Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue Kicks Us Off Flight: Any Recourse?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue Kicks Us Off Flight: Any Recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:24 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Originally Posted by techman01
private businesses have the right to refuse to service to anyone they want as long as it's not discrimination.
A Common Carrier has to have a valid reason to refuse service.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:11 am

Programs: TrueBlue
So the wife says "you will address me as 'doctor'"...

I'm sorry, but that's pompous. IMO, the FA showed very good professional restraint. But the comment from the husband was the one that caught my eye: And in his estimation "This was not a situation in danger of escalation; we were sitting quietly in our seats and had no intention of further dealings with the attendant," he wrote.

A nickel's worth of free advice to the husband: It's not YOUR estimation that counts. It's the captain's that makes all the difference in the world.

This is a far cry form the original post:
she chose to holler at my wife for carrying what she thought was a big roll-on. We corrected her, told her she had a bad attitude and that we weren't the problem passengers of the night, and when she approached us after we were seated and minding our own business my wife told her she didn't want to speak to her without an apology.
In a way, I kind of sympathize with the husband but not for the reasons you might think I used to have to deal with a now-ex-wife who thought the world had to serve her and woe be to those who didn't meet up to her expectations. I can't count the number of times I had to apologize for her behavior and I'm very glad I no longer have that job.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:45 pm

seems OP's wife has a few bad reviews for being a rude doctor on vitals.com. better shut this thread down....its going to get ugly.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:53 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Moral Of This Story...

1. Never fly Jet Blue.
2. Always fly first class
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:11 am

So the FA tells your wife (based on your total post, I'm skeptical that she "hollered" at her; more likely she was trying to talk over the general noise) that her bag looks like it's too big. In return, you and your wife insult her and attack her judgement. Please note that you were the ones who brought up "problem passengers," not her. Shortly thereafter, your wife stops the FA in the middle of the cabin check to essentially say "I want an apology for my own personal offensive behavior, and until I get it, I'm going to ignore you, the person who is responsible for in-flight safety." The fact that you're both over 60 is irrelevant. You may think you're not security threats, but you were aggressively rude to someone who was just trying to do her job. Can't really blame them for deciding not to take the risk that you'd escalate things in the air--you were already escalating on the ground.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
Originally Posted by JackInThePlane
seems OP's wife has a few bad reviews for being a rude doctor on vitals.com. better shut this thread down....its going to get ugly.
Doesn't surprise me, I'm a pharmacy technician (actually I'm a Certified Pharmacy Tech, so all you people should give me some respect and address me as Jerseyguy, CPhT) at a hospital and those doctors that say statements like that are generally the jerks who treat their patients and coworkers with disrespect.
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
This is ironic, it seems that according to vitals.com Dr. Barbara Botine (the OP's wife) specializes in "advice to travelers" LOL
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:21 am

Tetris

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
I was a whiz at Tetris growing up and found a way to fit a square peg in a round hole. )
Amen. Very thoughtful post.
I read your entire post - and really smiled at the "Tetris" part.
You sound like you'd be fun to fly with -- & fun to work with.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by MiamiPrep
Amen. Very thoughtful post.
I read your entire post - and really smiled at the "Tetris" part.
You sound like you'd be fun to fly with -- & fun to work with.
Agree with all of this and also loved the part about Tetris. Maybe that should be a qualification for the job?

To me, this entire incident symbolizes the difference between "what should happen" and "what does happen." For the sake of my comments, I will take the OP's comments and the Trib's article at face value.

Clearly, both parties share blame in the incident. The wife was apparently looking for a confrontation and got one. The FA should have known enough to "depressurize" the situation. No one looks particularly good here.

Ultimately, my belief is that the airline (through its employees) is at fault in this case. Based on what I've read, the passenger was obnoxious and a clear DYKWIA, but not a threat to the safety of the flight. The passenger put out the bait and, unfortunately, the FA took it.

So what should happen? Either another FA or the captain should talk to the passengers? And if that further escalates the situation, take it from there.

And what does happen? Sometimes, the flight crew takes it as an opportunity to get rid of someone that annoyed them, without ramifications. And please note the use of the word "sometimes." Almost all of the FAs I interact with are a pleasure.

Mike
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:03 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
1. Never fly Jet Blue.
2. Always fly first class
What an insightful contribution to the subject being discussed. Please, tell us more

Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by copyace
Any suggestions what to do now that we're back home? Is there a better way to contact JetBlue than the web customer service form?
Small Claims Court will at least get their attention. Possibly depending on your state, it will cost them more just to show up than your Delta ticket cost (especially if the two of you file separate suits for the two tickets you had to buy, on different dates).
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:30 am

Another reason to check your bags!

I'm sorry they were booted from the plane. The FA and Captain are in CONTROL, regardless of your "status" of doctor. Booting them was probably the quickest solution to the problem.

Jet Blue doesn't even charge to check your bag!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by ontheway
SOunds like you did not handle this well. I would think at your age you would know better unless you have never flown before. And refusing to speak to her without an apology might be considered a safety issue under dire circumstances. Sorry to say no sympathy from me.
I brought up three children and told every one of them : if a police officer stops you for any reason...answer "yes sir", no matter what. Sometimes it's not wise to argue for any reason.
I agree. You just cannot take things personally when told what the rules are upon boarding . It was demanding an apology that got you removed. I would not of wanted you on my plane either.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
You told a FLIGHT ATTENDANT she had a bad attitude? What? Have you never flown before? I really am laughing over this story. There are certain rules when one flies, and saying Yes Maam to a FA is one of them. You may be allowed a nice glare occasionally, but really, keep your head down, it's her airplane.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Please ignore the previous post, my laptop sent it before I was finished ... You told a FLIGHT ATTENDANT she had a bad attitude? What? Have you never flown before? I really am laughing over this story. There are certain rules when one flies, and saying Yes Maam to a FA is one of them. You may be allowed a nice glare occasionally, but really, keep your head down, it's her airplane. And for the record, I enjoy 99% of the FAs I meet, maybe that's why peoples' stories are so interesting, I just can't imagine things happening the way they're written up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.