Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Woman thrown off Jetblue for wearing short shorts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Woman thrown off Jetblue for wearing short shorts

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:02 am

Ok, so the title is a little misleading and I now see why she was asked if she was wearing panties. She was wearing a baggy tshirt that was just large enough to cover her very very short shorts. From the jetblue guy's perspective, it appeared as though she had no pant or shorts on whatsoever, so he wanted to at least make sure she had panties on.

Seems reasonable to me...
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by thadocta
Where is it written that TS/S is purely related to TSA?
Nowhere, but the OP mentions TSA and the refererence isn't clear to me either. (As is the relevance to either safety or security, for that matter.)
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:03 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by RichardKenner
Nowhere, but the OP mentions TSA and the refererence isn't clear to me either.
Probably in regards to TSA making things up as they go along and as and when it suits them. I often reference TSA when other government and private bodies do much the same thing.

Dave
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:16 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; SCH-I500 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Seems to me that this should be a non-issue. However, there are health & sanitation issues to be considered. Other passengers are going to sit in that seat during later flights. Either way, the Jet Blue supervisor should have handled it with more finesse.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:17 am

hmmm... I was aware there are limitations on the size of your carry-on, the amount of liquids you're allowed to pack, but this is the first I've heard about a dress code/panty requirement in order to fly. :tongueincheek
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:15 pm

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by madcow1007
Ok, so the title is a little misleading and I now see why she was asked if she was wearing panties. She was wearing a baggy tshirt that was just large enough to cover her very very short shorts. From the jetblue guy's perspective, it appeared as though she had no pant or shorts on whatsoever, so he wanted to at least make sure she had panties on.

Seems reasonable to me...
What's next? Miniskirt donners being subject to panty checks? Why stop at minis then?

And really a walkie talkie for determining the existence of panty????

She should sue the living worth out of JB
Old Jul 24, 2011, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool

Originally Posted by saneman
Maybe Jetblue needs to have ticket or gate agents warn passengers if they come dressed like crack hos and give the passenger some time to adjust and not bring any drama onto the aircraft.
I agree. GA's of all airlines should be given the power to drop the hammer on those dressed like street walkers, thugs with underwear hanging out, or middle aged men wearing lingerie.

To those who espouse all this nonsense about someones right to dress as they please, remember that there is no "right" to fly. Airlines can set dress standards as they please.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 4:34 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by SATTSO
What does this have to do with TSA? Oh, nothing.
Once again, you make the mistake of confusing what the TSA does with safety and security.

Usually when a pilot refuses to transport you, there is a safety/security reason asserted as the basis for refusal to transport.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:59 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Thread would have been closed a long time ago if I spotted it sooner...
Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: CO Silver
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Let me put it this way.
If I were wearing a baggy t-shirt with short-shorts, and if an airline gate agent asked if I had on anything under the baggy t-shirt, I would have just pulled the t-shirt up and said "Hey, look, I'm wearing shorts.".
That would be the end of that.
The fact that the passenger did not just pull the t-shirt up enough to show the shorts suggests to me that she got defiant and argumentative. That might have been the trigger to throw her off the plane.
I wasn't there, but I know what a reasonable person might have done in that situation. Letting it go that far without pulling the t-shirt up a few inches and showing the shorts is not reasonable.
This is an example of the "slippery slope" fallacy. If X is allowed to happen, then Y will inevitably follow. Y is not acceptable, therefore X should not be allowed.
"If 20 year old people are permitted to drink alcohol, pretty soon they will be letting 16 year olds drink alcohol, then they will let 10 year olds and 5 year olds drink alcohol..."
Fact: Drunk 5th graders is not a necessary consequence of lowering the drinking age from 21 to 20.
Slipper slope fallacy my foot. Just because you would have behaved a certain way in that situation does not mean that is the norm everyone should abide by. She had clearly been through the security check and was deemed fit to fly.

She was under no obligation to lift her shirt up and show what she was wearing or wasnt that too in front of all aboard.

What if a miniskirt donner is subject to a similar humiliation?

And putting a walkie talkie to determine the existence of underwear??? Seriously???

Oh how I am eager to read this headline

"JetBlue pays an unspecified amount for settlement to the Harlem Financial Consultant; files for bankruptcy!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.