Jetblue Upgrades

Old Jul 25, 16, 11:08 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by dw View Post
Normally I would assume as op-ups when coach is oversold, but I thought B6 does not overbook? Are these in situations where coach is full and they are trying to accommodate standbys?
Standbys, deadheads, nonrevs, etc- but you're right in that they do not overbook- they still have a very generous overbooking compensation.
Old Jul 25, 16, 11:49 pm

Programs: GE
I have seen B6 GA try to upsell EMS immediately prior to departure (sometimes at a discount) but rare that they will move someone for free. Practically the only time anyone gets EMS for free is when the FA has to move someone from the exit row.

It is much more common that if there is a lot of room open up front, the B6 GA or FA will move people around so the middles are empty.

Originally Posted by dw
Normally I would assume as op-ups when coach is oversold, but I thought B6 does not overbook? Are these in situations where coach is full and they are trying to accommodate standbys?
I have been on quite a few completely full B6 flights and have not ever seen anyone bumped involuntarily. I think it is less likely than certain other airlines because B6 allows seat selection for free and so almost everyone has seat assignment on check in anyway, making it more difficult for overbookings to happen.
Old Jul 26, 16, 4:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bbtrvl View Post
I have been on quite a few completely full B6 flights and have not ever seen anyone bumped involuntarily. I think it is less likely than certain other airlines because B6 allows seat selection for free and so almost everyone has seat assignment on check in anyway, making it more difficult for overbookings to happen.
As a matter of policy B6 does not overbook flights. Has nothing to do with seat assignments or not.
Old Jul 26, 16, 7:14 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
I have seen B6 GA try to upsell EMS immediately prior to departure (sometimes at a discount) but rare that they will move someone for free. Practically the only time anyone gets EMS for free is when the FA has to move someone from the exit row.

It is much more common that if there is a lot of room open up front, the B6 GA or FA will move people around so the middles are empty.

I guess I just do a good job of making friends with the various GA across their network- BOS, IAD, DCA, TPA, JFK GA have all bumped me up for free- even on non-full flights. I'm mainly on the 190, so no middle seats there. Most of these were just to EMS, but I flew mint for free back in 2014. Politeness and kindness go a long way in today's world.
Old Jul 26, 16, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz whatever they call it
is there anyway to upgrade as a Mosaic with points?
Old Jul 26, 16, 10:50 am

Hi -

Not to MINT, but certainly to an EMS seat. Also, the cost in points is a far better value than paying for it in cash. Just know that you have to do it in advance -- I don't think you can do it when you check-in.
Old Jul 26, 16, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Orwaid View Post
Hi -

Not to MINT, but certainly to an EMS seat. Also, the cost in points is a far better value than paying for it in cash. Just know that you have to do it in advance -- I don't think you can do it when you check-in.
Last time I did it after OLCI the res agent had to undo my check-in and process the EMS purchase. So, yeah, try to make that decision before you check in to save some hassle.
Old Jul 26, 16, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
As a matter of policy B6 does not overbook flights. Has nothing to do with seat assignments or not.
That is good to know. I am coming around to booking B6 whenever possible because of reasons like this. But I don't fly to caribbean much which limits destinations a bit...

Originally Posted by Orwaid
Can non-mosaic upgrade to EMS with points (obviously without the mosaic discount) or is it 100% cash only?

Also, it sucks that EMS doesn't give more base points. I can't fly enough B6 to earn mosaic directly but would pay EMS to push me over.
Old Jul 27, 16, 12:31 am

HI -

Not sure -- I have been Mosaic for 5 years now. But I think the answer is no, only Mosaics can upgrade with points, and it needs to be done before you check in.

Also, the cash prices fluctuate all over the place. I was told that it is based on demand and not solely a function of distance, fare paid, etc.
Old Jul 27, 16, 8:10 am

Can non-mosaic upgrade to EMS with points (obviously without the mosaic discount) or is it 100% cash only?
Cash only.
Old Jul 27, 16, 1:17 pm

Programs: True Blue Mosaic,Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by dw View Post
B6 does not do upgrades; if you want to sit in Mint, you'll have to pay for it.
They do offer at the airport only on the day of your flight a flat upgrade to Mint for $499. Doesn't matter what price you paid for economy.

But it can only be done at the airport, not over the phone/web, like the VX 24 hour upgrade policy.

I have done it twice. Once I asked the counter agent during checkin and got it for the $499. The other time, the gate agent was announcing the upgrade option and was actively trying to sell it and I got it for the $499.
Old Jul 28, 16, 1:40 am

Thanks. One more question, can mosaic upgrade everyone else on their PNR to EMS with points? Or is it only the traveler with mosaic?

If so I could become VERY popular very fast on my business trips if I got mosaic status...
Old Jul 28, 16, 10:37 am

Hi -

Again, I am not 100% sure of this. But, I know that 2 free bags applies to everyone in the same PNR of a Mosaic. Also, change fee waivers apply to everyone in the same PNR of a Mosaic (which will help you with your CFO, if not your business partners). I am guessing that if you have 4 people in your PNR and you're Mosaic, the system will let you purchase EMS seats for all four with points.

Last edited by Orwaid; Jul 28, 16 at 10:49 am
Old Jul 28, 16, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Thanks. One more question, can mosaic upgrade everyone else on their PNR to EMS with points? Or is it only the traveler with mosaic?

If so I could become VERY popular very fast on my business trips if I got mosaic status...
Yes. Definitely can. Only with points from the mosaic's account
Old Jul 29, 16, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, UA Silver
Sure, if you want to burn all your FF miles on B6 on your coworkers upgrades.

Search this Thread