Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Rumored changes to jetBlue elite program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP

Just a bit of rumoring to start your saturday...

In september jetBlue is launching a new tier to the status program, and the bar is apparently pretty low. My impression was in the 30 flight range, and it didn't sound like segments.

The big perks are 9 points per dollar instead of 6, and EMS, both for TSA and early boarding. EML was not a perk.

However, EML seats will soon be bookable on points, rather than only dollars on award flights.

And perhaps best of all, when United vacates terminal C in boston in 2013, jetBlue will be operating their first lounge out of the old location.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Sounds good to me

Originally Posted by cleanfloor

In september jetBlue is launching a new tier to the status program, and the bar is apparently pretty low. My impression was in the 30 flight range, and it didn't sound like segments.

The big perks are 9 points per dollar instead of 6, and EMS, both for TSA and early boarding. EML was not a perk.

However, EML seats will soon be bookable on points, rather than only dollars on award flights.

And perhaps best of all, when United vacates terminal C in boston in 2013, jetBlue will be operating their first lounge out of the old location.
I hope this is true as it sounds good to me . Having EML seats bookable on points would be nice . I don't know if they will have a lounge in BOS.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cleanfloor

All sounds believable to me. I don't see them giving EML seats for free, when they actually generate positive cash flow for the airline. The earlier rumor about B6 offering an annual EML pass sounds far more likely to me.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 2:28 am

Sounds great. Too bad I booked a redemption flight already, would love to be able to start building towards that new tier ASAP.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:37 am

I can't even imagine how a lounge would work with JetBlue- especially in places like BOS and JFK where they pretty much run the terminal anyhow- and are such a 'classless' airline that the lounge itself wouldn't be so different from the modern terminals anyhow.

Still, at one point I can see that happening- since the cost to operate isn't that incredible and the space has to be there.

As far as the EMS perk. This I have a huge question about- again, in places like JFK where JetBlue operates its own terminal, I can see how an EMS through TSA makes sense because it's one customer paying a premium over another.

In shared terminals though- I don't see how they can get away with this, displacing other customers because some passengers fly, slightly more often, at reduced fares than others. While we know priority screening is kind of a shifty -unenforceable- practice- how are they able to draw the line for this while still selling coach seats?

This isn't 100% jetblue specific, but any airline that offers a chance at priority lanes. Do they pay in to this?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grt2106
I can't even imagine how a lounge would work with JetBlue- especially in places like BOS and JFK where they pretty much run the terminal anyhow- and are such a 'classless' airline that the lounge itself wouldn't be so different from the modern terminals anyhow.
There are lots of airports where AA occupies an entire terminal yet there are premium lounges. They're a great place to get away from the crowds at the gates and relax or work. Presumably, B6 could offer access to the lounge for a fee, like most airlines in the USA.

This isn't 100% jetblue specific, but any airline that offers a chance at priority lanes. Do they pay in to this?
In the USA, airlines pay all the costs of the line-minders that control access to the priority security lanes. Everyone up until you get to the TSA license/passport/ID checker.

For a while, the TSA was antagonistic toward the priority lines, and proposed doing away with them, but the airlines reminded the TSA that the airlines pay the rent on the terminal floor space all the way up to the TSA document checker and the airlines paid the wages of the line minders, so controlling the lines up to the document checkers was going to be done however the airlines saw fit, including separate lines for First/Business class or Elite frequent fliers.

The airlines held fast and convinced the TSA that controlling the waiting lines to enter the checkpoint was the business of the airlines and screening the passengers once they waited in the airline-controlled lines was the business of the TSA. And the former wasn't any business of the TSA.

More recently, however, the TSA has begun to buy into the idea of priority lines - and has even set up completely separate checkpoints (with airline assistance) for Priority lanes, like for AA at LAX, where First/Business class/Elite frequent flyers now have their own separate lines and checkpoint. One unintended consequence (or perhaps intended) is that it makes it tougher for the paparazzi to harass the celebs.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 4:57 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Two and a half years late will be better than nothing.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:48 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Just released to crewmembers today

TrueBlue Mosaic reflects the way our airline has always treated Customers, and will grow our relationships as JetBlue evolves over time. It’s an innovative way of bringing together meaningful benefits to form a better way to fly. While other airlines categorize their Customers, we’ve always steered clear of items that feel elitist or exclusive, and this strategy has helped carve our name in the industry.

TrueBlue Mosaic—named for one of our iconic tailfins—identifies with this value, and will provide our most frequent travelers with useful, solid benefits that will make them feel special. In order to be earn the TrueBlue Mosaic badge, Customers must qualify one of two ways:
•Fly a minimum of 30 times with JetBlue. They must also acquire at least 12,000 base flight points within a calendar year
•Rack up 15,000 base flight points (the equivalent of spending $5,000) within a calendar year.

