Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

2014 Mosaic Challenge + status match

2014 Mosaic Challenge + status match

Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: AA PRO, AS 100K
Originally Posted by rjburns
I got the email and signed up. I'm AA Platinum, Delta Gold and United Gold. Sent in a copy of my AA plat statement but no Mosaic status upgrade. **Only** took 30 minutes to reach someone on the phone who said no dice for an upgrade to Mosaic until the challenge is complete.
Did you receive a response by email? According to the FAQ,

How do I know if I've been accepted into the Challenge?
Approximately 2 weeks after you send your Mosaic Challenge application email, you will receive an email from TrueBlue that will inform you whether your application has been accepted. If you have been accepted, we will let you know when your 90-day challenge period begins. (Don't worry, it won't begin before you get accepted!) Also, if you sent valid proof of enrollment/status in one of the eligible airline loyalty programs, the email will confirm that your Mosaic status has kicked in for 2014.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, JetBlue Mosaic
I think that saying it's a "fraud" is too much, but the match (for which I don't qualify this year, anyhow) and the challenge eligibility is opaque. First apply. Then JetBlue decides if they will accept you for a challenge. This is a way for JetBlue to control the supply of Mosaic status, but since Mosaic offers so few ongoing tangible flight-experience benefits besides earlier boarding (e.g., no pgrades to EMS if available at check-in, etc.) I don't get why the throttle on the challenge is established where it is.

Giving immediate match to high-tier elite flyers makes sense. The fact that the other members can apply to participate in the challenge but can be rejected for some opaque reason does not encourage lower-tier FFs (or no-status newbies) to shift or begin to book on B6.

Flyers who already are planning travel during what would be the 90-day challenge period would be foolish to do so on B6 if they already have any kind of status on competing carriers. You have to wait to be accepted on the basis of unknown criteria.

B6 is rationing the Mosaic status for reasons best known to itself, but it apparently is not to attract new pax from other carriers. With AirTran replaced with SW, there's a chance to grab the AirTran Elites who will inherit SW A+ status. I'm talking regular business flyers, not the 2x/year leisure pax.

For transcon B6 might be wise to invite lower-tier status members on other carriers to submit those credentials at the time they open up the challenge to all of its TrueBlue members. In that way they encourage participation, and if they are going to cherry-pick, at least they are going for some more likely "we'll reward you with status; you'll reward us with more purchases" pax.

The challenge itself is not complex, but getting into it is a big question mark. Apply, sit around and wait, and get told. Maybe get told "never mind." So as concerns bothering with something that's set up as a game before the game has begun . . . never mind.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HatAndJacket
...and even complimentary space- available mint upgrades,
You know that none of the others offer this to their comparable elites, right??
can anyone confirm this claim that the status match is a fraud? I've seen it reported as legit in many different places
It is absolutely not a fraud. I've communicated personally with JetBlue's Director of Loyalty and she confirmed that it is real.
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
I think that saying it's a "fraud" is too much, but the match (for which I don't qualify this year, anyhow) and the challenge eligibility is opaque. First apply. Then JetBlue decides if they will accept you for a challenge. This is a way for JetBlue to control the supply of Mosaic status, but since Mosaic offers so few ongoing tangible flight-experience benefits besides earlier boarding (e.g., no pgrades to EMS if available at check-in, etc.) I don't get why the throttle on the challenge is established where it is.
They're not limiting access to control the numbers. They don't care if every customer is working towards the challenge. The process of making it happen appears to be somewhat manual, hence the need for some time on the back-end to make it work, but they're not prohibiting people from signing up for the challenge.
Originally Posted by BlaiseBOS
B6 is rationing the Mosaic status
No, they are not.

Originally Posted by Kelly Roe
I also like that we don’t leave Customers without status in the dark – absolutely anyone can sign up for the challenge and still qualify, even if they don’t automatically get the match.

