Old Apr 14, 2012, 7:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Jet Blue - Travel Advice

I need to fly from SXM to NYC on 15 May 2012 and I have the following options:

SXM 11.57 AM - JFK 4.21 PM - B6 - 217.55 $
  • Advantages: Early in NYC
  • Disadvantages: Early departure from SXM, no lounge access, no chance of an upgrade

SXM 3.50 PM - 4.47 PM - B6 - 110.85 $
SJU 6.25 PM - 10.36 PM - DL - 198.70 $
  • Advantages: DL: lounge access, DL: free upgrade to Eco+ (status), DL: more time in SXM (I value time in SXM more than in NYC)
  • Disadvantage: is there enough time to change planes in SJU (in other words: is Jet Blue a punctual airline or is there a big risk of a significant delay from SXM to SJU)? no time in NYC (but, on the other hand, would arrival at 4.21 PM make a difference?)

To be honest, I have no clue about Jet Blue. On the website it says that baggage is free of charge.

Is there anything one needs to know about Jet Blue (extra fees, free food etc)? Would you use the first or the second optiion if money does not matter?

Last edited by TallestHotelInJapan; Apr 14, 2012 at 8:14 pm
Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't recall any lounge in SXM, and there definitely isn't one in SJU. And even if there were so not worth it.

I wouldn't pay the $90 extra - and have separate tickets - just to get 4 more hours in SXM.

First bag (normal size/weight) is free on JetBlue. No other crazy fees or anything.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 1:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Hmmmm.... No crazy fees sounds good. No lounge in SJU doesn't sound so good.

Well, it makes the decission really difficult. Leaving SXM at 12 AM is what I hate most. That means I would have to leave my hotel early in the morning. I hate that and therefore, I tend to use the later flight.

The main question remains: Can I risk it to take the B6 and DL flights on separate tickets?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 3:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
The main question remains: Can I risk it to take the B6 and DL flights on separate tickets?
Sure, but it is a risk and you might miss it. Booked on separate tickets (which you have to do because they don't interline) you would be at a greater risk.

With checked bags no way I'd do it. B6 and DL don't interline bags. You almost certainly won't make the minimum check-in time for bags. Without it would pretty much depend on OLCI working for the DL flight as you're going to probably be inside the check-in time when you clear customs.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
ANYTHING with SJU can be late. You're on island time there, I would not risk it. JetBlue goes to great lengths to get everyone on board, on time, but the no rush culture there sometimes takes over. I haven't flown JFK-SJU, but I have flown MCO-SJU a few times and the boarding process can run behind even after it's started early. The good news is PRs are very friendly, so waiting isn't so bad, I think I've learned of places I wouldn't have known about without "local insight" every time I flew
Old Apr 16, 2012, 6:12 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Wouldn't the original routing with EMS seating be cheaper, quicker, and safer than the SJU routing?

Or am I missing something here?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:41 am

for 4 hours more the extra cost and hassle to connect with DL is not worth it. If you are checking bags you will have to pick them up in SJU and recheck with Delta. Also you would have to check out of your room by noon anyways. So I am not sure why checking out at 9 or 10 instead of noon is an issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.