Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jet Blue- Cancelled flight- can't call- what now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jet Blue- Cancelled flight- can't call- what now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2010, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sorry, but me saying the same thing a second time doesn't seem to make much sense to me. Did you really think that the person suggested Twitter because it wasn't another option to solve the problem?

And your initial response - the "noodling around" bit - was pretty dismissive and snarky IMO. I actually don't really think my first response was, but I suppose that's just my opinion.

Much like the initial suggestion to try Twitter, which was useful IMO, I offered the explanations as to why Twitter would be helpful. Sorry the suggestions and explanations weren't as clear and useful as you wanted. That's life when you post online and hope for the bust, I suppose.
Saying "Try Twitter" is not the same thing as saying "JB could possibly rebook you on Twitter if you can't get through on the phone." So you would not have been repeating what that poster said, you would have been clarifying & adding additional information.

You met no resistance from me on the notion of rebooking via Twitter- once it was stated that the purpose of going to Twitter would be to rebook the flight. However by that time we had already done the redial trick enough times to rebook via that mechanism.

You are a moderator on this board. I would think you'd have an interest in less drama, more substance. Whatever, the flight is rebooked now.

H
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: new united nobody
Originally Posted by heathpack
You are a moderator on this board. I would think you'd have an interest in less drama, more substance. Whatever, the flight is rebooked now.

H
+1. quite surprised at the mod's snarky, condescending tone.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 4:23 pm

JB could easily send customers an email, text or voicemail that says, "Due to the blizzard in NY, your flight has been cancelled. Contact us at 1-800-JBFLYSHIGH or on Twitter to rebook. Flights may not be available for several days. You can also cancel your flight and obtain a refund." You claim this would accomplish nothing, yet it would have answered every question I had and obviatated the need for this thread (and your snark).
JetBlue does send both cancellation emails and make cancellation calls as SOP. As I asked earlier, in what manner was this flight booked (phone, internet, which website, etc.)?
Old Dec 28, 2010, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by caphis
JetBlue does send both cancellation emails and make cancellation calls as SOP. As I asked earlier, in what manner was this flight booked (phone, internet, which website, etc.)?
Not sure how it was booked- however since my 75-year-old mother booked the flight and she has a fear of online commerce, I assume it was booked via telephone. I can ask her when I get back to the house if it matters.

Still no call, text, email- although I don't know if anyone has checked her spam box.

H
Old Dec 28, 2010, 7:09 pm

Not sure how it was booked- however since my 75-year-old mother booked the flight and she has a fear of online commerce, I assume it was booked via telephone. I can ask her when I get back to the house if it matters.

Still no call, text, email- although I don't know if anyone has checked her spam box.

H
The reason I ask is because if it was booked through a third party channel and not directly with JetBlue, it's likely that her contact information was not provided to JetBlue. Cancellation notifications happen automatically, so if she didn't receive one, it's likely either JetBlue doesn't have her contact information, or it did it end up in her spam box.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyingbroom
+1. quite surprised at the mod's snarky, condescending tone.

Although I've found the Mod of this forum to always be helpful, I have to admit my surprise at the tone expressed in this particular thread.
I, too, thought the "try twitter" comment was just being "snarky" until the later post when the explanation was made. I had no idea JB used Twitter ( as I would assume the great majority of JB Fliers don;t know), nor would I have any idea how to use Twitter, despite being fairly computer savvy - just not Twitter Savvy.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:07 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
twitter

twittericoachgns;15539773]Although I've found the Mod of this forum to always be helpful, I have to admit my surprise at the tone expressed in this particular thread.
I, too, thought the "try twitter" comment was just being "snarky" until the later post when the explanation was made. I had no idea JB used Twitter ( as I would assume the great majority of JB Fliers don;t know), nor would I have any idea how to use Twitter, despite being fairly computer savvy - just not Twitter Savvy.[/QUOTE]

I was in a hurry when I made the post so sorry that I could not provide more detais. Actually b6 should mention twitter on the facebook page.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: United, Hilton
ridiculous why should you have to open a twitter account to check your airline status
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Sheesh Dude, you are way snarky. The Twitter suggestion was not dismissed. A request was made for further clarification. Yes, it initially seemed strange to me that JB would not have enough manpower to answer phones but they could have employees posting on Twitter. However, if JB is on Twitter actually solving rebooking issues, great. You could actually just reply to me "that poster said 'Try Twitter' because JB could actually rebook you via that mechanism." THAT would have been a useful reponse. I am no technophobe, would join Twitter for 15 minutes if there was a reason too.

Also mea culpa, I suppose, if I do not know how JB internally handles its seats available for rebooking. It seems nothing but logical that the more time that goes by, the less seat availability there will be- hence my desire to learn the most expedient way to contact JB.

JB could easily send customers an email, text or voicemail that says, "Due to the blizzard in NY, your flight has been cancelled. Contact us at 1-800-JBFLYSHIGH or on Twitter to rebook. Flights may not be available for several days. You can also cancel your flight and obtain a refund." You claim this would accomplish nothing, yet it would have answered every question I had and obviatated the need for this thread (and your snark).

