FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   JetBlue | TrueBlue (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue-492/)
-   -   Compensation for passengers affected by January 2014 winter storm (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetblue-trueblue/1538994-compensation-passengers-affected-january-2014-winter-storm.html)

sbm12 Jan 7, 2014 2:47 pm

Compensation for passengers affected by January 2014 winter storm

Per the chart published by JetBlue today:
http://blog.jetblue.com/wp-content/u...ix-500x173.jpg

http://blog.jetblue.com/index.php/20...omer-recovery/
http://blog.wandr.me/2014/01/jetblue...-winter-storm/

Specific expense reimbursement is also being reconsidered on a case-by-case basis.

Customers who incurred out-of-pocket expenses between January 3 – January 10 as a direct result of cancellations will be reviewed and taken into consideration for reimbursement. Customers may submit their receipts and request for review to [email protected]. Only submissions with receipts will be considered for reimbursement and all submissions must be made by January 31, 2014. Customers who have already submitted requests via jetblue.com/contact-us will be contacted by a crewmember and do not need to resubmit.

Dodge DeBoulet Jan 7, 2014 3:09 pm

I was supposed to be in NY this week, but my Monday 6am flight from PWM to JFK was cancelled due to WX (freezing rain). There was nothing at all available before my return flight Wednesday night.

Although it took a day and a half to get through to B6's customer service, I was very pleased to find that they waived the change fee even though my rebook was outside of the window . . . I'd already booked next week's flight and the window closes on the 16th.

The miles bonus is just icing on the cake, since I really didn't want to travel to NY this week anyway ;)

rjburns Jan 7, 2014 8:43 pm

Why I Hate Jet Blue

Well, I never got to new York. if I don't get to work, I don't make any money.

JetBlue doesn't fly in bad weather - no problem
Jet Blue doesn't answer the phone - Not Acceptable
JetBlue web site doesn't work - Inexcusable
No rebooking on real airlines - You get what you pay for

Bottom line: You can't rely on jet Blue

tkyoshi Jan 7, 2014 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by rjburns (Post 22107942)
Well, I never got to new York. if I don't get to work, I don't make any money.

JetBlue doesn't fly in bad weather - no problem
Jet Blue doesn't answer the phone - Not Acceptable
JetBlue web site doesn't work - Inexcusable
No rebooking on real airlines - You get what you pay for

Bottom line: You can't rely on jet Blue

How long did you wait, this reporter waited 12 Hrs for UA to pickup the phone (UA site wasn't working either) :P

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/unite...IJURlCwHA.html

DL2SXM Jan 8, 2014 6:24 am

Originally Posted by tkyoshi (Post 22108258)
How long did you wait, this reporter waited 12 Hrs for UA to pickup the phone (UA site wasn't working either) :P

and somehow that makes it OK for jetblew not to answer the phones? The message is describing the inadequacies of JetBlue. The compensation is also rather pathetic. 4+ cancels and all I get is $200.00? Hopefully they're transferrable and ccould be sold on craigslist.

RickStevesWannabe Jan 8, 2014 6:26 am

Originally Posted by tkyoshi (Post 22108258)

Wow. That's a doozy. That was exactly what Jetblue was trying to avoid by getting rid of the hold queue. But its VERY annoying to not have a point of contact to correct the issues. And it doesn't help that the Jetblue mobile App sucks and glitches like crazy.

Here's my Jetblue story:

Our flight was scheduled to leave at around 7pm Sunday evening. I knew there were going to be delays or cancellations so I checked the website constantly. They kept pushing back the flight every 30 minutes or so multiple times until it stuck on 330am departure. I wouldn't leave for the airport until I knew the inbound flight left JFK. once it did, I left. (Was on the phone with JB going over options and the person recommended that I stick with the current flight) However, once we got there and boarded, the plane left the gate and right when it was about to go off towards the runway, it turned back to the gate! They said they missed the curfew time by 5 MINUTES. The Captain was very apologetic but everyone was PISSED. How the hell can JB send a crew that's about to time out?? Why not cancel the flight outright before having to drag customers through a 7 hour delay??? The worst thing about that is that you CAN'T sleep since you're watching when your flight is supposed to leave. No time to rest.

Anyways, it took hours to get everyone a hotel, a hotel most of the flight would only stay in a few hours since we got our rooms at 830am. Checked out at 12 and headed back out to the airport (Only 1 hour of sleep... ugh). But before then they treated everyone to a nice catered Lunch on the top of the Pegasus hotel. As the same crew walked toward the gate past us, we gave them a standing ovation since we knew, quite possibly, this would be the flight that gets off the ground.