Last edited by sbm12; Mar 24, 2014 at 8:26 am
Old Mar 24, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG GOLD, UA DIRT, AA PLAT, US (RIP), Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by sbm12
You know that none of the others offer this to their comparable elites, right??
What? I'm running between 50-75% upgrades on DL, and UA, US, and AS offer this benefit, too... and AA makes it possible with stickers... DL, US, and AA all offer elites complimentary Y+ and mosaic just offers me the "privilege" of spending miles to buy even more space... mosaic lets me have a free second checked bag... DL gives me that with medallion+amex... and how often do I check two bags on short business trips anyway?

I like B6 and am totally open to switching but they have got to up their gamewith mosaic benefits and intl network
Old Mar 24, 2014, 1:28 pm

What? I'm running between 50-75% upgrades on DL, and UA, US, and AS offer this benefit, too...
No. None of them offer free upgrades to the equivalent of their "Mint" product which is what you were asking for.

As for the others offering free "Y+" in many cases it isn't all that much different than the 34" pitch everyone gets on JetBlue's A320s. When everyone on board already has more or less what the competition is offering as the up-sell it is hard to give away another benefit and make a customer see the value there.
Old Mar 24, 2014, 2:32 pm

No. None of them offer free upgrades to the equivalent of their "Mint" product which is what you were asking for.

As for the others offering free "Y+" in many cases it isn't all that much different than the 34" pitch everyone gets on JetBlue's A320s. When everyone on board already has more or less what the competition is offering as the up-sell it is hard to give away another benefit and make a customer see the value there.
maybe mint is better than the legacy domestic product elites get upgrades to, but why would I choose no upgrade on B6 vs upgrades to business first on a legacy? mint is a lovely product but with no upgrades, B6 leaves the modern elite flyer with much to be desired
Old Mar 24, 2014, 3:33 pm

maybe mint is better than the legacy domestic product elites get upgrades to, but why would I choose no upgrade on B6 vs upgrades to business first on a legacy? mint is a lovely product but with no upgrades, B6 leaves the modern elite flyer with much to be desired
Mint is the equivalent of UA's p.s., American's Flagship Business Class or Delta's BusinessElite on transcons. None of them offer free upgrades at the lower elite levels and only AA offers free upgrades at the top tier. And, yes, all of those are better than typical domestic F.

As for leaving much to be desired, that's putting quite a bit of value on the typical domestic upgrade, a product which really isn't all that special. And, believe it or not, some people value other benefits more than upgrades. I'm not saying JetBlue is perfect in those, but waived change fees can save a frequent traveler with an uncertain schedule a lot of cash over the course of a year. Only AS offers anything similar as an elite benefit (WN has it as part of their fare structure but no free standby, something JetBlue does have in a limited form).
Old Mar 25, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Amex Plat, Mosaic, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Question

This month, I got the Mosaic Challenge/Match via email. I applied two days ago using a screen shot of my FF card as proof of status. Will keep you posted on progress.

Background:
I applied for the Challenge last year using my newly acquired AAdvantage Gold status (Did AA blitz people with Gold upgrades last year?) and B6 approved me to take the challenge based on that; I had to accumulate 3,750 points in 90 days.

Being a newbie, I made expensive mistakes. I didn't know how to read technical jargon that kept me from realizing a lot of the programs for which I signed up. For example, I bought roundtrip tickets on their Getaways package, thinking that the points earned would qualify me sooner. They didn't. Not even the flight portion. I wasted a lot of time and energy trying to resolve all this. And eventually, failing the challenge.

I'm taking this Challenge thing again...perhaps, knowing better how to navigate things?
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by LionTamer
This month, I got the Mosaic Challenge/Match via email. I applied two days ago using a screen shot of my FF card as proof of status. Will keep you posted on progress.

Background:
I applied for the Challenge last year using my newly acquired AAdvantage Gold status (Did AA blitz people with Gold upgrades last year?) and B6 approved me to take the challenge based on that; I had to accumulate 3,750 points in 90 days.

Being a newbie, I made expensive mistakes. I didn't know how to read technical jargon that kept me from realizing a lot of the programs for which I signed up. For example, I bought roundtrip tickets on their Getaways package, thinking that the points earned would qualify me sooner. They didn't. Not even the flight portion. I wasted a lot of time and energy trying to resolve all this. And eventually, failing the challenge.

