Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

$4 o/w fares between BUR and LGB 7/16 Only

$4 o/w fares between BUR and LGB 7/16 Only

Old Jul 13, 11, 9:17 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
This is a great stunt from JetBlue.

I wonder if JetBlue will have a special setup/display such as cake, balloons etc.

I hope there will be pictures and/or trip report.

Good job to the people who were able to book the flight. Have a good flight!
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Mexico City during the week, most likely Atlanta on the weekends
Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by BondAir007 View Post
I wonder if JetBlue will have a special setup/display such as cake, balloons etc.

I hope there will be pictures and/or trip report.
I might be able to oblige
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:28 pm

Programs: DM-(DL)/CO/AA/US/ RW (Road Warrior)
Originally Posted by mersk862 View Post
I might be able to oblige
Good!
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:37 pm

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Would be awesome to see B6 do this a few of their other city pairs like EWR/JFK, LGA/BDL, FLL/PBI, or even, LGB/SAN.
Old Jul 13, 11, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA. WR, HH, IHG, Accor. TT-GE.
VNY FlyAway?

It would be truly exciting if someone can provide a flight between VNY and LAX for $7. That would be truly "FlyAway"!

Sorry Boeing, only your competitor can do this in order to provide a "bus" service!
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:36 pm

Programs: AP basic (formerly prestige, wannabe SE)
Just wondering, but can someone explain why the arrival times are 45 minutes after the departure times? I know there needs to be time for taxi and takeoff, but do they have to fly over the Pacific for a while to level off at 30 000 feet or something before coming in for landing? I don't get why there needs to be more than a 5-10 minute flight time. Can anyone who knows all about the properties of a comercial jet enlighten me?
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Starriott Platinum Premier/Ambassador, UA 2P, Spend too much time on DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mrpickle View Post
Just wondering, but can someone explain why the arrival times are 45 minutes after the departure times? I know there needs to be time for taxi and takeoff, but do they have to fly over the Pacific for a while to level off at 30 000 feet or something before coming in for landing? I don't get why there needs to be more than a 5-10 minute flight time. Can anyone who knows all about the properties of a comercial jet enlighten me?
Taxi time is the big driver here.

When United offered SNA-LAX (a similar distance, albeit on a prop), it was about an 8 minute flight, but by the time you taxi out and get to the runway (about 10 minutes when you account for safety demo, pushback, etc.) and taxi in (another 5-10 minutes), it adds up. With this flight, they likely need to take some manuevers to keep it out of the approach path for LAX, as planes coming into LAX are at about 5000 ft when they pass due south of downtown Los Angeles - navigating around the LAX airspace as this flight bisects that approach will likely add some extra minutes on as well.
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:56 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
Does anyone else find it amusing

that the distance is only 29 miles & flight is scheduled as 45 minutes.
Old Jul 14, 11, 7:40 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by LAXNYER View Post
that the distance is only 29 miles & flight is scheduled as 45 minutes.
That still beats typical speeds on the 405.
Old Jul 14, 11, 11:03 am

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
Short flights

Originally Posted by Seat13c View Post
Would be awesome to see B6 do this a few of their other city pairs like EWR/JFK, LGA/BDL, FLL/PBI, or even, LGB/SAN.

Except that the EWR/JFK flights will have 1 hour taxi time and 5 minutes in the air . I wonder if they are doing an express service on the BUR-LGB flights.
Old Jul 14, 11, 2:41 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I suppose the novelty of the route is worth the tale itself, but for the carmageddon-interested passengers, don't you have to be one of the few lucky ones at the window seat on the correct side?

Also, I wonder what route they'll actually use? Would be amusing to see them using one of the VFR corridors over LAX...
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bmg42000 View Post
Except that the EWR/JFK flights will have 1 hour taxi time and 5 minutes in the air .
Might still be faster than the Van Wyck.

Originally Posted by TA View Post
Also, I wonder what route they'll actually use? Would be amusing to see them using one of the VFR corridors over LAX...
I would think that the VFR corridors also have size limits on what aircraft can use them, no? Like nothing that normally carries 150 passengers. I know the comparable routes in the NYC area (e.g. up the Hudson) are size-limited.
Old Jul 14, 11, 4:20 pm

Programs: WN A+, AA GLD, UA Silver, MR Titanium, Hilton Silver, Avis Preferred, Hertz 5*
Based on my history on the old UA (actually United Express) ONT-LAX flight, it flew at rather low elevations. I think a plane of this size might not be allowed to fly so low, but I expect flyers will get a short tour of the 405 and coastal areas before landing.

I am not even sure any of the websites would be able to offer much flight detail on path for such a short flight.

I think the no-show rate on this flight will be rather high especially if it gets hard to get to the airport, but not worth the effort for standby (especially if you need a round-trip). What a bad situation otherwise.

I am not sure anyone is going to bother with asking for a 24 hour refund, but I do not know.

Hopefully it goes off well and does not discourage B6 from trying this in the future.

Rasheed
Old Jul 14, 11, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TA View Post
I suppose the novelty of the route is worth the tale itself, but for the carmageddon-interested passengers, don't you have to be one of the few lucky ones at the window seat on the correct side?
I made sure I paid the whopping 25% premium (man was that expensive!) to get a window seat on the LGB-BUR flight.
Old Jul 14, 11, 9:27 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
You know which side of the plane the freeway will be on?

Search this Thread