Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Status/Elite tiers on Jetblue? will this ever come?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status/Elite tiers on Jetblue? will this ever come?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I think it unlikely.

Jet Blue has built their brand on an egalitarian trade.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Not quite. Legacy carriers play dirty tricks like: "sorry, the flight you booked does not early mileage because the fare basis code is not eligible."
Which carriers would you be referring to? Because Delta, Continental/United, American, USAirways, et al, offer full credit.

You can probably add Alaska, Southwest, and more to that list.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nerd
which carriers would you be referring to?
In case of DL Skymiles: AM, CZ, HA, SU, UX, VN
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case of DL Skymiles: AM, CZ, HA, SU, UX, VN
Ah, mileage earning on alliance partners. Luckily B6 doesn't have that problem, generally.

Anyway, back on topic. We were discussing how it's so much easier to understand point-earning rules on JetBlue... thoughts?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Ah, mileage earning on alliance partners. Luckily B6 doesn't have that problem, generally.
LOL

Yeah, I still hold out hope of B6 joining OW. Or at least sign a bigger deal with AA.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Edwardvan
I think it unlikely.

Jet Blue has built their brand on an egalitarian trade.
Nonetheless, it is coming.
That's easier to understand than, say, "Earn one point per mile flown."?
If that were the program with the legacies than I might buy the argument, but it isn't. For the legacies it is "earn one point per mile flown unless you fly 25K miles/year in which case you earn 1.25 on additional miles flown until you fly 50K/year at which point you earn 1.5 on additional miles flown unless you fly paid full-fare coach in which case you earn 1.5 RDMs and 1.25 EQMs per mile flown or paid business which might earn more if it is full-fare business or discount business but keeping track is just as hard."

None of them are easy to understand.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:47 pm

Yeah, I still hold out hope of B6 joining OW. Or at least sign a bigger deal with AA.
The partner with which they have the tightest FF partnership is also alliance-free. There is no indication that anything remotely close to membership in a global alliance is coming or even desired by the company. Besides, if you were running an unaffiliated airline today, would you get into be with oneworld? I would stay the hell away until they stabilized a LOT.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sbm12
The partner with which they have the tightest FF partnership is also alliance-free.
HA?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that were the program with the legacies than I might buy the argument, but it isn't. For the legacies it is "earn one point per mile flown unless you fly 25K miles/year in which case you earn 1.25 on additional miles flown until you fly 50K/year at which point you earn 1.5 on additional miles flown unless you fly paid full-fare coach in which case you earn 1.5 RDMs and 1.25 EQMs per mile flown or paid business which might earn more if it is full-fare business or discount business but keeping track is just as hard."
True, I did over-simplify. However, it's still possible to earn points at a constant rate throughout the year.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
True, I did over-simplify. However, it's still possible to earn points at a constant rate throughout the year.
It's also comparing miles per miles flown as opposed to miles per dollars spent. Looking at miles per spend, most credit cards offer 1 mile per $1 unless it's spent on gas or groceries or on the airline's website..., so you do stil have variation
Old Feb 19, 2012, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Since you can earn AA miles on many B6 routes, would you rather do that or earn Trueblue points?
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:57 pm

Since you can earn AA miles on many B6 routes, would you rather do that or earn Trueblue points?
The number of routes where you can earn AA points is very small, actually.

If you value both AA and B6 points at a penny per then the easy answer is that any flight more than $87 booked online is worth more credited to B6. IME the B6 points are actually worth more than that, somewhere around 1.3 cents on average, so that dollar figure drops a bit. Of course, if you increase your valuation of AA points then the price factor necessarily increases.

Then again, bifurcating your points decreases the value of them unless you really have a lot to play with.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
The number of routes where you can earn AA points is very small, actually.

If you value both AA and B6 points at a penny per then the easy answer is that any flight more than $87 booked online is worth more credited to B6. IME the B6 points are actually worth more than that, somewhere around 1.3 cents on average, so that dollar figure drops a bit. Of course, if you increase your valuation of AA points then the price factor necessarily increases.

Then again, bifurcating your points decreases the value of them unless you really have a lot to play with.
I did not understand anything after ">$87 is worth more credited to B6 than to AA"
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
I did not understand anything after ">$87 is worth more credited to B6 than to AA"
At 6 points per dollar you get 500 points for $83 spend (I was close) so if you spend more than that you get more points. If you consider the points the same value then spending more than that means more points accrued by crediting to B6 than to AA for a short flight. I'm also not so sure, based on the way the credit rule is written, if there is the 500 mile minimum, so for shorter flights I'm not even sure there is the 500 mile minimum. With 15 of the AA-creditable flights coming in at <500 miles that's a significant number of routes where the credit to AA really isn't so amazing.

If you value the B6 points higher then earning fewer of them relative to the number of miles flown still has more value. So if the B6 points are worth 1.3 cents and the AA points are 1 cent then 384 B6 points would be worth something like 500 AA points, and earning 384 B6 points costs less than earning 500 B6 points.

Does that make more sense?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Valuing points

At 6 points per dollar you get 500 points for $83 spend (I was close) so if you spend more than that you get more points. If you consider the points the same value then spending more than that means more points accrued by crediting to B6 than to AA for a short flight. I'm also not so sure, based on the way the credit rule is written, if there is the 500 mile minimum, so for shorter flights I'm not even sure there is the 500 mile minimum. With 15 of the AA-creditable flights coming in at <500 miles that's a significant number of routes where the credit to AA really isn't so amazing.

If you value the B6 points higher then earning fewer of them relative to the number of miles flown still has more value. So if the B6 points are worth 1.3 cents and the AA points are 1 cent then 384 B6 points would be worth something like 500 AA points, and earning 384 B6 points costs less than earning 500 B6 points.

Does that make more sense?
Also if you only fly B6 once a year then you should give the points to AA since you are more likely to use them. Earning points is nice but you need to use them

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.