Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Even with standbys, they won't op-up. Only in an overbooking situation will B6 upgrade anyone. I've seen plenty of standbys turned away and had Mint go out with 2+ empty seats.
That is some interesting thinking. I understand wanting to protect the sanctity of the cabin, and also there is some marginal cost to the soft product, but I'd love to hear revenue management's reasons for doing this.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Even with standbys, they won't op-up. Only in an overbooking situation will B6 upgrade anyone. I've seen plenty of standbys turned away and had Mint go out with 2+ empty seats.
Depends on the gate agent. If it's not an overbooking situation (such as IRROPS), it's at agent discretion whether to op-up anyone to clear standbys (regardless of revenue or nonrev). If the agent does decide to process op-ups (ie, there's time to do so), the people to be upgraded are selected by the system (Sabre) based on an unpublished priority that I can't imagine I'd be allowed to share.

The agent cannot op-up anyone unless those conditions (Core is booked full AND there are standbys) are met (Sabre won't allow it). This is to ensure that there are no shenanigans and to protect the integrity of the product.

I'm treading lightly with this unpublished info, under the assumption that this might be common knowledge for those who use Sabre (which is also used by other airlines). If I have to edit this post to redact this, you'll know why!

Last edited by diburning; May 31, 2017 at 2:47 pm
Old May 31, 2017, 3:32 pm

Programs: Free agent
Wouldn't EMS be filled first than Mint? My last 4 segments to and from MSY have gone out with a ton of standbys still waiting and my EMS rows are empty (Totally empty not middle empty) and I've been able to lay down and nap.

I guess I'm asking if you're putting EMS in with Core.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:06 pm

Yes. I lumped EMS with Core/economy. EMS is still the "core" experience albeit with more space. Standbys booked in economy should clear into EMS. It's no different from being booked on the flight and not selecting a seat, and being assigned an EMS seat. EMS does not come out of a separate inventory than regular economy.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: AE Business Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt,, Priority Pass for AE & RC Chase, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by ziggynagy
2 open mint seats right now, they're still offering at $500/seat to upgrade.
If you've already paid an additional $95 to upgrade to EMS, is the gate upgrade price to Mint the same as for someone in a regular economy seat?
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:30 am

Yes. It's a flat fee at the gate for everyone, regardless of fare paid or whether you are in EMS.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by diburning
Yes. I lumped EMS with Core/economy. EMS is still the "core" experience albeit with more space. Standbys booked in economy should clear into EMS. It's no different from being booked on the flight and not selecting a seat, and being assigned an EMS seat. EMS does not come out of a separate inventory than regular economy.
That's what I thought you meant. You're right about gate agent discretion. I guess I've had many more experiences with less "willing" GA's, especially MSY->JFK.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ralphs
That is some interesting thinking. I understand wanting to protect the sanctity of the cabin, and also there is some marginal cost to the soft product, but I'd love to hear revenue management's reasons for doing this.
Same as most airlines. OpUp to clear standby pax is abnormal IME.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by OEBB
Regarding Mosaic free upgrades my experience has varied based on airport (I know, not surprising). JFK is my home airport and I have found as long as I go to the Mosaic desk to get my ticket printed (even if not checking a bag) they will always give me an EMS seat if one is available. When I connect through Boston a gate agent will almost always change my seat. Based on that, I would assume the focus cities are best for this, but...
JFK is my home airport as well and I have yet to get an upgrade at the airport. So I've given up trying and just use my points at time of booking.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: AGR Select Exec, MR Plat, B6 Mosaic, UA Silver
Originally Posted by RWPrincess
JFK is my home airport as well and I have yet to get an upgrade at the airport. So I've given up trying and just use my points at time of booking.
Are you hoping for EMS at the gate or going to the Mosaic counter? I always get EMS from the Mosaic counter. I check-in online and just head to the counter (not checking a bag) and they are happy to print my boarding pass for me and always say "I see you are way in the back of the plane, I'd like to move you up, is 3C ok?" Heard this exact phrase again yesterday morning heading to DAB. My response is always, "yes it is!"

Currently in MCO again and have never gotten anything here (which is ok).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I try at the gate but I also usually go to the Mosaic counter to print off my ticket since the kiosks tend to be full a lot.

In any event, it's not something I want to chance as most of my flights are trans-cons.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Question

Originally Posted by diburning
Depends on the gate agent. If it's not an overbooking situation (such as IRROPS), it's at agent discretion whether to op-up anyone to clear standbys (regardless of revenue or nonrev). If the agent does decide to process op-ups (ie, there's time to do so), the people to be upgraded are selected by the system (Sabre) based on an unpublished priority that I can't imagine I'd be allowed to share.

The agent cannot op-up anyone unless those conditions (Core is booked full AND there are standbys) are met (Sabre won't allow it). This is to ensure that there are no shenanigans and to protect the integrity of the product.

I'm treading lightly with this unpublished info, under the assumption that this might be common knowledge for those who use Sabre (which is also used by other airlines). If I have to edit this post to redact this, you'll know why!
Just a data point to share, last Friday (8/4) I was booked in an EMS seat on a JFK-LAX flight and was given an op-up to Mint! I was pleasantly surprised as I understand this to be extremely rare. It was a sold out flight and I asked the GA how this happened and all they said was that they needed a seat in the back. I happily accepted. I am Mosaic (thx to the recent Mosaic challenge) and I booked my flight only 48 hours out and paid more than I would normally pay for a coach seat. Maybe Sabre picked me based on paid amount or having Mosiac, or both? I'm leaning towards the spend.
I wonder what you edited from your first post diburning
Old Aug 13, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
Just a data point to share, last Friday (8/4) I was booked in an EMS seat on a JFK-LAX flight and was given an op-up to Mint! I was pleasantly surprised as I understand this to be extremely rare. It was a sold out flight and I asked the GA how this happened and all they said was that they needed a seat in the back. I happily accepted. I am Mosaic (thx to the recent Mosaic challenge) and I booked my flight only 48 hours out and paid more than I would normally pay for a coach seat. Maybe Sabre picked me based on paid amount or having Mosiac, or both? I'm leaning towards the spend.
I wonder what you edited from your first post diburning
^^^^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by ralphs
I think it depends how long your legs are, tbh. I find Jetblue normal economy to be a good enough product.
Not just legs. I have short legs and can't use my laptop in normal E.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 12:35 pm

It's almost always $499 at the gate if they have seats available.
Is there the option of using Jetblue points, in leiu of cash $, for the $499 gate upgrade to Mint?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.