I was stuck in Kingston for over a day with one cancellation. Just one. I must have had an aggregate of 10 hours worth of delays. To avoid having to cancel flights en mass before yesterday, they dragged the departure times for my flights. That was unacceptable. However, the Jetblue staff tried their best to help everyone, even though at first things seemed a little disorganized at times. That's why I won't count out JetBlue just yet as their staff is the airline's saving grace. But they have to do something about their operations during disruptions. I went through that nonsense in 07 and it wasn't fun.

RickStevesWannabe Jan 8, 2014 6:36 am

Originally Posted by DL2SXM (Post 22109808)
and somehow that makes it OK for jetblew not to answer the phones? The message is describing the inadequacies of JetBlue. The compensation is also rather pathetic. 4+ cancels and all I get is $200.00? Hopefully they're transferrable and ccould be sold on craigslist.

It is very little. I remember getting a JB credit for a 3 hour delay once for $50 bucks. But I suppose they can't afford to give the standard compensation to everyone.

bmg42000 Jan 8, 2014 6:43 am

curfew

Originally Posted by RickStevesWannabe (Post 22109820)
Wow. That's a doozy. That was exactly what Jetblue was trying to avoid by getting rid of the hold queue. But its VERY annoying to not have a point of contact to correct the issues. And it doesn't help that the Jetblue mobile App sucks and glitches like crazy.

Here's my Jetblue story:

Our flight was scheduled to leave at around 7pm Sunday evening. I knew there were going to be delays or cancellations so I checked the website constantly. They kept pushing back the flight every 30 minutes or so multiple times until it stuck on 330am departure. I wouldn't leave for the airport until I knew the inbound flight left JFK. once it did, I left. (Was on the phone with JB going over options and the person recommended that I stick with the current flight) However, once we got there and boarded, the plane left the gate and right when it was about to go off towards the runway, it turned back to the gate! They said they missed the curfew time by 5 MINUTES. The Captain was very apologetic but everyone was PISSED. How the hell can JB send a crew that's about to time out?? Why not cancel the flight outright before having to drag customers through a 7 hour delay??? The worst thing about that is that you CAN'T sleep since you're watching when your flight is supposed to leave. No time to rest.

Anyways, it took hours to get everyone a hotel, a hotel most of the flight would only stay in a few hours since we got our rooms at 830am. Checked out at 12 and headed back out to the airport (Only 1 hour of sleep... ugh). But before then they treated everyone to a nice catered Lunch on the top of the Pegasus hotel. As the same crew walked toward the gate past us, we gave them a standing ovation since we knew, quite possibly, this would be the flight that gets off the ground.

I was stuck in Kingston for over a day with one cancellation. Just one. I must have had an aggregate of 10 hours worth of delays. To avoid having to cancel flights en mass before yesterday, they dragged the departure times for my flights. That was unacceptable. However, the Jetblue staff tried their best to help everyone, even though at first things seemed a little disorganized at times. That's why I won't count out JetBlue just yet as their staff is the airline's saving grace. But they have to do something about their operations during disruptions. I went through that nonsense in 07 and it wasn't fun.

Could it have been an airport curfew instead? BTW in 2007 I saw that the 15 inches of snow was coming and decided to be aggressive and booked another flight (on AirTran) the day before the storm and avoided all the cr*p. NY airports always screwed up even during the sunny days. Since I travel with a child, I would have changed flights once it gets to 9 pm (assuming there was another flight to change to). The problem is you have people complaining about when they cancel flights too early so this is a no win situation. Glad you got home ok and they paid for the hotel (and lunch).

RickStevesWannabe Jan 8, 2014 6:53 am

Originally Posted by bmg42000 (Post 22109883)
Could it have been an airport curfew instead? BTW in 2007 I saw that the 15 inches of snow was coming and decided to be aggressive and booked another flight (on AirTran) the day before the storm and avoided all the cr*p. NY airports always screwed up even during the sunny days. Since I travel with a child, I would have changed flights once it gets to 9 pm (assuming there was another flight to change to). The problem is you have people complaining about when they cancel flights too early so this is a no win situation. Glad you got home ok and they paid for the hotel (and lunch).