Don't assume everyone who does not know the intricacies of how JB operates is a moron. Don't assume everyone who posts here has failed to make themselves aware of the weather situation in NY. Don't assume is someone asks what going to Twitter will accomplish is dismissing the idea out of hand. And if you thought the tone of my initial response was off kilter, why compound the situation with snark?

H
Indeed it is assumptions like that which will bring jetblue to its knees. if they want twitter and give it priority over their website, telephone, and email in emergencies the least they could do is say so up front. seems unfair to me for them to give priority to twitter over other more established and used communication media. Sometimes the know it alls ruin the ft experience.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:20 pm

maybe the airline should handle reservations

via facebook messages if they run out of 3x5 cards.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
http://jetblue.com/help/contactus/index.html

The placement of the twitter icon on the "contact us" page in the tiny right-hand corner suggests that it shouldn't be given priority over answering the phones.

Quite honestly, it seems unfair that people "in the know" might be getting help before people who are trying to call or e-mail are getting help. Just adds to the sense that B6 has no clue what it is doing.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: magsetleVE
Originally Posted by defiance96
http://jetblue.com/help/contactus/index.html

The placement of the twitter icon on the "contact us" page in the tiny right-hand corner suggests that it shouldn't be given priority over answering the phones.

Quite honestly, it seems unfair that people "in the know" might be getting help before people who are trying to call or e-mail are getting help. Just adds to the sense that B6 has no clue what it is doing.
There is a physical maximum number of phone lines that *any* corporation can have at any time. This mess has ran JB into the phone line maximum.

They've put out a call for mandatory overtime for everyone that works in the center. I have friends that have worked 12-14 hour days since Christmas to try and help people out.

This is why JB added things like Twitter... because you can help people using methods that aren't hard capped by things like available phone lines.

(Thoughts are my own, not representative of JB in any way, blah blah disclaimer.)

Last edited by LiaJB; Dec 28, 2010 at 10:10 pm
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Well, lo and behold, mother actually booked her flight on JB website. She had a friend come over and help her. THey spent all morning making the booking and then went out for lunch.

And here's what was in her spam box:

Dear HP's Mother,

This email is to inform you that your JetBlue flight has been cancelled. We apologize for the disruption this may cause in your travel plans.

Your itinerary may be rebooked without a fee by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). If you prefer, ask our Reservation Crewmember about a full refund* or a credit for future travel on JetBlue (good for one year).

Confirmation Number
XXXXXXX

We thank your for your understanding and look forward to welcoming you onboard soon.
Sincerely,

JetBlue Airways

No mention of the Twitter option for rebooking, but at least JB did contact Mother. We do not have a problem with the fact that the weather caused the flight to be cancelled. Or that JB was so busy they could not take a call. But JB definately could have done a better job letting people know what was going on, perhaps sending folks to Twitter via the same message on the phone line that tells you that they are terminating your call. Or put that info into the email that is sent out. Or implement a system whereby customer can enter a phone number for a return call.

H
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by LiaJB
There is a physical maximum number of phone lines that *any* corporation can have at any time. This mess has ran JB into the phone line maximum.

They've put out a call for mandatory overtime for everyone that works in the center. I have friends that have worked 12-14 hour days since Christmas to try and help people out.

This is why JB added things like Twitter... because you can help people using methods that aren't hard capped by things like available phone lines.
Bingo. I'm not sure where the idea came from that

Originally Posted by intl_flyer
ridiculous why should you have to open a twitter account to check your airline status
or

Originally Posted by defiance96
Quite the opposite. No one has ever suggested that you need to open a Twitter account anymore than you need to create an email account. JetBlue has adopted an innovative and popular method of social networking to add to the communication options available to its customers; not replace existing methods. Compared to other airlines who only offer telephone assistance, I'm completely at a loss as to why JetBlue having an additional communication method could be considered a bad thing.

Originally Posted by iquitos
if they want twitter and give it priority over their website, telephone, and email in emergencies the least they could do is say so up front. seems unfair to me for them to give priority to twitter over other more established and used communication media.
JetBlue seems to have established a presence on Facebook and Twitter to supplement the existing communication channels, not to replace them or give priority over them. Normally, calling is the absolutely the quickest method to address concerns. As LiaJB pointed out, there are physical and technological maximums that do exist with the call center, and in situations like this where every airline is seeing increased demand, excessive wait times and overloading, Twitter, Facebook and email exist as alternatives to established channels. No one ever made the assertion that one must have accounts on these networks to get help, simply that they exist as alternatives.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 10:43 pm

so it looks like

email is the airline's preferred communication system and they have the capacity to use it. passengers just have to clear out their spam box more often: they preferred the passenger get in touch as follows: "... Your itinerary may be rebooked without a fee by calling 1-800-JETBLUE (538-2583). If you prefer, ask our Reservation Crewmember about a full refund* or a credit for future travel on JetBlue (good for one year). ... "

so apparently the carrier still prefers phone and email.

Last edited by iquitos; Dec 28, 2010 at 11:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.