Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue cuts several routes for DCA expansion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold

In preparation for DCA expansion JetBlue is axing several underperforming routes are being eliminated

AUSSFO ends June 16
IADLGB ends Sep 2
IADOAK ends June 16
PBISJU ends June 16
BUFRSW currently seasonal will not resume

IAD to secondary airports seems to have clearly suffered with the addition of DCA service by UA AA and Virgin in LAX and SFO.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:03 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, Rapid Rewards
IAD was well on its way to a JB hub only six years ago. Now they will have 4 daily flights each way.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; HTC_T120C Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

I say drop IAD altogether and add DCA-JFK.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Did they tried IAD-SMF/SJC/SAN/LAS?
Old Mar 24, 2014, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH
Did they tried IAD-SMF/SJC/SAN/LAS?
Awhile ago, yes. Along with CUN.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLIHGH
Awhile ago, yes. Along with CUN.
Yes, IAD-CUN as well. They tried. It didn't work out.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: AA, UA
Sad to see AUS-SFO being eliminated. Competition from Virgin America and United was too much.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
It is more a strategy change than competition from VX and UA. SFO-AUS started when there was going to be a focus city in Austin to connect traffic from SFO to Florida. B6 now has non-stops to FLL from SFO and FLL is a growth market for B6 and AUS is no longer a growing one for jetBlue. Given limited resources, this flight is no longer a crucial market to defend. FLL/BOS/Carribbean are the three focus points for growth with DCA being the 4th--at least to fill the slots they just obtained.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's also really hard to market service with minimal frequency when you are up against competitors with greater frequency. When your IAD-LGB goes MX at LGB, it's a mess. When one of UA's 8-9x frequencies LAX-IAD goes MX, there's a likely solution and even if there isn't a great one, there's multiple frequencies to JFK & BWI. Really hard for a business traveler to choose B6 over UA on that basis.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by austin_res
Sad to see AUS-SFO being eliminated. Competition from Virgin America and United was too much.
Wow...That's terrible. They didn't do it. Too much competitive against VX & UA.

Perhaps, I think they will have freeing it up to fly somewhere else.

I think they will abandon AUS focus cities.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 8:21 pm

Programs: MR & SPG Plat, BA Silver, AA Gold, UA Silver
I'm actually sad to see the IAD-OAK and IAD-LGB go. I've done those segments multiple times and was convenient and affordable solution living in the DC metro. OAK isn't as ideal as SFO but the LGB was doable for the SoCal area. Now living the Baltimore area, I would LOVE to see JetBlue expand routes instead of just BWI-BOS. If they flew BWI-SFO or BWI-OAK, they would only have to compete with ONE airline (United) and ONE route a day.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by pdpgps
I'm actually sad to see the IAD-OAK and IAD-LGB go. I've done those segments multiple times and was convenient and affordable solution living in the DC metro. OAK isn't as ideal as SFO but the LGB was doable for the SoCal area. Now living the Baltimore area, I would LOVE to see JetBlue expand routes instead of just BWI-BOS. If they flew BWI-SFO or BWI-OAK, they would only have to compete with ONE airline (United) and ONE route a day.
IAD-LGB was crazy cheap-- I once got it for 109 one way. Sad to see it go as well.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by pdpgps
Southwest is restarting OAK-BWI in June
Old Apr 7, 2014, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
Southwest is restarting OAK-BWI in June
It appears that flight service is very short lived. I thought it was summer seasonal anyways, but it actually ends August 9 about the same time the PHL-FLL, PIT-FLL and RDU-FLL WN flights are yanked, all for DCA.

Last edited by rtalk25; Apr 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.