Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

$4 o/w fares between BUR and LGB 7/16 Only

$4 o/w fares between BUR and LGB 7/16 Only

Old Jul 16, 11, 5:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
A friend and I were on 405 and 406 today. It was a lot of fun. I actually met people who were commenting, flying down to Long Beach for a family party, and flying back in the evening.

405 took a fun turn around the constuction zone. 406 reached cursing altitude at 5,000 feet and awesome views of LAX as we flew right over it at low elevation.
Old Jul 16, 11, 7:28 pm

Sounds like a great trip - and a fantastic marketing idea.
Old Jul 16, 11, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Mexico City during the week, most likely Atlanta on the weekends
Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
A friend and I were on 405 and 406 today. It was a lot of fun. I actually met people who were commenting, flying down to Long Beach for a family party, and flying back in the evening.

405 took a fun turn around the constuction zone. 406 reached cursing altitude at 5,000 feet and awesome views of LAX as we flew right over it at low elevation.
Would have loved to have met you on these flights...have loved reading your posts here and on A.net for years.

Sitting in Anaheim now after taking the train down from LA Union Station (after lunch with another FTer in Hollywood). I'll likely write a TR sometime in the next 24 hours.

In the meantime, someone might have been quoted in the LA Times blog...http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...xperience.html

(ok, I was in 24F on BUR-LGB and the LA Times Reporter was in 24D which helped...)
Old Jul 16, 11, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by nd2010 View Post
If I could bet I'd put my money on the bike. I've done a 30 mile bike ride in under 2 hours. They should also add a car driving from the start to finish...during Carmageddon.

The order each mode of transportation would finish would be

1. Bike
2. Plane
3. Car
Actually it was

1. Bike 1:34
2. Public transportation 1:44
3. A person on rollerblades 2:40
4. Plane 2:54

http://www.slate.com/id/2299432/

As a 125cc scooter rider myself however, I'd love to see how a motorcycles, scooters, and mopeds would've fared in this race; faster than anyone can pedal, but small enough to fit in tight spaces (lane-splitting is legal in CA), and a much better gas saver than a car. If motorcycles were in the race, I think it would've been somewhere between the bike and public transit.
Old Jul 16, 11, 9:21 pm

Anyone writing a TR, I'm willing to give any pics or videos. I was in 21A for 405 (briefly talked with mersk a few rows back) and then 13F on 406 (entire row to myself).
Old Jul 16, 11, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Mexico City during the week, most likely Atlanta on the weekends
Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by amolkold View Post
Anyone writing a TR, I'm willing to give any pics or videos. I was in 21A for 405 (briefly talked with mersk a few rows back) and then 13F on 406 (entire row to myself).
More the merrier! Planning on writing t on SNA-PHX-MRY-PHX tomorrow morning and posting in midafternoon. Would love shots from the other side since I had 24F and 10A
Old Jul 16, 11, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
More the merrier! Planning on writing t on SNA-PHX-MRY-PHX tomorrow morning and posting in midafternoon. Would love shots from the other side since I had 24F and 10A
Looking forward to the Trip Reports. What fun to get perspectives from both sides. Thanks.
Old Jul 16, 11, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines AAdvantage, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by obscure2k View Post
Looking forward to the Trip Reports. What fun to get perspectives from both sides. Thanks.
I agree. I can't wait to hear this. I'm surely the flight will very successful. What is happening the highway is shutdown due to road construction.
Old Jul 17, 11, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
Actually it was

4. Plane 2:54

http://www.slate.com/id/2299432/
Almost 3 hours seems excessive. What is counted in these three hours? Poking nose at the TSA lane for an hour?
Old Jul 18, 11, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL, UA, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
Almost 3 hours seems excessive. What is counted in these three hours? Poking nose at the TSA lane for an hour?
The "race" was door-to-door not airport-to-airport so the Jetblue flier left the house in the Valley (to go to BUR) at the same time as the bicyclists and the guy walking to the Metro station. The rollerblade girl did not leave from the same house but from a nearby place.

The bicyclists would have won airport-to-airport race too as most of the ride is on the LA River Bike Path, which has no red lights or vehicular cross traffic.

The big surprise to most people is the guy taking Metro... he got to the destination almost as fast as the bikes. As a frequent user of Metro in LA, I know this to be the case but most people in LA would not have guessed you can get from the Valley to Long Beach by Metro in a little over 1.5 hours, which is about how long it takes to drive via the 405 freeway on a good day with minimal traffic.

Last edited by bzcat; Jul 18, 11 at 1:22 pm
Old Jul 18, 11, 7:58 pm
djs
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
All in all, I'd say this was a successful promotion for JetBlue. In just about a week this thread grew to 70 responses when this forum is not one of the more active on FT. There was also plenty of press coverage about the promotion and the publicized "race" between bikers, metro users and the plane. Now, at $4 a/i each way it surely didn't make money (at least on Saturday) but down the road it may very well result in increased revenues for JetBlue.