Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

jetblue or united for redeye flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:41 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Miles&Smlies, Jet Blue, Platinum medallion, Marriott Gold

I'm trying to decide on my red eye flight for sunday, LAX-BOS.
On the United flight, I will most likely be premium economy (economy plus, what ever they call it) since I'm *Gold. don't have status with Jet blue. not sure which seat will give me the most comfortable sleep. I tend to fall sleep easily. but which would have better pitch, better leg room , wider seat.

Which flight would you choose?
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
Originally Posted by fadynaime
I'm trying to decide on my red eye flight for sunday, LAX-BOS.
On the United flight, I will most likely be premium economy (economy plus, what ever they call it) since I'm *Gold. don't have status with Jet blue. not sure which seat will give me the most comfortable sleep. I tend to fall sleep easily. but which would have better pitch, better leg room , wider seat.

Which flight would you choose?
From a cost perspective: if the plane tickets are the same price I would go with United since you will have the extra pitch. JetBlue charges extra for these seats. If the price is slightly lower on JetBlue it's a draw.

From an entertainment perspective: It doesn't sound like this will matter, but if you want guaranteed control of a TV you will want to go with JetBlue.

For additional consideration: United has many, many plane configurations. You will want to check to see what actual plane type you will be taking and compare it on seatguru.com. I'd hate to end up on a CRJ - though on a red-eye I would expect little chance of this. Also, JetBlue has (or at least used to have) kits for red eye flights complete with blinders. If you forget your blinders there is zero chance you find any on United.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 11:57 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

thank you for the information. According to seatguru, they have 4 configurations of the 757-200. 1 of them uses overhead tvs. On the way there I don't think i care for entertainment unless i can't sleep. Price isn't a problem, I'm looking for the most comfort so I can get to BOS and actually go to work monday morning.

It might be a good thing to try Jet Blue on my return flight I guess. I should look at Jet blue status, see how long it takes me to reach free upgrades to more leg room. I will be doing the LAX-BOS and back for the next 4 weeks at least. so I might be able to have status quickly.

Again thank you for the info.

Last edited by fnaime23; Jul 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm
Old Jul 3, 2012, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just being *G doesn't get you United EconomyPlus for free. You have to be a UA elite to get that. And the JetBlue 34" pitch that you'll have without paying for EMS is pretty darn spacious and comparable to the UA E+ on their p.s. 752s. Also, JetBlue doesn't currently have a status program and there aren't free EMS upgrades out there, but the space on the A320s is better anyways so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you fly a decent number of higher fare routes then the TrueBlue program can be reasonably rewarding. If you're only ever flying the cheapest fares it can be harder to stretch it into great awards.

If you're on a Boeing plane with United then the JetBlue seat will also be slightly wider.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by nebraskaboy
Also, JetBlue has (or at least used to have) kits for red eye flights complete with blinders. If you forget your blinders there is zero chance you find any on United.
JetBlue had these on the last red eye I took into Boston. They also passed out hot towelettes when we were getting ready to land.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by jj1987
JetBlue had these on the last red eye I took into Boston. They also passed out hot towelettes when we were getting ready to land.
+1. Blinders and earplugs on a red-eye from SJC to BOS just a few weeks ago.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:04 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

well I finally convinenced myself that this might be worth it. I will be taking the direct flight from BOS-LGB at 5pm and then the redeye on sunday LGB-BOS.

I will give it a try see how i like it, maybe i can sleep on those seats what ever the recline angle is.

FWIW i can fall sleep on United ECO and Premium ECO easily. lol but only an hour or so at a time.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 6:06 pm
fadynaime
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
Just being *G doesn't get you United EconomyPlus for free. You have to be a UA elite to get that. And the JetBlue 34" pitch that you'll have without paying for EMS is pretty darn spacious and comparable to the UA E+ on their p.s. 752s. Also, JetBlue doesn't currently have a status program and there aren't free EMS upgrades out there, but the space on the A320s is better anyways so I wouldn't worry about that.

If you fly a decent number of higher fare routes then the TrueBlue program can be reasonably rewarding. If you're only ever flying the cheapest fares it can be harder to stretch it into great awards.

If you're on a Boeing plane with United then the JetBlue seat will also be slightly wider.
not sure what to say man, 5/6 my segments on united have been on eco+ and 4/4 on us air have been on their eco+
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fadynaime
not sure what to say man, 5/6 my segments on united have been on eco+ and 4/4 on us air have been on their eco+
US doesn't have anything which resembles an E+ product. They have "Choice" seats but the only thing special about them is that they are towards the front of the plane in an aisle or window. As for UA, I had luck over the years getting E+ for free as a *G but almost never in advance and it is getting harder and harder. If you're consistently lucky that's great but the policy is what it is.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
How was your flight? i have the same question. As a 1k with United I will get E+ and possibly an upgrade, but so sick of their awful performance I am thinking jetblue sfo-bos....
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:54 am
fadynaime
Original Poster

JetBlue was great. In my case I avoided lax (where united might have had a direct flight). Having a direct flight was key to be able to get some sleep. So I think that JetBlue seats r like the E+ seats. They give u the shut eye kit, ear plugs and eye blinders, Those helped a lot. So if the united flight is direct And u can sleep, then stick to united and hope for the upgrade. Otherwise they r the same.
If u do fly JetBlue make sure u upgrade to the even more space seats for 60$ those r not always filled so u may have 1 or 2 seats next to u empty.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Platinum)
I used to love B6 for the redeye. My company would spring for extra legroom, which give you 38 inches - more than UA E+. You can sit near the front of the plane and deplane right away too. The sleeping kit they give you is much better than just the blanket on UA. Plus the leather seats are more comfy for sleeping in than the UA seats.

I switched to then CO because their FF was better and because EWR is more convenient for me than JFK, but if it were just the matter of the flight itself, it's B6, hands down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.