I'm taking this Challenge thing again...perhaps, knowing better how to navigate things?
always read the fine print!!

and welcome to FT
Old Mar 25, 2014, 4:45 pm

Mint is the equivalent of UA's p.s., American's Flagship Business Class or Delta's BusinessElite on transcons. None of them offer free upgrades at the lower elite levels and only AA offers free upgrades at the top tier. And, yes, all of those are better than typical domestic F.

As for leaving much to be desired, that's putting quite a bit of value on the typical domestic upgrade, a product which really isn't all that special. And, believe it or not, some people value other benefits more than upgrades. I'm not saying JetBlue is perfect in those, but waived change fees can save a frequent traveler with an uncertain schedule a lot of cash over the course of a year. Only AS offers anything similar as an elite benefit (WN has it as part of their fare structure but no free standby, something JetBlue does have in a limited form).
waived change fees is a great perk, I will grant you that, but being more difficult to qualify for than similar levels of other programs, lack of upgrades and lack of international network of partners means mosaic is still lagging behind
Old Mar 25, 2014, 7:36 pm

but being more difficult to qualify for than similar levels of other programs,
How do you figure?

It is roughly equivalent to the 25-50k tier of other programs in terms of average spend to get there. How many free upgrades do you get as an AA Gold? Or a DL Silver? And which is a better value?

The international redemption partners bit is certainly lacking and is my main gripe with the program. But that's not related to elite status or not.
Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:25 pm

How do you figure?

It is roughly equivalent to the 25-50k tier of other programs in terms of average spend to get there. How many free upgrades do you get as an AA Gold? Or a DL Silver? And which is a better value?

The international redemption partners bit is certainly lacking and is my main gripe with the program. But that's not related to elite status or not.
It's not a bad program, it's just not worth the $5000 you need to spend on B6 flights to get it. It's more of an equivalent of AA Gold or DL FO than Plat or GM... and I get upgraded as a GM more than half the time. As FO last year, more than 1/3 of the time. At the very, very least, mosaic members should get complimentary even more space seats at check in if available
Old Mar 27, 2014, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rjburns
I got the email and signed up. I'm AA Platinum, Delta Gold and United Gold. Sent in a copy of my AA plat statement but no Mosaic status upgrade. **Only** took 30 minutes to reach someone on the phone who said no dice for an upgrade to Mosaic until the challenge is complete.

Who has the time and energy to fight with JetBlue on everything?

So after emailing JetBlue w/ proof of UA Plat status I got accepted for the challenge, but like you I didn't immediately get status matched to Mosaic. Called JetBlue and am disappointed to say that the customer service reps are poorly educated on how the challenge works. After being placed on hold twice and the rep having a conversation with her supervisor she stated it would take 2 weeks for JetBlue to confirm my status and upgrade to Mosaic for 2014. Why would it take 2 weeks to look at the image I attached in the email

If your home airport is a JetBlue hub (like JFK or BOS) I see no loss in signing up cause you still get Mosaic for 2014 regardless of whether you meet the challenge requirements. No change fee is a nice perk as UA charges $200 per change.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by ziggynagy
So after emailing JetBlue w/ proof of UA Plat status I got accepted for the challenge, but like you I didn't immediately get status matched to Mosaic. Called JetBlue and am disappointed to say that the customer service reps are poorly educated on how the challenge works. After being placed on hold twice and the rep having a conversation with her supervisor she stated it would take 2 weeks for JetBlue to confirm my status and upgrade to Mosaic for 2014. Why would it take 2 weeks to look at the image I attached in the email

If your home airport is a JetBlue hub (like JFK or BOS) I see no loss in signing up cause you still get Mosaic for 2014 regardless of whether you meet the challenge requirements. No change fee is a nice perk as UA charges $200 per change.
When does challenge start, immediately?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by surf121
When does challenge start, immediately?
Step 1: Email jetblue [email protected] with your TrueBlue#
Step 2: You will get an email titled "Your Challenge Period Begins Now". You'll have 90 days to meet the challenge the day you receive this email.

It took 5 days between when I emailed JetBlue and when my challenge started if you're looking for a time frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.