Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Expiration of travel bank credit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

I am not a frequent flyer with JetBlue so I am not familiar with their policies regarding travel bank credit. So I hope someone can help me here:

Last year I had to cancel a booking and received travel bank credit for that. This credit will expire soon. As we are currently planning a trip, I want to use the credit for a flight in January.

However I could not find any information on what happens if I have to cancel/change a flight paid by travel bank credit? Will I receive another travel bank credit valid for a year or will the money be gone?

Thanks for your insights in this!
Old Aug 11, 2013, 2:25 am

From Jetblue:

"If you receive a refund on a flight that was originally paid for with Travel Bank funds (for full or partial payment), the expiration date for these funds will revert back to the original expiration date of the credits that were used to purchase the flight."

Also, you will have to pay another change fee unless you booked a refundable fare. This will reduce the amount that is re-deposited even if you cancel before the expiry date. It may bring it to $0.

As you've realized, you can book a flight as far in advance as you like using the credit, as long as the booking is made before the expiry date. However, if you cancel the new booking, the credit reverts back to the previous terms (think of it like the booking had never taken place). So if you cancel the new flight after the original credit booking expiry date, you will lose the entire credit, no matter what.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by patiolanterns
From Jetblue:

"If you receive a refund on a flight that was originally paid for with Travel Bank funds (for full or partial payment), the expiration date for these funds will revert back to the original expiration date of the credits that were used to purchase the flight."

Also, you will have to pay another change fee unless you booked a refundable fare. This will reduce the amount that is re-deposited even if you cancel before the expiry date. It may bring it to $0.

As you've realized, you can book a flight as far in advance as you like using the credit, as long as the booking is made before the expiry date. However, if you cancel the new booking, the credit reverts back to the previous terms (think of it like the booking had never taken place). So if you cancel the new flight after the original credit booking expiry date, you will lose the entire credit, no matter what.
Thank you, patiolanterns, really appreciate your answer! Somehow I must have missed this question in jetblue's FAQs.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
If a flight is booked with credits that have already expired, will I be able to make changes to the reservation? Or will be this be treated as cancelling, thus forfeiting the credit? TIA
Old Nov 6, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by frudd38
If a flight is booked with credits that have already expired, will I be able to make changes to the reservation? Or will be this be treated as cancelling, thus forfeiting the credit? TIA
I think changes should be okay (ie. paying the change fee). Cancelling the flight will forfeit the credit, as it would go back to your travelbank with the original expiration date. B6 phone customer service is pretty good, so ring them up to know for sure

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.