Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

BluePass: 3 months of unlimited travel ex-BOS/LGB

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 3:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

JetBlue announced today BluePass, a program targeting business travelers in Boston or Long Beach with unlimited travel for 90 days. There are three passes - LGB Limited, BOS Limited and BOS All - at three different price points and with different sets of airports that can be flown to. The passes require that all tickets be to or from the "base" city; open jaws, circle trips and multi-destination itineraries are prohibited.

The pass includes last seat availability and requires only 90 minutes advance reservation for flights or changes. Prices range from $1299-1999, depending on the pass.

This certainly isn't AYCJ but if you happen to live in Boston it is darn close.

I just have to figure out if I can handle the commuting to BOS to make it work for me.

More details here and here.

Limited destinations for LGB are: LAS, OAK, SFO, SMF, SLC, PDX, SEA, AUS and ORD.

Limited destinations for BOS are: JFK, EWR, BWI, BUF, DCA, IAD, RIC, PIT, RDU, CLT, ORD, BDA, and JAX.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
Really quite Innovative. The BOS Limited plan is = to about 15 RT flights to/from EWR based on the $49 O/W fare excluding taxes. I imagine taxes/fees are charged at booking time?

I am not sure it's a value for a weekly business traveler unless they go cross country. BOS-SFO can be as high as $800 RT. Just fooling around, a $632 RT would be in the green for Boston All after just 4 RT trips.

Not sure how Travel departments will view this? How to expense a $2,000 airplane fight?
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:23 am

Programs: United 1K
Wow - what a fantastic deal.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 7:29 am

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
This is a good deal now specifically because some international taxes aren't applicable (due to the FAA re-authorization stalled in Congress) so that can be a significant savings if one has a lot of Caribbean travel planned.

B6 is also pocketing the usual 7.5% excise tax so it's attractive for them to offer it now to internalize the tax savings.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, El Mambero De Mucci, PWP Aide to Generalissimo Godot
Not from NYC AND the caribbean/Colombia flights aren't included??? no thanks...last year was MUCH better....
Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by El_Chiflero
Not from NYC AND the caribbean/Colombia flights aren't included??? no thanks...last year was MUCH better....
Not from NYC is definitely a challenge. But the unlimited pass does include nearly all the Caribbean destinations as well as Bogota and San Jose, CR.

Last year was better if you don't live in Boston. If I lived in Boston I'd have bought at 5am when I saw the initial announcement. For 3 months and pretty much the entire route network I'd abuse the hell out of it at the $2000 price point.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
BOS - Attractive $0 Change/Cancel Seems Buys Peace of Mind MoreThan Savings

I never ended up buying AYCJ because of the 7, 14? day book/change/cancellation policy; and related fees if you say woke up in the morning and decided you did not want to fly that day.

Right now I have 7 BOS DCA roundtrips I know I will take during the promotion period, 1 LAS trip, and I'm sure at least 2-3 (could be more) trips I do not yet know about.

Boston All BluePass: $1,999.00
14 BOS-DCA O/W Trips (estimating $80 average o/w fare if in advance): $1,120.00
1 BOS-LAS roundtrip (cost would be about $360 if buy 2day): $360.00
Remaining Unused Value for Trips Not Yet Planned: $519.00
(Possible Discretionary Trips: I'm sure there will be at least say 3-5 extra DCA/BWI trips, maybe 1 trip to Florida, maybe 1 trip to say SFO or MSY, maybe 1-2 JFK/EWR, etc. I mean if I have this I might just say go to DCA after work for drinks and meet friends in the area. It seems even if 1-3 of additional discretionary trips are added it will pay for itself.)

Other Considerations:
*In DCA the B6 terminal is much further from the metro than say US or DL. This is not an issue if driving or in a taxi but it is an issue on same day trips taking the metro;
*I prefer FL's WiFi over B6's tvs but FL does not fly from BOS to DCA, DL does not yet have WiFi on its rj's though they are working on this, and US does not have any WiFi or IFE on these routes and even in first class on US they serve you in plastic cups;
*The BluePass permits liberal same day standby and flight changes similar to being a US or DL elite level flyer;
*I am Companion Pass and A List on WN, but any flight activity in 2011 will not count towards the renewal for 2013. I already have WN AList and CP until 12/31/2012, so 2012 is really the year of requallification. I often book WN to BWI even though BWI less convenient due to WN liberal no change/cancel fee policy. Also for last minute, BWI often less $$$ than DCA. For instance I have a trip booked for this weekend that I'm not sure I will take but if not its not a problem as I can use the credit later. Similar flexibility with B6 BluePass.
*I'll already quallify for US Silver for next year which is handy for occasional upgrades, no bag fees, priority standby, priority service at airport with unusual situations or irregular operations, no "move up" same day change fee. It would be nice to get Gold but not huge.
*For long trips like BOS to SFO I prefer FL or DL due to systemwide WiFi, and business class upgrades on FL. Also UA for channel 9, although flying UA as a nonelite is not good, I was once a 1K on UA. Again the B6 tvs are cool, but WiFi or channel 9 is better for me.

