Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Pilots Vote in Favor of Unionization

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium

After two failed unionization attempts (one in 2009 and one in 2011), the biggest US carrier without a union now has one. More than 71% of JetBlue's 2,600 pilots voted to unionize. They will be represented by Air Line Pilots Association (ALPA).

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ation/8014919/

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000269441

https://twitter.com/WeAreALPA/status/458670834966474752
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
So fares will go up and up.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
So fares will go up and up.
Why? Does unionization increase demand or reduce supply?
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Increased costs are made up by increasing revenue. Of the 4 companies I worked for that unionized during my time there 3 of them had increased costs of employment (and not all of that went into the employees pockets as Unions cost themselves).
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:39 pm
Suspended

JetBlue will be on par with Delta after this unionization move as it is also represented by ALPA.

http://nwlaborpress.org/wp-content/u...0/FlyUnion.pdf

I personally believe in right to work and don't believe in forced union dues. NY needs to have this policy of forced union dues repealed. It is horrible.

Last edited by adamj023; Apr 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rjque
Why? Does unionization increase demand or reduce supply?
Increased costs. This is how the unions drove Detroit to bankruptcy.

Unions are also part of the reason why all U.S. based airlines have bad customer services. You can't easily fire bad apples. Unions were created back to protect workers, but now they are political machines.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:20 pm

They also only act in the best interest of the Union, which is the preservation of said Union, and not necessarily the membership which leads to conflicts within which means further discontent by the membership.
And before someone calls me an unknowing Union Basher I am the son of two Union members (Teacher & Contractors) and myself was in a Union (by force) and have seen what Unions can/will do.

Originally Posted by naumank
Increased costs. This is how the unions drove Detroit to bankruptcy.

Unions are also part of the reason why all U.S. based airlines have bad customer services. You can't easily fire bad apples. Unions were created back to protect workers, but now they are political machines.

Last edited by Yoshi212; Apr 22, 2014 at 5:26 pm
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:36 pm

Increased costs. This is how the unions drove Detroit to bankruptcy..
Yes, it had nothing to do with the quality of the product (crap -- Ford Pinto, anyone?) or the consumers' perception of the product or corporate mismanagement or . . .
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:47 pm

Unions are also part of the reason why all U.S. based airlines have bad customer services.
But never mind that the U.S. also has airlines known for their customer service that are unionized (Hawaiian) or, for that matter, the airlines of many countries that are unionized --some that are more even more prone to clashing with management -- and also manage to have good customer service -- say, Qantas, British Airways . . .
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Increased costs are made up by increasing revenue. Of the 4 companies I worked for that unionized during my time there 3 of them had increased costs of employment (and not all of that went into the employees pockets as Unions cost themselves).
Airlines charge the highest fare the market will bear, regardless of cost (and if they don't, they are not doing their job for their shareholders). Higher costs make it harder for them to make a profit, yes, but those costs can't impact an airfare that should already be at the highest level the market will bear.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travisw
Yes, it had nothing to do with the quality of the product (crap -- Ford Pinto, anyone?) or the consumers' perception of the product or corporate mismanagement or . . .
Seriously. I learned from an early age that American cars are generally less reliable than Japanese cars.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:29 pm

Good for them; it's about time.

I am management, but from what I have seen that JB's management did to the pilots, it was necessary. Management deserves what they got and will just have to pay themselves less in order to make it right.

Besides, management is generally incompetent at JB; consider the IROPs that no other airline has experienced over and over and over.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 7:46 pm

You do have a point so I shall amend my "And fares will go up and up" statement to "And Management will monetize to compensate" which means the loss of "freebies" such as the first bag flights free (hope that doesn't go even though I rarely check bags), increased charge for the second bag, changes in the complimentary and for purchase snacks/drinks and so on.

Originally Posted by rjque
Airlines charge the highest fare the market will bear, regardless of cost (and if they don't, they are not doing their job for their shareholders). Higher costs make it harder for them to make a profit, yes, but those costs can't impact an airfare that should already be at the highest level the market will bear.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

There was a reason that JetBlue consistently ended up on top of recent consumer polls. Say goodbye to that and hallo to the beginning of a downhill slide.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:04 pm
Suspended

You do have a point so I shall amend my "And fares will go up and up" statement to "And Management will monetize to compensate" which means the loss of "freebies" such as the first bag flights free (hope that doesn't go even though I rarely check bags), increased charge for the second bag, changes in the complimentary and for purchase snacks/drinks and so on.
Well if that is true, then there is no point to Jetblue existing, right? That's one of the reasons they were created, to offer more than the other guys.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.