Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue's weird password rule: No Q or Z

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2014, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card

JetBlue has a funky rule for its frequent flyer members. Make whatever password you want. Just don't use a letter 'Q' or 'Z.'

The dangerously lame "Password1" is okay, but "QueazyQuetzal" is not. How quizzical.

As it turns out, the rule stems from the old school limitations of making travel reservations by phone.

ARTICLE: http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/14/tech...ce=yahoo_quote
I always wondered why my password did not working using my rotary phone. I can not figure out those modern push button things. I stick with the rotary phone I have been leasing from the phone company for the past 50 years. At only $2.99 a month on the lease I am WAY ahead!

Last edited by kettle1; May 15, 2014 at 1:23 am
Old May 15, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Originally Posted by kettle1
I stick with the rotary phone I have been leasing from the phone company for the past 50 years. At only $2.99 a month on the lease I am WAY ahead!
THIS!

Why pay $400 for one of those fancy portable phone when you can just do that???
Old May 15, 2014, 11:37 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I always wondered why my password did not working using my rotary phone. I can not figure out those modern push button things. I stick with the rotary phone I have been leasing from the phone company for the past 50 years. At only $2.99 a month on the lease I am WAY ahead!
One can buy (and own) a digital phone for under $10.00.
50 x 2.99 x 12 = $1794. An index card $0.01 with a note where Q and Z are--fills in the gap.
$1794.01 - $10 = $1784.01 in the win column for you.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
You can Qs and Zs. I generated my password with LastPass and it includes those characters.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: US SP, JetBlue Mosaic, AMEX Plat
You all laugh about people leasing telephones from the phone company. I have to dig up the article somewhere, but...

Somewhere about five or even seven years back, a woman going through her elderly mothers bills realized her mother was still paying Verizon a monthly lease for her land line telephone. She actually sued Verizon in a class action on behalf of the roughly ~800 people (almost all elderly and over 80 or 90 years old) who were still paying a monthly cost to lease a telephone. The judge basically looked at Verizon and was like "it's technically not illegal, but really... are you serious?" and Verizon agreed to just up and stop charging the monthly fees.

Sad but funny at the same time.
Old May 16, 2014, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by MPScan
You all laugh about people leasing telephones from the phone company. I have to dig up the article somewhere, but...

Somewhere about five or even seven years back, a woman going through her elderly mothers bills realized her mother was still paying Verizon a monthly lease for her land line telephone. She actually sued Verizon in a class action on behalf of the roughly ~800 people (almost all elderly and over 80 or 90 years old) who were still paying a monthly cost to lease a telephone. The judge basically looked at Verizon and was like "it's technically not illegal, but really... are you serious?" and Verizon agreed to just up and stop charging the monthly fees.

Sad but funny at the same time.
That is funny. OP here: I put it in as a joke. That is why I threw in a

Who today uses a rotary phone? That dials? Who leases a phone from the phone company? I think back in the 60's everyone did.

It is funny it took JetBlue, until a few months ago to change their policy of passwords to include Q or Z. (as stated at the end of the article).

I'm still sticking with my rotary phones (I have 3 in my house) that I lease from the phone company at $2.99 each per month. So, triple the above figures.

It took me hours to type this using my rotary phone, but it was done.
Old May 16, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
That is funny. OP here: I put it in as a joke. That is why I threw in a

Who today uses a rotary phone? That dials? Who leases a phone from the phone company? I think back in the 60's everyone did.
Yes, when AT&T was a monopoly, you had no choice but to lease the telephone from the company. On the upside, the quality of the phones themselves was amazing. The standard they were built to was 2 outages in 40 years.
Old May 16, 2014, 9:08 am

What are these 'land line phones' people keeping mentioning?
Old May 17, 2014, 8:39 am

Straying off topic, but does the lease include local service or does the lease just cover the physical phone itself?

Haven't had a landline in almost 10 years... just curious about the leasing.
Old May 17, 2014, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by will2288
What are these 'land line phones' people keeping mentioning?
There are lines on the land? Like, roads? What's a phone got to do with roads?
Old May 17, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ne52
Straying off topic, but does the lease include local service or does the lease just cover the physical phone itself?

Haven't had a landline in almost 10 years... just curious about the leasing.
the monthly fee just paid for the equipment (landline rotary or touchtone phone).

In our area (ex-gte verizon area), they just recently did away with a monthly touch tone dialing fee

I have fond memories in the mid/late 80s of a busy GTE store in the middle of the mall. Instead of people rushing for Iphones, they were in line to do warranty swaps on their rotary or touch tone leased phones.

I was only 7 at the time, but I remember asking my grandma why she would pay every month for a phone that sold for only $7.95. She told me that was absurd, phones aren't nearly that cheap. I showed her the newspaper ad which had a conair phone. I helped her plug them in and unplug the GTE phones that night.
Old May 18, 2014, 3:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Who today uses a rotary phone? That dials?
We still have about a half-dozen rotary dial phones at one property in the continental US. They work just fine and guests are always pleasantly surprised to find that such phones are still in service. They also make a great, old-fashioned ringing sound
Old May 18, 2014, 2:33 pm
Suspended

I stick with the rotary phone I have been leasing from the phone company for the past 50 years. At only $2.99 a month on the lease I am WAY ahead!
I bet that you could just offer to return those phones and get them off of your bill. i doubt that they would ever collect them.
you'll put $100+/year in your pocket.
Old May 23, 2014, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I have a rotary desk phone from my grandmother circa late '60s in my home office, connected to an old fashioned copper phone line. And yes, I do use it from time to time as the sound quality is far better than on my iPhone! I leave it unplugged though, as the ringer can never be silenced.

My parents and grandparents both bought their formerly leased phones from AT&T in the early '80s, for a nominal fee ($20-50, perhaps?) They are solid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.