New Gates in Boston

Old Aug 24, 14, 8:11 am

Is C already set up for customs and immigration? Or will they need to land in E on arrival, and ferry over to C for the next departure?
Old Aug 24, 14, 10:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
The plane will arrive into Terminal E and after deplaning it will be tugged over to Terminal C for cleaning, catering, and loading and departure. Customers will need to clear Customs in Terminal E and if the are making a domestic connection they will have to transfer to the domestic terminal just as they do now. The only thing changing is that EK will now have ticket counter and lounge space in Terminal C instead of Terminal E.
Old Aug 24, 14, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Any word on what the lounge will be like in C? A normal Emirates-branded lounge or something else?

Is there anything there now? Not sure how long a lounge takes to remodel, but I assume EK wouldn't go long without a lounge.
The lounge should be completed by the time Emirates moves over to Terminal C. I think that is the main reason they aren't moving until September. The gate and counter space are available now to accommodate them and their staff but the lounge is still under construction.
Old Aug 24, 14, 3:07 pm

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA View Post
The lounge should be completed by the time Emirates moves over to Terminal C. I think that is the main reason they aren't moving until September. The gate and counter space are available now to accommodate them and their staff but the lounge is still under construction.
Are they taking the space from the old United Club? Any news on any type of lounge at BOS like at T5 at JFK?
Old Aug 24, 14, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Yes, they're taking the old United Club.

Etihad was able to get the UAE government to fund a US Customs station at Abu Dhabi. I would not be surprised if Emirates requested the same for Dubai. When that happens, Emirates may be able to use C for arrivals.
Old Aug 25, 14, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Life, EI Concierge, BA Silver
As mentioned in the original "RUMOUR" at the start of the thread, it makes even more sense to move EI over to C as they are:
1. All now precleared & 2. B6 connection partners pretty much exclusively.
Their lounges tend to be shared in most airports and pretty average at that!
Old Aug 25, 14, 8:11 am

I don't travel internationally much, unless you count Canada - there's something kind of exciting about going to the "International" terminal when you're leaving to cross an ocean. I don't disagree about the practicality of moving Emirates and Aer Lingus out of E - especially if they begin to participate in PreCheck, which doesnt exist at E. I kind of hope the longer term plan at BOS is to build a modern international terminal and airside connections. Otherwise, might as well move BA over to B as well and make it easier for OW connectivity.
Old Aug 25, 14, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
I don't travel internationally much, unless you count Canada - there's something kind of exciting about going to the "International" terminal when you're leaving to cross an ocean. I don't disagree about the practicality of moving Emirates and Aer Lingus out of E - especially if they begin to participate in PreCheck, which doesnt exist at E. I kind of hope the longer term plan at BOS is to build a modern international terminal and airside connections. Otherwise, might as well move BA over to B as well and make it easier for OW connectivity.
There is a $100 million dollar expansion of terminal E in the works.
Old Aug 25, 14, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
There is a $100 million dollar expansion of terminal E in the works.
I was under the impression they aren't adding gates, though. To be honest, I'm not sure what that $100M is actually buying. I've read a bunch is allocated to the C-E connector, but is that still the plan if B6's partners are trickling over to C?
Old Aug 25, 14, 4:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by keatm1 View Post
As mentioned in the original "RUMOUR" at the start of the thread, it makes even more sense to move EI over to C as they are:
But they also just built a new lounge in E.
Old Aug 28, 14, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Yes, they're taking the old United Club.

Etihad was able to get the UAE government to fund a US Customs station at Abu Dhabi. I would not be surprised if Emirates requested the same for Dubai. When that happens, Emirates may be able to use C for arrivals.
I think they will built new CBP facility at DXB. They won't be in entire terminal E. You will arrived at entire terminal C instead of terminal E. The entire terminal E is very congestion. You will be required to cleared US Customs & Immigrations at DXB or AUH. Your checked bags will be automatically to the final destinations cities. Your bags won't be re-screened. You don't have worry about re-screened the checked bags. They already being screened the checked bag by inline baggage screening system.

Originally Posted by keatm1 View Post
Right, they will be at entire terminal C instead of terminal E. They will cleared Customs & Immigrations in SNN or DUB. They won't necessary to re-screen the checked bags. The bags will be automatically to the final destinations cities. They will put on your next flight out.
Old Aug 29, 14, 6:46 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Emirates at C long term does not make sense. Mass Port is building the 380 gates at E. Maybe until those are ready, but no way they're going to park the big bird at C when the gates are at E.

It makes total sense for Aer Lingus.
Old Aug 30, 14, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by johhn14 View Post
Emirates at C long term does not make sense. Mass Port is building the 380 gates at E. Maybe until those are ready, but no way they're going to park the big bird at C when the gates are at E.

It makes total sense for Aer Lingus.
Yes, Aer Lingus will be at entire terminal C, but not in the terminal E. Terminal E is very congestion.
Old Aug 31, 14, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Originally Posted by lhl12 View Post
Wouldn't the right answer be to move Southwest to A, which I assume now has plenty of capacity since United consolidated in B, thereby freeing up all those E gates for International service?
UA only had 4 gates in terminal A, A5-A8. SY (Sun Country) has gotten one of those 4 gates since UA left and DL has taken over the other three, and is using them on a regular basis. DL had been a bit cramped in terminal A before UA moved out.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
Is C already set up for customs and immigration? Or will they need to land in E on arrival, and ferry over to C for the next departure?
Only E has a CBP area. DL wanted one in A when they built it 10 years ago, but got told no. I've heard two versions of the story: either MassPort said they had just spent lots of money on a terminal E renovation and didn't want to spend money on another CBP area or CBP said they didn't want to staff two separate areas at BOS as the traffic didn't warrant it.
Old Aug 31, 14, 11:27 am

If I had to blindly guess, I'd put that one on CBP before Massport.

Search this Thread