Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue introduces three fare options - including checked bag fees

Old Jun 30, 15, 4:15 am
Original Poster

JetBlue now has three fare options in economy, in addition to their Mint cabin. Full details are at their website:

JetBlue.com fare options

The biggest change is the introduction of checked bag fees on the lowest fare option. The options are 'Blue' 'Blue Plus' and 'Blue Flex'. If you buy a checked bag on the lowest fare, the fee is $20 online or at the kiosk, $25 at the counter. A 2nd bag for Blue or Blue Plus fares is $35.

Last edited by will2288; Jun 30, 15 at 4:39 am
Old Jun 30, 15, 4:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Just played around with a couple of destinations

BOS-TPA/LAX/PIT

$14-30 extra this way (mostly 15-16) to go from Blue to Blue Plus

$99 to 148 go from Blue to Blue Flex.

Did an international as well (AUA) and its pretty much the same.

Too bad they don't give a free movie with Flex.
Old Jun 30, 15, 6:25 am

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
I've been looking, and it looks like Blue and Blue Plus TrueBlue redemptions BOTH start at 3500. That's nice.
Old Jun 30, 15, 6:27 am

And the website finally allows you to book a turn (flying somewhere and then just coming right back) as roundtrip and not have to do one way flights
Old Jun 30, 15, 7:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by FLIHGH View Post
I've been looking, and it looks like Blue and Blue Plus TrueBlue redemptions BOTH start at 3500. That's nice.
I haven't seen any where Blue Plus didn't come with a 1,100 point surcharge over the basic redemption. Got an example??
Old Jun 30, 15, 8:04 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
I must say, I think the fares I'm seeing for 1 checked bag is reasonable... some of my upcoming flights are only $10-$20 extra. If B6 were to be smart, they would offer everyone a free "upgrade" from Blue to Blue Plus for the first few months of the program...

I also wish B6 made the EMS upgrade pricing more transparent upfront on the booking page. I've been on some flights where it is only $10 more and some were it is $50 more...
Old Jun 30, 15, 9:15 am

Programs: UA, HH, SPG
Fare Buckets

Is there any information about which fare buckets - U, O, Z, M, etc - correspond to which fare type?
Old Jun 30, 15, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Bye-bye B6!
Old Jun 30, 15, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mediator View Post
Bye-bye B6!
Yep, already seeing they are more expensive now on many routes, might as well just fly UA/DL/AA or look over to WN.
Old Jun 30, 15, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JerryFF View Post
Is there any information about which fare buckets - U, O, Z, M, etc - correspond to which fare type?
AFIAK they are all "Blue" with various options to buy to Blue Plus or Blue Flex within each bucket. It is much more similar to the way AA implemented the comparable products. Basically you buy a fare and then within that fare class you get extra benefits by paying more. But the "more" part is mostly fixed rate, (though the company says it may vary).
Old Jun 30, 15, 5:57 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, DL Gold, AA Plat, UA Gold (1mm) SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, AVIS PC, National ExecElite
What a great move by B6! Now, instead of being the SAME PRICE as AA/UA/DL, now you get to pay more for the same flight experience! Still no Even More Space seats for Mosaic members. And, as a bonus, Jet Blew will continue strand you during IRROPS by refusing to interline you onto an airline that can get you home! B6 = Legacy Carrier Minus
Old Jun 30, 15, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
I haven't seen any where Blue Plus didn't come with a 1,100 point surcharge over the basic redemption. Got an example??
Their site is down right now, but I was looking at DCA-BDL.
Old Jun 30, 15, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by rjburns View Post
What a great move by B6! Now, instead of being the SAME PRICE as AA/UA/DL, now you get to pay more for the same flight experience!
How are they more expensive? They are finally pricing at parity for people who travel without bags and they are still less for those that do (and have no access to free bags via some other method).
Old Jul 1, 15, 12:18 am

Programs: UA, B6, AA, DL, WN, AGR
I don't see why this was necessary. They could have just raised fares by $15 and called it a day. How are the contract curbside guys going to figure this out?
Old Jul 1, 15, 5:13 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL/UA G (SC/UC), B6 M, Marriott LTG, Omni PLT, Hyatt Exp, Fairmont Prem, Hilton G
Originally Posted by mediator View Post
Bye-bye B6!
Ditto. B6 is essentially becoming AirTran, albeit with TVs. I very rarely check bags, but the move to monetize every aspect of the operation, to me, suggests a strategy which moves the airline to be the exact same as the legacies minus a decent FF program.

Last edited by CHOPCHOP767; Jul 1, 15 at 5:37 am

Search this Thread