The Customer benefits

Here are the benefits TrueBlue members will receive once they qualify:
•100% bonus on base flight points. This translates to an additional three points per dollar spent on flights.
•Free Even More™ Speed
•Early boarding (even for travel companions!)
•Access to a dedicated Customer Service line available 24/7
•A second bag checked free
•Ability to use TrueBlue points to purchase an Even More™ Space seats
•Six Even More™ Space seat upgrades

We identified these benefits to show our appreciation of our Customers’ loyalty, and provide an even better travel experience. When it comes to bringing humanity back to air travel, think of TrueBlue Mosaic as a new way of saying ‘thank you’ to those who fly us often—JetBlue style. Stay tuned for more information on how we’ll put this new tier into action this fall!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
Just released to crewmembers today
Very nice. This sounds like a big addition. I've earned about 18,000 "Go Big" qualifying points this year; will these qualify me starting now/soon, will this only apply going forward?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by JCK75
Very nice. This sounds like a big addition. I've earned about 18,000 "Go Big" qualifying points this year; will these qualify me starting now/soon, will this only apply going forward?
Transition issues are always tricky. They will bear watching. JetBlue's loyalty staff has always impressed me as the brainiest of all airlines. I expect that they have thought of everything, including pre-qualifying customers who have met the eligibility requirements retrospectively.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Transition issues are always tricky. They will bear watching. JetBlue's loyalty staff has always impressed me as the brainiest of all airlines. I expect that they have thought of everything, including pre-qualifying customers who have met the eligibility requirements retrospectively.
I hope so. I was fairly disappointed with the change to the January start date, as I lost a decent number of potential point due to the transition.

My questions are these now: How long status lasts and how frequently you get the six EMS seats?

I am also concerned about the priority boarding. Now you have about 30% of the plane boarding first with the EMS seats. What percent are going to be boarding as "Mosaic" members combined with EMS seats, 50%, 60%? This quickly turns the priority boarding into a zoo scene, as has already happened on most of legacy airlines, where everyone is considered "priority" now. If everyone is priority, then no one is really priority.

JetBlue boarding right now relatively is calm and stress free, which I hope does not change...
Old Jul 16, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Enterprise Plus
I dont think 20-30% of the passengers on the flight will be mosiac members and also not in EMS seats. maybe 10% depending on destination.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
So if I read the new perks correctly, this means that Mosaic members will get 6 base points on every flight (if booked through travel agent, 3rd party or 800-jetblue) and the same 3 point bonus, but only if booked through jetblue.com--for the potential of 9 points per dollar?

I have to say that this is a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong, I think a 50% point bonus is great...but my guess is that a high percentage of the customers who will qualify for Mosaic (myself included) are required to book through corporate travel agents and I was REALLY hoping that JetBlue would offer its most loyal customers the same bonus points (in this case 9 points) regardless of whether the ticket was booked on jetblue.com or through a travel agent. I understand there is a slight increase in cost to JetBlue from tickets booked through travel agents, but I would think they'd swallow the difference for their most valuable customers.

Assuming I'm reading the news release correctly, JetBlue will treat it's most loyal (and profitable) business customers--who are forced to book through travel agents--with the exact same 6 points per dollar that customers on lower fare personal tickets get (if booked through jetblue.com)? I really hope they rethink this before launching this fall!! No other airline restricts elite bonuses to only tickets booked through their website--and JetBlue is way better than any legacy carrier. C'mon B6, don't let us down!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by moulder3
So if I read the new perks correctly, this means that Mosaic members will get 6 base points on every flight (if booked through travel agent, 3rd party or 800-jetblue) and the same 3 point bonus, but only if booked through jetblue.com--for the potential of 9 points per dollar?

I have to say that this is a bit of a letdown. Don't get me wrong, I think a 50% point bonus is great...but my guess is that a high percentage of the customers who will qualify for Mosaic (myself included) are required to book through corporate travel agents and I was REALLY hoping that JetBlue would offer its most loyal customers the same bonus points (in this case 9 points) regardless of whether the ticket was booked on jetblue.com or through a travel agent. I understand there is a slight increase in cost to JetBlue from tickets booked through travel agents, but I would think they'd swallow the difference for their most valuable customers.

Assuming I'm reading the news release correctly, JetBlue will treat it's most loyal (and profitable) business customers--who are forced to book through travel agents--with the exact same 6 points per dollar that customers on lower fare personal tickets get (if booked through jetblue.com)? I really hope they rethink this before launching this fall!! No other airline restricts elite bonuses to only tickets booked through their website--and JetBlue is way better than any legacy carrier. C'mon B6, don't let us down!
If your employer is forced to book through a certain system, and ends up using a certain airline- I don't see B6 to really need or want to make an exception. They're getting your money anyway.

Think of it this way, you're now getting 6 pts vs 3pts... a 100% increase!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
If your employer is forced to book through a certain system, and ends up using a certain airline- I don't see B6 to really need or want to make an exception. They're getting your money anyway.
Sorry, I should have clarified... While I am forced to book via a travel agent, I can choose any airline & flight cost. My point is simply that no other major airline restricts points to only bookings from their own website. If the announcement above is true, it's a questionable way to 'reward' your most valuable customers, seeing as much less valuable (and less loyal) customers can also get 6 points per dollar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.