Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2014/5: JetBlue and credit cards (AMEX)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014/5: JetBlue and credit cards (AMEX)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
You've got it in reverse -- Barclays had the Virgin America card, but gave it up to Comenity.
Yes I did. Thank you for correcting me.

Regardless, if the new card is like the new Virgin America card, it's an upgrade, especially with bag fee's coming.

Published reports yesterday state that Costco US is dropping AMEX as well.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:32 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Quick thought:

I don't currently have the B6 Credit Card, should I sign up for the card right now and bag the 20k bonus? (then probably get another offer when they switch over to the new card)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by hi55us
Quick thought:

I don't currently have the B6 Credit Card, should I sign up for the card right now and bag the 20k bonus? (then probably get another offer when they switch over to the new card)
Wondering the same thing. Is amex going to sweeten the offer down the road so it can dump it's trueblue points?
Old Feb 14, 2015, 6:12 am

Done deal - Amex is out

Updated Feb. 13, 2015 6:05 p.m. ET

American Express Co. and JetBlue Airways Corp. aren’t renewing their co-brand card arrangement, according to people familiar with the situation.

The Wall Street Journal reported Thursday that AmEx’s partnership with JetBlue was set to expire soon and that the airline had previously hinted it was on the verge of a new arrangement.

Under the agreement, JetBlue accepted all types of credit cards and wasn’t exclusive to AmEx.

So I'm going to apply for the Jblue Amex now...
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by hi55us
Quick thought:

If accounts are going to be converted to Barclays as is being rumored I don't think there would be an increase in the sign up bonus since Amex won't be keeping the accounts anyway. Thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by darkeststar
Wondering the same thing. Is amex going to sweeten the offer down the road so it can dump it's trueblue points?
Can we clarify the likelihood of this speculation coming true by citing any similar situations in the past? I'm on the fence, apply now or in six-eight months.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:02 pm

Does the bonus downgrade to 10 k bonus now
Old Feb 17, 2015, 6:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dangw20
If accounts are going to be converted to Barclays as is being rumored I don't think there would be an increase in the sign up bonus since Amex won't be keeping the accounts anyway. Thoughts?
How could AMEX accounts be converted to Barclays?? Sounds impossible to me. Credit card numbers are very different between AMEX and Visa/Mastercard.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
How could AMEX accounts be converted to Barclays?? Sounds impossible to me. Credit card numbers are very different between AMEX and Visa/Mastercard.
The account gets transferred to the new bank, and you get issued a new card with a new card number.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by NYCRuss
The account gets transferred to the new bank, and you get issued a new card with a new card number.
Unless you cancel before the conversion...
So you should get the AMEX card, get the bonus, then cancel soon after. Then wait for the new card issuer to come out and apply for the new card with bonus. Two bonuses in one year!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:40 am

So you should get the AMEX card, get the bonus, then cancel soon after. Then wait for the new card issuer to come out and apply for the new card with bonus. Two bonuses in one year!
That's my plan!
Old Feb 17, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: DL, B6, UA, AGR
Just cancelled my account as well, hadn't been using it much, but if Barclays has a compelling offer I'll likely reapply and get a new bonus.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCRuss
No, it does not get transferred to the new bank.

Amex will send you a new card to replace your jetBlue card as they want to keep you as a customer.

Whoever the new card issuer is will ask you to APPLY for their card.

Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:15 pm
Suspended

You think the new credit card issuer is willing to take a loss on the new JetBlue credit card in order to acquire customers? A "loss leader" so to say.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Long Distance
No, it does not get transferred to the new bank.Amex will send you a new card to replace your jetBlue card as they want to keep you as a customer.
Whoever the new card issuer is will ask you to APPLY for their card.
Are you sure? In my past experience, the new bank sent me a new card, and the old bank did nothing to replace what they lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.