Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Another 18 months and still no union for the pilots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2011, 7:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

This was the second effort in recent years where JetBlue pilots have made an effort to seek union representation for collective bargaining. And this is the second time they have failed.

Originally Posted by Barger
I would like to thank all JetBlue pilots for their thoughtful consideration of the issues in this campaign, and for electing to retain and expand their direct relationship with the company. Now that the election is concluded, I look forward to getting back to the business of truly reinventing the traditional airline management-labor relationship, as only JetBlue can.
Is it just me or is that comment a bit snarky?

Previous election discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...ition-nmb.html.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
Originally Posted by sbm12
This was the second effort in recent years where JetBlue pilots have made an effort to seek union representation for collective bargaining. And this is the second time they have failed. snip...
Seems like democracy in action to me. Pilots held a vote on unionizing. The vote was conducted fairly. The vote was tallied. Majority said no. Regardless whether you are pro union or not, the pilots made a choice. They were GIVEN a choice.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:49 am

Not really. Pro's and con's on both sides, including unions. It's the pilots choice to fly with jetBlue and also their choice to not form a union, so it's all good. Management - Union clashes can often end up messy and very bad for the airline/ it's reputation.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:53 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I think you'd need to have preconceptions about the company's attitude to read any snarkiness into that statement. To me it just says "A decision was reached. Let's move on."
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

I guess it is just me. I felt the "I look forward to getting back to the business of truly reinventing the traditional airline management-labor relationship," bit was a bit of a dig at the pilots for wasting time bothering with the election efforts but apparently that's just me.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:40 am

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
I guess it is just me. I felt the "I look forward to getting back to the business of truly reinventing the traditional airline management-labor relationship," bit was a bit of a dig at the pilots for wasting time bothering with the election efforts but apparently that's just me.
Low cost carriers can only be successful if costs are low. I'm amazed B6 could sell the pilots on not unionizing. But there's no doubt, non-union labor will be less costly even though net salaries may be higher per pilot. Now that the vote is past, productivity, performance, and revenue miles are all that matter.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:42 am

Doesn't seem so to me, JetBlue was in the middle of negotiations with pilots, and ALPA rushed to call a vote before things could become finalized. I'd guess Dave meant he's getting back to what was going on before ALPA voting.
Old Aug 18, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Time will tell if Jet Blue really does achieve a better relationship between management and labor than the unionized airlines have. Perhaps in a few years we'll be able to use hindsight to determine whether this statement was (1) an affirmation of the company's intent to avoid a "them and us" culture or (2) a dig at the "opposition".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.