Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Thanks for changing my schedule, B6

Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos

Just checked to see if fares had changed for my BOS/LAX/BOS in May, and saw that they've dropped the red eye heading eastbound and placed me on the 12:45PM flight instead, effectively shortening my trip by a full day.

Anyone think there's a chance they'd put me on Virgin America instead of having me cancel that part of the trip (and me ending up with a credit I may not be able to use)?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat
For a schedule change that long, they'll give you a full refund. Or if there's a different routing that would work better, they'll put you on that.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
No, they'll give me credit, since I paid for 90% of the RT fare with credit. Which raises one question and one problem:

A) They told me the cash part I paid "went to the westbound flight which I'm keeping", so I can't get any cash (credit card) credit. How the hell do they get to chose which leg was paid partially with cash?
B) I'm not planning any further travel this year on B6, so the credit will be wasted. We had paid for very expensive BOS/FLL tix in the fall, knowing the price would probably drop, and that we'd be using that credit for this trip. Now we'll have a nice credit that will probably expire.

They offered to send me back from Long Beach, but I have a rental car from LAX, and they can't get me to Long Beach, that's up to me.

Plan C is that I will rebook on Virgin now, and not cancel my return trip until the last minute, so the credit won't take affect until May, and I'll have a bit longer to hopefully use that credit next year up until May. That would work, wouldn't it? I mean the waiting to credit the flight and having the one year calendar not start until then?
Old Feb 13, 2011, 10:44 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage, Rapid Rewards, Sky Miles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Hertz
Just check with your rental car company how much the extra charge would be to return to LGB. I've found, mainly with Hertz, it is usually only a few bucks if that when the locations are so close to one another. It can't hurt to ask and avoid any headache on the airline end of things. Unfortunately, schedules do change from time to time, but I would recommend looking into returning the car to LGB as it may cost nothing or a few bucks.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jetBlueNYFL
Just check with your rental car company how much the extra charge would be to return to LGB. I've found, mainly with Hertz, it is usually only a few bucks if that when the locations are so close to one another. It can't hurt to ask and avoid any headache on the airline end of things. Unfortunately, schedules do change from time to time, but I would recommend looking into returning the car to LGB as it may cost nothing or a few bucks.
Hadn't booked the car yet. Ran a few "simulations" last night, with Thrifty, Hertz, and National, and it was basically $100 extra for each one, dropping off at LGB after renting at LAX. I think I may just stay over at an airport hotel, using points, and take the damn noon flight the following day. Drop the car as scheduled, and just have a relaxing morning at the hotel and shuttle over to the airport.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 5:06 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Have them put you on the red eye to JFK, from there you get a connecting flight to BOS. What time was your return flight supposed to be? Looks like they're still running an 11:40 PM back in late May.

Last edited by djs; Feb 16, 2011 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 16, 2011, 11:26 pm

Programs: TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
No, they'll give me credit, since I paid for 90% of the RT fare with credit. Which raises one question and one problem:

A) They told me the cash part I paid "went to the westbound flight which I'm keeping", so I can't get any cash (credit card) credit. How the hell do they get to chose which leg was paid partially with cash?
B) I'm not planning any further travel this year on B6, so the credit will be wasted. We had paid for very expensive BOS/FLL tix in the fall, knowing the price would probably drop, and that we'd be using that credit for this trip. Now we'll have a nice credit that will probably expire.

They offered to send me back from Long Beach, but I have a rental car from LAX, and they can't get me to Long Beach, that's up to me.

Plan C is that I will rebook on Virgin now, and not cancel my return trip until the last minute, so the credit won't take affect until May, and I'll have a bit longer to hopefully use that credit next year up until May. That would work, wouldn't it? I mean the waiting to credit the flight and having the one year calendar not start until then?
For the record: Don't do the "wait till the last min to cancel hoping to restart the one year" concept.

One of the (incredibly) unfortunate changes with the Sabre upgrade was that all credits go back to the ORIGINAL expiration date if put back in your account. So even if you cancel in May, it will go back to the fall date for the original credit.

I'd try to ask for a supervisor, and ask if they can possibly extend the credit, as it was a schedule change that made you request the refund, but unless you happen to get me on the phones (grin!) I can't promise any other supervisor would do that for you. But it never hurts to ask.

I just didn't want you to think by postponing the cancel, you'd automatically extend the credit. Sabre will put it back to the original date. (And the part about the credit card being on the return is inane. They *can* refund the credit card part, it's just a very lengthy and annoying process. But it's absolutely doable.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.