Saturday AM Boston Check-In

Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, HI DIA
Saturday AM Boston Check-In

Wondering what conditions are like in BOS on Saturday mornings...we have an 11:15am flight to the Caribbean and are wondering what time we have to check-in with bags. I know we can't check-in online or via kiosk. But I'd rather not get there 3 hours ahead of time if we can. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Nov 19, 2011, 3:55 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
I can't speak for weekday rush-hour periods (Mon. 6-8am & Fri. 2-5pm), however I've never arrived at the airport more than 1:45 before a JetBlue flight. I've had some semi-long pre-security lines (20-45 minutes), but never longer than that. If it were me, I'd arrive around 1:30 before the flight...but if you're traveling with your family and/or are planning to eat before your flight, I'd think 2 hours would be plenty.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:48 am
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
From JetBlue's site:

Check-in Requirements for International Travel

A valid passport is required for ALL customers (regardless of age) who are traveling to/from the United States and any country in the Western Hemisphere.

Please note: If the name on your travel documents does not match the name on the reservation, you may be required to show additional documents such as a notarized marriage certificate.

All customers must be checked in for their flight at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure and must be in the gate area at least 20 minutes prior to scheduled departure.

If you are traveling to an International destination, please check in at the ticket counter. We will not be liable for any charges incurred for baggage that was checked late, nor will we be liable for delivery or compensation for late checked baggage.

Please see specific destination/citizenship information for additional requirements and also if you are traveling with children under the age of 18.

NOTE: Some countries require Proof of Return/Onward travel which will be requested at the departure airport.

Personally, I think a mid-morning departure might be a busy time at the airport, surely you *can* show up at Logan 90 minutes before your flight, but I'd give myself more of a cushion, perhaps 2 hours. You're presumably headed on vacation and it would be a shame to not get on the flight because you showed up too late.

I don't think there will be issues checking-in as from what I remember you can check-in at a kiosk and then you wait in line for the bag-drop (I'm pretty sure this is what I did when I went to Aruba on B6 earlier this year). Security may be a different story though.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:54 am

Even at busy times (Fri morning), I think an hour is sufficient if you're not checking bags. A long security line, in my experience, takes about 20 minutes. I'd allow another 15-20 minutes if you're checking bags, as that adds a second line to the process.

I would guess Saturday AM to be relatively quiet (few business travelers), but this is not based on personal experience.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:06 pm
djs

Originally Posted by JCK75
Even at busy times (Fri morning), I think an hour is sufficient if you're not checking bags. A long security line, in my experience, takes about 20 minutes. I'd allow another 15-20 minutes if you're checking bags, as that adds a second line to the process.

I would guess Saturday AM to be relatively quiet (few business travelers), but this is not based on personal experience.
My only concern there is that you have more tourists who don't realize that the $6 in change they have in their pockets can set off the metal detectors.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:36 pm

Depends on when you're going. If it's a holiday weekend or school vacation week, lines will be huge, but they move quickly.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by djs
My only concern there is that you have more tourists who don't realize that the $6 in change they have in their pockets can set off the metal detectors.
According to JetBlue's website, they recommend arriving at the airport 60 minutes prior to the flight, even for a busy airport like JFK.

Boston is an exception JetBlue recommends 90 minutes.(two hours for AM flight) What is the reason for this? Does it take a long time to check in and/or clear security at JetBlue's terminal there?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by launchylaunchbos
Wondering what conditions are like in BOS on Saturday mornings...we have an 11:15am flight to the Caribbean and are wondering what time we have to check-in with bags. I know we can't check-in online or via kiosk. But I'd rather not get there 3 hours ahead of time if we can. Any input would be appreciated.
My experience with Jetblue out of Boston = Long arse lines, no priority lane, sh!tty, however, there is a United 1K lane. Personally, if the lines are moving like zombies, zip line for that line to see how far you can make it . Jetblue tends to have more frequencies to the Caribbean from BOS on Saturdays.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by krpjr
if the lines are moving like zombies, zip line for that line to see how far you can make it
explain how that's done, please?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by JCK75

I arrived at 4:30AM. The JetBlue check-in counter agent told me I was the first person to check-in. They have been open for 30 minutes and nobody else showed up earlier than me. I was there so early, even the TSA checkpoints were not open yet. The first flight out was at 6AM. The TSA people showed up around 5:10AM, but there were only 5 other passengers waiting. Went through security in under 20 seconds, even with a somewhat oversized carry-on and my two laptops.... The flight was completely full, but people didn't show up in the gate area until 20 minutes before the flight.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by MissyH
explain how that's done, please?
When you enter the lines, one is for United, the other for Jetblue. Just walk into the United line. Sometimes there isn't a BP checker there, hopefully you'll get lucky! Or just wear some nice perfume .
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:25 pm
djs

Originally Posted by MissyH
According to JetBlue's website, they recommend arriving at the airport 60 minutes prior to the flight, even for a busy airport like JFK.

Boston is an exception JetBlue recommends 90 minutes.(two hours for AM flight) What is the reason for this? Does it take a long time to check in and/or clear security at JetBlue's terminal there?
I don't think there's anything specifically unique about BOS (B6 does share a terminal with UA though) but think if people just make sure they're in decent shape going through security 1.5 hours should be more than sufficient. Terminal C where B6 flies out of used to have two different lines depending on which gate one was flying out of but now there is a single security line. This may have been why B6 said 2 hours as some people got confused if Gate 22 fell between Gates 1-15 or 16 - 27 and wait in the wrong line; doesn't speak too well of all the institutes of higher learning we have in Boston
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:27 pm

B6 requires international Passengers to be checked in 60 minutes before departure and has no kiosk or online check in for international pax. Seems risky to hope the wait at the ticket counter is only 30 minutes.

And there is a priority security line if you have the more room seats...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.