Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Thoughts/Reviews on JetBlue Fly-Fi (ViaSat Exede)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2014, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone here have experience using Exede Inflight Wifi from ViaSat? JetBlue Fly-Fi is currently in beta, but the technology behind their setup is the most intriguing, in my opinion.

Any feedback or reviews from people who know for certain that they used this particular option during their JetBlue flight?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 2:09 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Have used it from LGB to LAS and SFO to JFK. Both times it worked great. Was nice to have in flight.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
I've been unlucky in my transcon journeys and have only had a FlyFi plane once since we started installing it on the planes but everybody on the flight seemed to really enjoy it and were happy we had it. I personally haven't been able to test it yet but if I ever get it on a commute i'll test it out.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 6:52 am

I used it from JFK to MCO and it was fantastic. Imagine browsing the web and not knowing you're using airplane wifi because nothing is really noticeably slower when it comes to web browsing and email than on the ground-- that's what it's like.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 11:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by passthetime
Does anyone here have experience using Exede Inflight Wifi from ViaSat? JetBlue Fly-Fi is currently in beta
I've used it twice. Spectacularly fast and most definitely not in beta. There are 30+ planes equipped at this point.

It is the best product flying today.

A321s just got the STC, too.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I felt like I was on United today (well yesterday in eastern time) It was a FlyFi equipped flight and it did not work at all.
Old May 2, 2014, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
I felt like I was on United today (well yesterday in eastern time) It was a FlyFi equipped flight and it did not work at all.
Are you sure it was the ViaSat Exede version? United Airlines has contracts with several providers so their service is pretty fragmented. I don't think they call it Fly-Fi either; I think that is only a JetBlue thing.
Old May 2, 2014, 2:02 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
As unfortunate as it is the system is still in a Beta process so service may be interrupted as we continue to work and optimize the system. My apologies for the system being inactive for your flight.
Old May 3, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, JetBlue Mosiac, Hilton Diamond
Free is good

I used the free version this week on bos-dfw, not the super fast paid version. When it worked, it was great. It lost the signal many times, but I wasn't upset because a) it's in beta, and b) it was free. And c) it's an upgrade over the usual 4 hours of being out of touch.
Old May 14, 2014, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

Any other thoughts?
Old May 15, 2014, 6:19 pm

I used it on BOS->SFO this past Monday. It worked for a bit under 50% of the flight - I got an error message more then I got through. When it worked the performance was good and it seemed to function fine.
Old May 16, 2014, 12:00 am

Had FlyFi on-board twice. First time it worked for about 10% of the flight, but had more error mssgs or hangs than actually working. Second time was beautiful. Fast fast fast. Once it is stable, it will kick the crap out of gogo.
Old May 16, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: Trueblue, Skymiles, AAdvantage
As of Today, 43 A320's have Fly-fi, I just did 4 separate flights and didn't have it once, can't wait to try it!
Old May 18, 2014, 5:03 pm

This message posted using FlyFi from LGB->SEA. The free version is a bit like a 28.8 modem. Usable, but you probably open up 4 browser windows, then go back to the first one to read it.
Old May 18, 2014, 7:43 pm

Just used it on JFK-PDX

Well I used it on a flight from JFK to PDX earlier this week. I was a bit confused about the various programs, but I paid for the super fast version, as I wanted to watch a few videos. However our routing that evening required us to fly towards Canada, and there was no way for me to pause the internet usage, despite the website said it could. Anyway, the signal was lost as the plane headed deep into Vermont before even entering the Canadian airspace. Direct TV was fine, but not the internet. Then I tried to start using it once we entered the Wisconsin airspace. Then I realized they keep on charging me even though the signal was no longer available. Then I paid for another hour of service, but there was definitely some blind spot in some parts of the country. After the second hour was expired, I just used the "Free" version, which was more than sufficient. I used twitters and facebook with no issues.

I later wrote to JetBlue and they refunded me the first hour of service.

There are definitely issues that JetBlue needs to work on, especially some blind spots on Northern part of the country near the Canadian border. Maybe they should have a map printed somewhere showing the blind spots. They also need to do something to allow people to pause the premium service.

Anyway, the system, when it works, is definitely better than the GoGo network IMHO. I think once JetBlue works out some of these issues, I won't hesitate to use it again.

Carfield

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.