Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue offers Free travel for Orlando tragedy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:14 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

first and foremost, a terrible tragedy, thoughts go out to those involved.

However, I have a serious issue with Jet Blue taking advantage of this terrible tragedy that happened in Orlando. They once again take advantage of the free press that comes along with something like this. They should truly be ashamed of themselves.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I think that's a sad and odd response to a very generous gesture at a terrible time.

After Katrina, the nearest Anheuser-Busch brewery switched to canning fresh water and trucking it into the disaster zone. It was assistance FEMA couldn't seem to provide. Yes, A-B got some press out of it, because the much-needed water arrived aboard Budweiser trucks. But would you prefer that they, and other companies, not extend free help when they're capable amid terrible events, simply because the efforts might be noticed?

I would not. I think it's a good thing JetBlue is doing.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Obama seems to be gaining some free air time, and taking punches at Trump

JetBlue is not doing it to make a profit,.and I can not even say the oress is 100% good.

No one can make everyone happy,
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I have a serious issue with Jet Blue taking advantage of this terrible tragedy
As opposed to DL, WN and AA (and I'm sure other airlines, though I didn't look them all up) who all also expressed comments and views on the situation?

JetBlue has a long history of offering free flights to those in need following tragedies rather than simply offering a public statement of support. The company has moved first responders to attend funerals and other events as well (and taken heat for such moves in addition to the positive coverage). Often the true value in a feeling is taking action, not just sharing words. This is a prime example of using the resources at your disposal to help people rather than just talking about a situation.

I agree that the cost to the company is spectacularly low relative to the positive press coverage received. Sometimes doing the right thing comes with ancillary benefits. If only more people and companies were more generous more often, perhaps we'd become numb to such gifts. THat woudl be a great problem to have.

ETA: Seems at least one passenger took JetBlue up on the offer: https://www.facebook.com/amy.buchan/...00132182248045.

ETA2: AS has a similar offer on the table.

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 15, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver

However, I have a serious issue with Jet Blue taking advantage of this terrible tragedy that happened in Orlando. They once again take advantage of the free press that comes along with something like this. They should truly be ashamed of themselves.
I am surprised that you have such a negative view.

Having read through a number of the personal stories that family and friends have given or posted, there are many examples of businesses offering funeral and other services free of charge -- I suggest that a more appropriate view is to see such kindness for what it is, which is someone extending a hand of humanity to help.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I clicked on this thread expecting to see a love-fest, and instead I found someone inexplicably sneering at what is nothing more than a small, thoughtful gesture to citizens of one of B6's hub cities.

Corporations are made up of human beings. In this case, a few of those human beings got together and decided to do something for the good of the community. You're entitled to believe that they "should truly be ashamed of themselves," but I'd wager yours is a fringe view.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver

The world would be a pretty sick place if after tragedies, everybody decided to not help each other. A new low for flyertalk.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 8:47 pm

The majority of those who died were Latino, and a great proportion of those were immigrants from the Caribbean. It would be fair to assume that many of their families are of modest means. JetBlue has a large presence in the Caribbean, and this is a fine, caring gesture at a time when such a gesture is not only needed and welcome, but highly appropriate.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:17 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I have a serious issue with your post.

I commend jetBlue for their gesture of kind support to the community.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Your post is beyond revolting and insensitive. This is the worst post I have ever seen on FT, and I spend most of my time over on OMNI/PR.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Read this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...other-onboard/

JetBlue didn't go publicity hunting over this. It was picked up via employees' posts on social media.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:32 pm

I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for JetBlue after my experience with them after the Boston bombing... My daughter, a young college student, was caught between the bombs on April 15. Fortunately she wasn't physically hurt, but it was horrific for her emotionally. I immediately booked a flight from Dallas to Boston early the next morning to be with her. You can imagine the price at that late date was no bargain, so at the check-in counter I asked the JetBlue rep if they ever offered discounts for situations like mine. They said unfortunately, they couldn't. No big deal to me. My mind was on my daughter. When I got to the gate, I could tell the crew had been told of my situation. They made a special effort to welcome me and made sure I had an entire row to myself near the front of the plane. Certainly JetBlue's response to me had nothing to do with publicity, but was quite simply an act of human kindness. I have to think there's a corporate culture that encourages this. Or maybe it's just humans helping each other in times of need. Whatever, I default to the notion JetBlue acted both this week and with me out of common decency.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
There is a comment from a recipient on the JetBlue Facebook page that says Southwest and Delta helped with his return trip. So other airlines are doing the same thing.

I think since JetBlue mentioned it first, it just happened to go viral quickly. Almost all the posts I've seen about this have been through traditional news media or social media or crew members. I've only seen JetBlue mention it once on all their channels. If you think about it, how would victims and their families know about the offer if it wasn't mentioned publicly at least once?
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by LK1234
I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for JetBlue after my experience with them after the Boston bombing... My daughter, a young college student, was caught between the bombs on April 15. Fortunately she wasn't physically hurt, but it was horrific for her emotionally. I immediately booked a flight from Dallas to Boston early the next morning to be with her. You can imagine the price at that late date was no bargain, so at the check-in counter I asked the JetBlue rep if they ever offered discounts for situations like mine. They said unfortunately, they couldn't. No big deal to me. My mind was on my daughter. When I got to the gate, I could tell the crew had been told of my situation. They made a special effort to welcome me and made sure I had an entire row to myself near the front of the plane. Certainly JetBlue's response to me had nothing to do with publicity, but was quite simply an act of human kindness. I have to think there's a corporate culture that encourages this. Or maybe it's just humans helping each other in times of need. Whatever, I default to the notion JetBlue acted both this week and with me out of common decency.
I'm so sorry to hear about this. I hope your daughter is doing better now. I'm glad you were well taken care of by the flight crew.
Old Jun 17, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: No more shiny cards -- former LH SEN, SPG Platinum, Flying Blue Platinum, BA Silver
I spotted a link to this on the front page of Flyertalk

http://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/pass...ry?id=39902460

It is heartwarming to see that an entire planeload of people offered their condolences to the Luis' grandma ^^^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.