very hard for AS to stay afloat. For Q2, B6 averaged $15 more than AS. That gap will get a lot larger by 2018 Q2. 3 daily BOS-SEA will significantly shift the balance on that carrier. Right now, B6 is getting about $35 less on average fare compared to AS and DL. But with Mint, that could very easily becomes $30 to $50 more. And obviously, BOS-SFO/LAX already have become huge bloodbath.

If they continue to do well on these market, I really think we might see mint on BOS-PHX/PDX at some point.
Where do you get these numbers from? This seems like pure speculation...

Nevertheless, I wouldn't complain one bit. AA's 737s to LAX and PHX are awful heading west. If AA trades these for A32Ts, as with LAX for the holidays, then $1300 advanced purchase for premium transcon fares could be the new normal ex-BOS.

From a BOS-based FF, the more mint, the merrier. More than happy to see more blood letting on these routes.
ptownca likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Where do you get these numbers from? This seems like pure speculation...

Nevertheless, I wouldn't complain one bit. AA's 737s to LAX and PHX are awful heading west. If AA trades these for A32Ts, as with LAX for the holidays, then $1300 advanced purchase for premium transcon fares could be the new normal ex-BOS.

From a BOS-based FF, the more mint, the merrier. More than happy to see more blood letting on these routes.
I get it from https://transtats.bts.gov/. They have quarterly fare data which can be downloaded. I have a process which goes through, filters out non-rev, award tickets. My numbers basically match what they have here https://data.transportation.gov/ except that I have it for all the carriers on that route.

As an example on BOS-SFO, 2016 Q1 (last quarter before mint) to show the mint effect on fares.
AA 327.21
B6 280.38
VX 328.13
UA 401.18

2017 Q2 (most recent one with fare data) - note that UA had standard FC for most of this quarter. Will have to wait for Q3 to see the affect of UA dumping all the lie flats on this market.
DL 307.56
B6 384.69
VX 325.49
UA 357.64
ralphs, BbTrumpet and ptownca like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Interesting stuff. Thanks! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.