Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
It is official: http://www.jetblue.com/travel/precheck/.

Valid at 22 airports an ONLY if you use a mobile BP via the app. That excludes me, sadly.
This makes no sense whatsoever. The line in BOS clearly accepts paper boarding passes since I've never had an issue with a paper UA BP. Has Jetblue been unable to generate paper boarding passes to fit the Precheck program?

Although if this mandate came down from the TSA to go paperless that's another cause for alarm as I always keep a paper boarding pass back-up just in case and prefer not to pull my phone out at the checkpoint.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lurker1999
Has Jetblue been unable to generate paper boarding passes to fit the Precheck program?
Reading between the lines this is the impression I get.

The bar codes on the paper BPs don't have the same data format IIRC. I guess changing them to match the format needed for Pre is taking too long so they're pushing out this half now. Better than nothing, I suppose.

The press release says they're working on paper BPs and expect to have that done my the end of Q1 '14.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC, A3 Blue (*A Silver), HHonors Gold
From the FAQs on the B6 website:
« Please note: EWR, LGA, FLL, SFO and SJU will require you to remove your 3-1-1 liquids and your laptop from your bag. »

Just curious: does anyone know why this is?
I don't really care necessarily, but I'd like to know anyway.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
This makes no sense whatsoever. The line in BOS clearly accepts paper boarding passes since I've never had an issue with a paper UA BP. Has Jetblue been unable to generate paper boarding passes to fit the Precheck program?

Although if this mandate came down from the TSA to go paperless that's another cause for alarm as I always keep a paper boarding pass back-up just in case and prefer not to pull my phone out at the checkpoint.
I don't think the TSA is mandating to go paperless. They are happy to scan the United BP to see if you clear. Looks like JetBlue is not able to get their paper boarding passes encoded for TSA. Well, at least for now. I'm sure their IT will figure this out eventually.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:28 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Philosofaux
From the FAQs on the B6 website:
« Please note: EWR, LGA, FLL, SFO and SJU will require you to remove your 3-1-1 liquids and your laptop from your bag. »

Just curious: does anyone know why this is?
I don't really care necessarily, but I'd like to know anyway.
Apparently the checkpoints B6 uses at these airports aren't yet set up for "full" PreCheck, so they seem to be operating some sort of a hybrid. This doesn't actually make any logical sense to me-- if the TSA is already doing a hybrid set-up, how hard could it be to open a full PreCheck lane?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
Obviously, their IT system can't easily adapt. Pushing out a partial solution, using mobile devices, many of which have signal problems in terminals, simply alienates customers. In my case, while I have a PASSID from Global Entry, I use a non i-Phone/Android device, so I'm screwed. The other day, at EWR, I watched as a guy's phone crapped out, just as he was about to enter Security. Quite a hassle. Sorry B6, but this one is amateur time. I can hardly wait to see how they handle the forthcoming transcon, Premium cabin rollout.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by dw
Apparently the checkpoints B6 uses at these airports aren't yet set up for "full" PreCheck, so they seem to be operating some sort of a hybrid. This doesn't actually make any logical sense to me-- if the TSA is already doing a hybrid set-up, how hard could it be to open a full PreCheck lane?
It's either staffing or space issues. By doing the hybrid your bags can still go through the normal X-ray process and the agent doesn't need to worry about if you are pre check or not. They simply wave you through the WTMD instead of the body scanner if you have a precheck boarding pass.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
It was easy to add my Pass ID to my existing reservation but i cant figure out where to add it to my profile.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
It was easy to add my Pass ID to my existing reservation but i cant figure out where to add it to my profile.
Because you cannot do so.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat
I was invited to join PreCheck as an AA Platinum member several years ago, and have enjoyed this benefit many times while flying AA. Does my enrollment in PreCheck thru AA cross over to any B6 reservations I make now that B6 has joined the program, or is it only AA specific? Can't find this issue addressed on either the TSA or B6 websites.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by deelmakur
Pushing out a partial solution, using mobile devices, many of which have signal problems in terminals, simply alienates customers. In my case, while I have a PASSID from Global Entry, I use a non i-Phone/Android device, so I'm screwed.
OTOH, I use e-boarding passes all the time, and now that Pre-√ is an option with B6 I'll consider flying them again. I'd rather have a first step roll out now with additional options later rather than wait another several months for everything to come on line at once.

I've never had a signal problem with my Android device in any terminal, and while I'm all in favor of using non-dominate devices, the vast majority of travelers have iPhone or Android devices (even when forced to use BB for work, say). Nothing personal, but you're an edge case here.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
Because you cannot do so.
I just saw the word on their facebook page. Oh well i don't have many plans to fly B6 so reservation by reservation entry is not a too big of a deal. I still need to add middle name to my True Blue account so i don't accidentally make any bookings without the middle name field filled in.

Originally Posted by deelmakur
Obviously, their IT system can't easily adapt. Pushing out a partial solution, using mobile devices, many of which have signal problems in terminals, simply alienates customers.
The all or nothing route would alienate even more people. I mean B6 is the last domestic non LCC to join the pre bandwagon. I'm not familiar with the Jetblue app but with the airlines apps i deal with the most, AS & UA, once you download the BP you don't need a data connection to pull it up again.

Last edited by CDKing; Nov 21, 2013 at 7:05 pm
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by louispup
I was invited to join PreCheck as an AA Platinum member several years ago, and have enjoyed this benefit many times while flying AA. Does my enrollment in PreCheck thru AA cross over to any B6 reservations I make now that B6 has joined the program, or is it only AA specific? Can't find this issue addressed on either the TSA or B6 websites.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

If history holds (and, honestly with this situation that's not particularly certain) the answer is maybe. There is some precedence with UA and US and elites who were invited getting PreCheck via that when flying on the other carrier but using their elite/home carrier FF#. That said, JetBlue does not appear to be tying the PreCheck to Mosaic or anything else related to TrueBlue so it is not clear whether the data will be transmitted to the TSA or not as part of the process to determine if you get Pre or not.

So I'd say definitely not guaranteed but at least there's a bit of hope.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
I still need to add middle name to my True Blue account so i don't accidentally make any bookings without the middle name field filled in.
I had forgotten about that part. And you cannot edit it online. I guess I'll find out on Monday (or Sunday night) how well it works without a middle name in the reservation and my Trusted Traveler number in there as well.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 7:40 pm

Programs: NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by louispup
The only way Precheck transcends carriers is through the use of a Trusted Traveler number (Global Entry, NEXUS or Sentri). Your Precheck eligibility through AA is only good on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.