So it seems like this $2,000 can buy some real flexibility and convenience, but not necessarily save money unless I plan a bunch of trips sort of because I bought the pass. The last seat availability, no change/cancel fees, book 90 minutes prior to departure, free standby; really buy peace of mind.

The no cancel/change fee and book 90 minutes in advance of a flight are huge, again I would have done AYCJ but those rules put me off, especially not being able to cancel a trip without penalty.

So inclined to buy it but not 100% convinced?

Maybe will take a look at BOS select also, but then again I don't yet know what trips will come up in this 3 month period.

I also need a better system, prefer in the cloud, for tracking my air fare expenses? I use TripIt but it does not track $'s spent, and I still need to check into a solution for that.

Also in practice and theory yes you can buy BOS DCA for $80 in advance, (even $65 sometimes) but I did find a recent last minute oneway purchassed which was $200 on US Airways. In the real world trips come up at the last minute, so BluePass could be handy if that happens a lot in this 3 month period.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold,HHonors Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
I wouldn't mind taking a lot of trips from Boston to Bermuda.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
BDA

Good idea on BDA, know anything about the hotel situation there? A Nov trip to BDA might be nice.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Good idea on BDA, know anything about the hotel situation there? A Nov trip to BDA might be nice.
Nothing cheap but there are private guest houses that are generally quite reasonable. It is NOT a cheap place to be.
I never ended up buying AYCJ because of the 7, 14? day book/change/cancellation policy; and related fees if you say woke up in the morning and decided you did not want to fly that day.
Only 3 days, but this one is definitely better.

Also consider that you must pay taxes on each fare while under AYCJ you did not on domestic flights. That's ~$15-20/trip.

*In DCA the B6 terminal is much further from the metro than say US or DL. This is not an issue if driving or in a taxi but it is an issue on same day trips taking the metro;
It is no more than 10 minutes extra each direction. I'd not make a decision based on that.
So it seems like this $2,000 can buy some real flexibility and convenience, but not necessarily save money unless I plan a bunch of trips sort of because I bought the pass. The last seat availability, no change/cancel fees, book 90 minutes prior to departure, free standby; really buy peace of mind.
Depends on what your trips are. If you're starting with the idea that most your trips are very cheap it isn't as great a deal. If you look at it as trips that are much more expensive then it can be very useful, especially with the flexibility.
In the real world trips come up at the last minute, so BluePass could be handy if that happens a lot in this 3 month period.
Indeed, especially considering that it includes last seat inventory.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Not cheap as stated above!!! I have family and quite a few friends there so decision making on BDA is always easy for me ^_^. Nonetheless, great place to visit, love it!
Old Jul 29, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, BAEC Bronze, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Question Question about MCO

Trying to understand if this is possible... I live in Orlando and if I buy the unlimited pass from Boston and purchase one-way ticket from MCO - BOS and then start my travels from there and return to MCO and then go through BOS to PIT or SEA for example would this work? Or would I not be allowed to travel from MCO to BOS and then onto _____ on the same day?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 8:31 pm

anyone have any ideas on the reasoning for the x-BOS only?
Old Jul 29, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
bos/lgb passes

All I can think of is that they want to build more goodwill in the BOS market and the LGB market....the BOS deal is far superior though--even a few last minute trips to the West Coast would run a biz traveler $700-800 easy.

For us peeps near LGB this deal is a bit watered down as no access to the east coast at all --even if it was just to BOS or JFK I'd consider. Based on the route map, it's tough to drop $1200 on short hops mostly on routes where WN competes and are cheap...
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:29 am

Programs: AA CO US WN Marriott Hilton Holiday Inn Wyndham Hyatt Avis Budget Hertz National
Originally Posted by RyanG
Trying to understand if this is possible... I live in Orlando and if I buy the unlimited pass from Boston and purchase one-way ticket from MCO - BOS and then start my travels from there and return to MCO and then go through BOS to PIT or SEA for example would this work? Or would I not be allowed to travel from MCO to BOS and then onto _____ on the same day?
Rules say to or from. I would definitely call first.

Code:
BluePass types
Boston All: $1,999* for 3 months of travel to all markets serviceable by JetBlue to/from Boston
Boston Select: $1,499* for 3 months of travel to 13 select markets serviceable by JetBlue from to/from Boston
Long Beach Select: $1,299* for 3 months of travel to 9 select markets serviceable by JetBlue to/from Long Beach, CA

Book online up to 90 minutes prior to departure
    No change or cancel fees
    Free same day change
    Last seat availability
    Depending on BluePass type, all itineraries must be to or from BOS or LGB; i.e. no "open jaw", "circle trip" or "multi-city" itineraries are permitted.
    BluePass travel is valid on JetBlue-operated flights in the JetBlue route network only. 
    Domestic, International, and Puerto Rico taxes and fees are not included.
    On sale starting July 28th, 2011 while supplies last
    Travel dates: August 22nd thru November 22nd, 2011
    Nonrefundable/nontransferable/no name changes permitted

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.