Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Even More Space - Worth $50

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 11:54 pm

I'm flying Jetblue for the first time soon, on a redeye from SLC -> BOS. They're offering EMS seats for $50. I think I'm going to purchase an upgrade so I can board early and stretch out a little more.

I see differing opinions on EMS seats in the front vs exit rows. Are there any significant advantages or disadvantages to either?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I don't know about exit rows but bulkhead row of EMS has unlimited legroom (good) but does not have large seat pockets with cup holder pouch (bad). Also tray table comes out of armrest rather than seat in front of you. Exit rows are farther back which is better for overhead bin space but slower to deplane. $50 for 4 hours of increased comfort is well worth the $$ in my view!
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
I've always been a fan of EMS rows 2-5. Very good legroom and you are not limited by the bulkhead. Seat cushions in the exit rows are slightly thinner, but it's barely noticeable and you do get marginally more legroom.

That said, SLC-BOS is a redeye. If you are planning to sleep, do you really need the extra space? I could definitely see getting it on the longer westbound flight. I just flew SLC-JFK earlier this week and it was 3 hours and 45 minutes in the air.

-J.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
This Board has long had the debate about EMS seats. It's a matter of personal preference. If you feel comfortable paying the $50 for the seat on your redeye, then by all means do it.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 6:25 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Given what EMS usually goes for on a full transcon flight, $50 from SLC to BOS seems cheap. I think I'd definitely for for that on a red-eye, especially one of the shorter ones.

If it's a weekend (Friday or Saturday night) redeye, you might also find that if it's a lot of leisure traveler, some of the EMS rows (especially the exit rows) might be very empty, if price-conscious flyers don't want to pay up. Best EMS purchase ever was a PDX-BOS summer Saturday redeye - my spouse and I had row 11 (both sides) to ourselves on an otherwise nearly sold out flight. FAs were very attentive at keeping seat poachers out until folks fell asleep.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by octr202
If it's a weekend (Friday or Saturday night) redeye, you might also find that if it's a lot of leisure traveler, some of the EMS rows (especially the exit rows) might be very empty, if price-conscious flyers don't want to pay up.
Flights out of SLC are never empty. 4,000+ reservations agents work in the region, all with families on their benefits. EMS will get assigned to any of them standing by for the flight. Since they started using a 162-seat plane on this route, it generally goes out 93-99% full.

-J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.