Wiki Posts
Search

Even More Space - Worth $50

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've got an ORD-BOS flight coming up. Currently in row 3 so not bad. Even More Space is available for $50 and the window seat in Row 1 is available. Any thoughts on whether it's worth the extra 50 bucks?
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:10 am

It depends on how much legroom you really want or need. I flew B6 recently after about a year or three having not done so, and their standard coach product is surprisingly spacious to begin with. Personally, I wouldn't pay $50 for EMS for a transcon, let alone ORD-BOS, but it's up to you.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks. I was leaning against paying the money. Can buy some extra lobster rolls with the savings
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:41 am

Keep in mind, even more space has a few other benefits such as speed, priority boarding and bin space.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 11:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Troopers
Keep in mind, even more space has a few other benefits such as speed, priority boarding and bin space.
Yea the speed is cool but I'm TSA Pre-Check so kind of negated there.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
I like it on the A320's when someone already is in the aisle seat so I can a chance to have an empty seat next to me .
Old Mar 18, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Yea the speed is cool but I'm TSA Pre-Check so kind of negated there.
Pre-Check gets you through security quickly but not onto the plane early. Row 3 will be in the last group to board. If you've got roll-aboard, you may end having to gate-check it.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
It depends on how much legroom you really want or need.
Exactly, at 6'8" I would do it and probably in the exit row which has more more space. JKF/BUF I do not purchase EMS but all my flights JFK/PBI I do at $35 and $50.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 7:33 pm

Because of the extra charge for those EMS seats, the probability of having someone right next to you is less, in my experience. So if you like a bit of extra space, in front and to the side, paying extra for EMS is worth it, especially when the flight is more than an hour.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 7:59 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
It's primarily about early boarding. Another way carriers use inconvenience and discomfort to extract extra money. In a perverse way, the less they do to improve discomfort, the more a segment of customers will pay to avoid it. The old "I like to get hit, because it feels so good when you stop", routine.

On E-190 aircraft, the legroom in Row 1 is still constricted by a bulkhead wall. I flew in Row 1 earlier this week. Not only couldn't I extend my feet (I'm only 5'10"), but the crew had placed their own bags in the overhead on one side, and the opposite overhead had a case of bottled water occupying most of the space. Then there's the wheelchair "conga line", which seems to grow longer on each flight, especially to and from Florida. This week, as usual, 7 chairs on, only 2 used on arrival (the rest sitting in the Jetway, unclaimed, impeding disembarkation). Those chairs were all accompanied in boarding by other family members, all of whom lost no time in grabbing bin space. What good does paying for EMS, or making Mosaic, do, when the space has been usurped by people paying nothing extra? One other aside. If you are flying in or out of the JFK hub on 320 aircraft, a lot of those middle seats you think will be empty are filled by employees on reduced travel. This is not a Tome on class distinction, simply a comment on some of the things you won't get, even when you pay extra. Next time, just tell them you have hemorrhoids, and need early boarding. You may not get ahead of the phony "service animals", but I guarantee you will be on before the Mosaics.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 11:15 am

worth it for $50

$50 for EMS is worth it from Chicago to Boston, on a recent flight to LA from JFK the EMS rate was $100 each way...that was ridiculous..I paid less than that for for economy comfort JFK to Venice
I too notice on my freq Florida flights that there is a conga line for wheelchair assistance and yet rarely do they need wheelchair assistance to deplane.. I usually book the last 5 rows, that way I am among the first regular flyers on and always get bin space for my one carryon ( and then observe multiple flyers putting up 2 bags in the bins) Wish the FA's would enforce the rules
Old Mar 19, 2016, 12:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm actually somewhat fearful of being in the back of the plane. May sound stupid but I just don't like it. I try to sit middle or front at all times.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The old joke with the wheelchair crowd is that these are actually "miracle flights". Impaired when boarding, they are miraculously cured onboard, and can walk off without any assistance. Maybe they should submit their tickets to Medicare for reimbursement.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I suppose the answer to the original question also depends on the equipment. Eg, on the 320, the regular legroom at 34" pitch is probably totally fine for most. I think the E190s/321s are 32 or 33", so all else equal, you get more value for the upgrade. I suppose the pricing may or may not account for this though.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

It's a 190

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.