Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2014/5: JetBlue and credit cards (AMEX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014/5: JetBlue and credit cards (AMEX)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:38 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I doubt AMEX sees this as much of a loss. I barely charge anything to it given the low rate of return. SPG AMEX gives much better rewards. Even the Hyatt visa gives double points for booking directly with an airline--earning more value than the jetBlue card. Don't like Barclays at all so may just not bother with any B6 affiliated card. I get enough points from flying anyway and prefer hotel points which I go through much faster.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by skimple
Just chatted with an Amex rep and they stated that this card could not be converted to a Blue Cash product. My only option would be to cancel since they won't reallocate the credit line due to the account being open less than 13 months.

Starting to regret applying for this card. Gave up half my SPG credit line when I applied for this card. Definitely not worth the sign up bonus.
I really want to PC to a blue sky. This card has been open for less than a year, but has my first amex card open date.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Free agent
I'm still sitting on both my Blue and JB Amex cards. Waiting until they confirm dates before I nix the branded card. I'm going to get as much booking mileage as I can before March.

I'm using the current 2x base fare special coupled with my card to rack up some early year points.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 11:55 pm

When I spoke to a CSR from Jetblue, they said they will start accepting applications for their new card in late February (Feb 20 something, forgot the exact date). And that the current Jetblue card holders will be transferred over.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
I wonder if they may pull the current card members over before they start accepting new applications. Something to think about.

I'm cancelling mine right now. Quite honestly I hated AmEx anyway so am glad to be done with this card.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:07 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I called to transfer my JetBlue credit line to another one of my personal Amex cards so that when I cancel the card it would keep my utilization consistent for my credit rating. They submitted the request and said I would receive confirmation in the mail if the request is approved. I was surprised they couldn't just do it instantly.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by ymx
I called to transfer my JetBlue credit line to another one of my personal Amex cards so that when I cancel the card it would keep my utilization consistent for my credit rating. They submitted the request and said I would receive confirmation in the mail if the request is approved. I was surprised they couldn't just do it instantly.
How long have you had the card for? AMEX requires it be open for 13 months before allocating credit. See more at: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-to...rican-express/
Old Jan 9, 2016, 7:28 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
How long have you had the card for? AMEX requires it be open for 13 months before allocating credit. See more at: http://www.doctorofcredit.com/how-to...rican-express/
Thanks for the info, I did not know this. I've only had the JetBlue for about 6 months. I wonder if they will make an exception since I've had a 30 year relationship with Amex.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:09 pm

My annual fee is coming due in the upcoming days, so I gave AmEx a call to cancel. When the rep asked why I was looking to cancel and I said it was because AmEx was losing the JetBlue card, she said that the reps were recently given a memo that said that JetBlue cardholders will be given the option to convert to the AmEx Everyday card. She mentioned that notifications of the conversions would be going out in waves, with the first batch being Jan 5th, the second being Feb 10, and the third being March 23, with the actual conversion dates being April 2nd and May 14th should we choose to elect the conversion. Any annual fee paid before that time would be refunded. She read the whole memo, so it sounded like this wasn't just made up for the rep to not lose my account.

This goes against the leaks we've heard so far (insofar that the card would automatically be converted to Barclays) but is honestly not the worst news in the world. I'll pay the fee in the upcoming days, because if the reps info is wrong I can still cancel after the AF posts.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:25 pm

Thanks for sharing. Converting to any card would be great so that's great news. I'll give them a call in a few days.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by okposo21
My annual fee is coming due in the upcoming days, so I gave AmEx a call to cancel. When the rep asked why I was looking to cancel and I said it was because AmEx was losing the JetBlue card, she said that the reps were recently given a memo that said that JetBlue cardholders will be given the option to convert to the AmEx Everyday card.
Any idea what will happen if the client already have the everyday card?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:26 am
ymx

I had requested the transfer of the CL to my Everyday Preferred, and got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that the request was denied due to the short period my card has been open. I then called back to speak with a representative, and they looked further and told me even if it was not a short period, they can't move a credit line from the JetBlue card because they don't "own it" as it is JetBlue's product. Does that make sense or do you think the CSR was misinformed.

My two goals here are:

1. Prevent Barclays from automatically taking over my account with the new card, so I can sign up independently and receive the signup bonus

2. Not negatively impact my credit score by closing the JetBlue amex without reallocating the credit line — so my credit utilization stays the same.

Last edited by ymx; Jan 14, 2016 at 8:26 am Reason: typos
Old Jan 14, 2016, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
I had requested the transfer of the CL to my Everyday Preferred, and got a letter in the mail yesterday saying that the request was denied due to the short period my card has been open. I then called back to speak with a representative, and they looked further and told me even if it was not a short period, they can't move a credit line from the JetBlue card because they don't "own it" as it is JetBlue's product. Does that make sense or do you think the CSR was misinformed.

My two goals here are:

1. Prevent Barclays from automatically taking over my account with the new card, so I can sign up independently and receive the signup bonus

2. Not negatively impact my credit score by closing the JetBlue amex without reallocating the credit line — so my credit utilization stays the same.
When was the last time that you requested a CLI from Amex? If it's been at least six months, you can request a 3x CLI online. This may cover the lost line from closing your JetBlue Amex. Also, it should be a soft pull if you do it through the normal process.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 2:26 pm
ymx

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
When was the last time that you requested a CLI from Amex? If it's been at least six months, you can request a 3x CLI online. This may cover the lost line from closing your JetBlue Amex. Also, it should be a soft pull if you do it through the normal process.
I didn't think about option, thank you. I was thinking about opening another Amex card (SPG) so maybe that would take care of the utilization issues that will come from closing the JetBlue.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by ymx
I didn't think about option, thank you. I was thinking about opening another Amex card (SPG) so maybe that would take care of the utilization issues that will come from closing the JetBlue.
First try this to move your credit line, leaving $500 on the jetBlue card, with this link:
https://online.americanexpress.com/m...rdt_other_card

Give it a few business days.

Then use this to request a CLI:
https://online.americanexpress.com/m...dit&Face=en_US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.