Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Should I book award seats or paid seats first?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:08 pm
KTJ
Original Poster

I'll be booking 11 seats for a family vacation in December to Punta Cana. 7 seats for 4 adults and 3 small children would definitely be on the JetBlue nonstop. I Think I'll have enough miles on JetBlue for 3 reward seats and pay cash for 4. Should I book the cash seats first or the reward seats? I'm not sure if or how the nature of inventory usage has an effect on the price in miles or cash for the next ticket sold? I have 175k spg point, 55k delta, and 500k Marriott points to book the remaining 4 tickets for the childless couples.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I would buy with points first.

Try pricing 7 seats for cash as well as 3 and 4 just to see how the prices shift. If they're all the same numbers then odds are buying the points tickets won't push the fare up for the cash seats. But, as a general rule, increased fares equals a lower value for points so if you do buy the cash tickets first and then the fare goes up the points required is likely to increase disproportionately.

The SPG, DL and MR points won't help for the JetBlue flight so hopefully those passengers are wiling to go another route. Or pay cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.