Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue does not allow passengers to take open seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend miles

It happened yesterday flying to FLL all emergency exit seats were open, and I sat in one of them. About 2 hours into the flight I was asked to move back to my original seat (one row ahead)..... I understand airlines get extra $$ selling seats with more room, but this had never happened to me in any other airline, when there were open seats.... Is this a new industry practice I did not note in the 50+ flights I have taken this year?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Open seats

Originally Posted by Enandes
It happened yesterday flying to FLL all emergency exit seats were open, and I sat in one of them. About 2 hours into the flight I was asked to move back to my original seat (one row ahead)..... I understand airlines get extra $$ selling seats with more room, but this had never happened to me in any other airline, when there were open seats.... Is this a new industry practice I did not note in the 50+ flights I have taken this year?
That is the correct move. I pay for those seats occasionally and would get upset when another passenger moves into those seats without paying. If it was not the EMS seats than they would have no problem with you moving.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend miles
That's a good point and I understand it... On the other hand, I stopped paying for extra room when I realized my row mates did not pay a dime, and just checked in when all the "regular" seats had been taken
Old Oct 15, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Extra room

Originally Posted by Enandes
That's a good point and I understand it... On the other hand, I stopped paying for extra room when I realized my row mates did not pay a dime, and just checked in when all the "regular" seats had been taken
They are playing the system perfectly. Of course they could end up with a middle seat if someone decides to pay the $$$ for the EMS seats.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:56 pm

Paying $40 and get a row by yourself is awesome.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UA, AA & DL do the same thing with their version of "better" seats.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
This is standard practice. You only get them for free if the other regular seats are all full.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Originally Posted by diburning
This is standard practice. You only get them for free if the other regular seats are all full.
Also the person who got EMS for "free" probably paid more for his/her ticket and the EMS was rolled into the price
Old Oct 16, 2014, 10:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Also the person who got EMS for "free" probably paid more for his/her ticket and the EMS was rolled into the price.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by adambisi
Also the person who got EMS for "free" probably paid more for his/her ticket and the EMS was rolled into the price
Not necessarily. I've had a few situations where there were only middle seats available for assignment but the fares were still rather low. It happens some times.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
OP was trying to self-upgrade without paying. No dice, just like it'd be no dice on a different airline if he tried to sneak up into F.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by adambisi
Also the person who got EMS for "free" probably paid more for his/her ticket and the EMS was rolled into the price.
Not so. The site doesn't require you to select a seat upon booking. If all of the regular seats are full by the time you arrive at the gate, they will assign you an EMS seat. Same for stand-bys for earlier flights. It's just a gamble where you can either get an EMS seat or a middle seat in regular coach.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not so. The site doesn't require you to select a seat upon booking. If all of the regular seats are full by the time you arrive at the gate, they will assign you an EMS seat. Same for stand-bys for earlier flights. It's just a gamble where you can either get an EMS seat or a middle seat in regular coach.
I think the implication is that buying last minute (when only EML seats are selectable) is more expensive so getting it for "free" at the airport is more expensive anyways.

I don't completely agree with that view, but I believe that's what was being suggested.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:19 am

There are certain restrictions for sitting in exit rows including not having kids or other members of your party in other parts of the plane. Age and physical abilities also play into it. These are usually checked at the gate and before the flight.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:41 am

If you are Mosaic, they will sometimes (but not always) assign you an EMS seat at the gate.

When I buy a ticket, if there are only middles left, I don't select a seat. When I check in at the airport, I get a boarding authority card to get me past screening.

But once onboard the plane, they will not allow you to move into any EMS seat without paying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.