Not an airport curfew, this was a crew curfew. Federal regs dictate that they couldn't work anymore after they timed out so they had to take a required 10 hours rest. That's what the Capt himself told us. I'm pretty sure it was out of the pilots hands since we left the gate and was heading to the runway. He was annoyed too. Honestly, I wouldn't want to fly in a plane with an overworked pilot anyway. It was nice that they paid for hotel and lunch... I just wish they did all of that sooner so I could've gotten more than 1 hour of sleep ^

That was a smart thing to do in 07. You couldve been one of those stuck on the tarmac for 10+ hours!

bmg42000 Jan 8, 2014 7:02 am

stuck in plane

Originally Posted by RickStevesWannabe (Post 22109917)
Not an airport curfew, this was a crew curfew. Federal regs dictate that they couldn't work anymore after they timed out so they had to take a required 10 hours rest. That's what the Capt himself told us. I'm pretty sure it was out of the pilots hands since we left the gate and was heading to the runway. He was annoyed too. Honestly, I wouldn't want to fly in a plane with an overworked pilot anyway. It was nice that they paid for hotel and lunch... I just wish they did all of that sooner so I could've gotten more than 1 hour of sleep ^

That was a smart thing to do in 07. You couldve been one of those stuck on the tarmac for 10+ hours!

Then again Southwest had passengers stuck in planes for 3+ hours at Midway.

sbm12 Jan 8, 2014 7:23 am

Originally Posted by RickStevesWannabe (Post 22109858)
But I suppose they can't afford to give the standard compensation to everyone.

Standard comp is $0 as the delays were weather related. This is more than that.

Originally Posted by RickStevesWannabe (Post 22109917)
...I just wish they did all of that sooner so I could've gotten more than 1 hour of sleep ^

Sounds like they just missed the cutoff. Had they done the other bits faster then they might not have missed. Sucks, but that's the way the rules work and I wouldn't want to be crossing the FAA.

jkburns1 Jan 8, 2014 8:03 am

SBM12 and bmg42000 no disrespect and sorry to go off topic a bit here but just curious - are you two jet blue employees?

Most every thread that has any criticism of your beloved blue has you two rushing to the defense of nearly EVERY single thing anyone says about their handling of the last week. Which the majority of us who fly regularly I know find to have been handled atrociously.

It's one thing to wear rose colored glasses and be a subjective fan but when you can only find silver linings and positive in every single move an airline makes no matter what the criticism is it makes me wonder if perhaps you are on their payroll?

If not employees it makes me wonder what it is they've done for you that has bestowed such loyalty to them. I do 140-150 segments a year and have for numerous years and of all the services I deal with in day to day life the airline industry by far is the worst of them all. I fly many different airlines including JetBlue (although watching this meltdown from sidelines this week despite fortunately not flying them I doubt I will again) and I can't think of anything any airline here in the US has done that could ever get me to defend them with the enthusiasm and excitement you both do.

NYFlyer1984 Jan 8, 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by jkburns1 (Post 22110288)
SBM12 and bmg42000 no disrespect and sorry to go off topic a bit here but just curious - are you two jet blue employees?

Most every thread that has any criticism of your beloved blue has you two rushing to the defense of nearly EVERY single thing anyone says about their handling of the last week. Which the majority of us who fly regularly I know find to have been handled atrociously.

It's one thing to wear rose colored glasses and be a subjective fan but when you can only find silver linings and positive in every single move an airline makes no matter what the criticism is it makes me wonder if perhaps you are on their payroll?

If not employees it makes me wonder what it is they've done for you that has bestowed such loyalty to them.

One of them could be a writer who gets access to B6 people, products and announcements

While I am sure they are neutral and it is not a 'pay for play' it does help to know who is close to who!

bmg42000 Jan 8, 2014 8:40 am

I am not an employee

If not employees it makes me wonder what it is they've done for you that has bestowed such loyalty to them. I do 140-150 segments a year and have for numerous years and of all the services I deal with in day to day life the airline industry by far is the worst of them all. I fly many different airlines including JetBlue (although watching this meltdown from sidelines this week despite fortunately not flying them I doubt I will again) and I can't think of anything any airline here in the US has done that could ever get me to defend them with the enthusiasm and excitement you both do.

I am not an employee and have no inside information. There are B6 employees on this thread (and they have been quiet this week) but I am not one of them. I have benefited from their policies (such as the crediting when the price has gone down), and the family pooling of points has saved me hundreds of dollars through the years (even a 10$ fare decrease adds up), and the family pooling will allow me to get 1 more free trip a year . I do admit to having met sbm12 twice . If I needed to travel 3 times a week for business I suspect I would be using DL (given UA's troubles and AA/US merger) but I am a leisure traveler who benefits by these policies. (Of course I will be just be booking an AA F award so I do not fly B6 always).

Brigri Jan 8, 2014 8:51 am

Why does it matter?