B6 announces BOS-ACK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
B6 announces BOS-ACK

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/JetBlu...73909.html?x=0

Didn't see it the original thread. B6 will announces to start service BOS-ACK but, B6 does still seasonally service from JFK-ACK, too. This route will goes on effective May 17, 2012.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
At first, I read this as BOS-AKL.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFO777
At first, I read this as BOS-AKL.
No, actually, it is ACK and not AKL. This is where B6 will fly to small islands.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:18 pm

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
On the E-190?

I didn't think ACK could take anything larger than a Saab 340 or Beachcraft 1900.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This may be the first route B6 will have where they would be my preferred method of travel... however I haven't been to ACK in years and never got the impression the route was particularly good for Cape Air.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomwithanh
On the E-190?

I didn't think ACK could take anything larger than a Saab 340 or Beachcraft 1900.
Yes, it opreated E-190. I would be put on weight restricted.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:40 am

huh?

BOSACK is a goldmine for 9K in the summer. Have you seen the fares? Always over $300 roundtrip in the summer, and always full/ sold out. That's a good route, and that's why B6 is dipping its toes in the market for the peak summer period.

QUOTE=Ambraciot;18011180]This may be the first route B6 will have where they would be my preferred method of travel... however I haven't been to ACK in years and never got the impression the route was particularly good for Cape Air.[/QUOTE]
Old Feb 14, 2012, 8:41 am

no weight restriction needed

B6 has operated E-190s into ACK from JFK for years now. No weight restrictions. In the past, CO brought in MD-80s and 737s in the summer, and New York Air had DC-9s as well back in the '80s. no weight restriction.

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, it opreated E-190. I would be put on weight restricted.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 1:25 pm
Suspended

Why is B6 is going to compete with CapeAir on the BOS-ACK route if they already have a partnership? Why not code -and revenue share?

Originally Posted by jasondc
BOSACK is a goldmine for 9K in the summer. Have you seen the fares? Always over $300 roundtrip in the summer, and always full/ sold out. That's a good route, and that's why B6 is dipping its toes in the market for the peak summer period.
It's a goldmine because with capacity low, fares can be high. However, if B6 throws tons of capacity at it, fares and yields will come down.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:31 pm

B6 and ACK

well, to revenue share, they would need to get an anti trust agreement with Cape Air, which would require a lenghtly and expensive litigation and legal process that both B6 and 9K throw money at.

remember, the fact that they code share and are partners does not preclude them from doing things in their best interest. B6 feels that they'd rather take the revenue 100% for themselves at one time during the day during the high summer season, and believes there's enough demand out there so it wont be diluted.

Time will tell.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Why is B6 is going to compete with CapeAir on the BOS-ACK route if they already have a partnership? Why not code -and revenue share?

It's a goldmine because with capacity low, fares can be high. However, if B6 throws tons of capacity at it, fares and yields will come down.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
On the E-190?

ACK has had regular mainline flights over the years.

In the 1970's, DL flew DC-9's into ACK.
In the 80's, New York Air had DC-9's from BOS to both ACK and MVY.
In the 90's, CO flew 727's and 737's, and AA flew MD-80's into ACK.

Edited to add: didn't see the previous post which said the same thing!

Last edited by zrs70; Feb 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:39 am

This is super news for flyers and those of us that live on ACK, not so good news for Cape Air. This winter Jetblue started flying the same routes as Cape Air down in the Caribbean and it's impacting Cape Air big-time. In the past Jetblue used Cape Air as their ACK connection. Customers sometimes did the freak when they discovered they'd be on a 9-seater for the 45 min flight. It's interesting to see the reaction of customers when they're asked their weight at the check-in counter - some write the number down and slip the paper to the agent.
This new 100-seat BOS-ACK flight, although once a day -late afternoon/early evening- is a direct gift from above. My commuter book rate for ACK-BOS is $144 o/w. Ouch. Sometimes you don't want to take a 1 hr fast ferry then a 2 hr bus to BOS just to save $100 or so.
If you book by March 19th, I think, there's a $49 rate. Jetblue is only flying the 100-seater from May to approx Labor Day.
ACK airport can handle huge planes - in the summer it's amazing to see the planes here -private and not. And Jetblue already has summer JFK-ACK service.
A lot of people aren't comfortable flying BOS or PVD to ACK in a 9-seater puddle-jumper especially with the fog that rolls in and out. Boy, do I have stories of some of my flights...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.