JetBlue's Service to DCA and BDL

Old Dec 13, 10, 8:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New Bedford, MA
Posts: 16
JetBlue's Service to DCA and BDL

As we all know, B6 started service in Hartford and Washington Reagan last month. How are they doing thus far in terms of profitability and loads? I'd expect DCA-BOS would be one of the lesser-profitable routes since its already served over 20 times daily.

Insight anyone?
keagkid101 is offline  
Old Dec 14, 10, 4:44 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: PHL
Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Posts: 1,219
Originally Posted by keagkid101 View Post
I'd expect DCA-BOS would be one of the lesser-profitable routes since its already served over 20 times daily.?
I don't have any insight on how they are doing, but before B6 entered the game prices were routinely $500+ for this quick hop (on short notice) and flights were generally full. Even in advance fares were relatively high. Also AA recently dropped this route, so I would expect they are cleaning up pretty nicely on this one.

Last edited by doctor15; Dec 14, 10 at 4:54 pm
doctor15 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 10, 11:46 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by doctor15 View Post
I don't have any insight on how they are doing, but before B6 entered the game prices were routinely $500+ for this quick hop (on short notice) and flights were generally full. Even in advance fares were relatively high. Also AA recently dropped this route, so I would expect they are cleaning up pretty nicely on this one.
They're doing some gateshare with AA now, which is how B6 got the DCA gates.

All I know is that buying a day-of direct flight BOS->DCA used to be $650 on Delta and now I can get it for $300 peak on B6. My company controller is loving it.

I bet if you ran the numbers right now it would look pretty bad as the last two weeks have been absolutely dead on commuter flights (day-of $49 tickets BOS<->DCA), but they're going to absolutely own this market imho.
cleanfloor is offline  
Old Dec 23, 10, 1:56 pm
  #4  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,210
Originally Posted by cleanfloor View Post
They're doing some gateshare with AA now, which is how B6 got the DCA gates.
Given that the B6 DCA gates are nowhere near the AA facilities I'm not entirely sure how this makes sense.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Dec 23, 10, 4:21 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,227
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Given that the B6 DCA gates are nowhere near the AA facilities I'm not entirely sure how this makes sense.
I have absolutely no ideas how is B6 doing in DCA lately? Is that those routes has done extremely very well? I wasn't thinking if there is enough the gates space available. If there will have brings more extra slots for DCA-FLL to gets second daily more connections flight in FLL focus cities.
N830MH is online now  
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:48 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Posts: 163
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Given that the B6 DCA gates are nowhere near the AA facilities I'm not entirely sure how this makes sense.
A B6 rep told me that they traded a few slots at DCA and BOS with AA. IE, AA gets a few of their boston slots and in turn B6 gets one or two at DCA
cleanfloor is offline  
Old Dec 25, 10, 3:29 am
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NYC
Posts: 69,210
Originally Posted by cleanfloor View Post
A B6 rep told me that they traded a few slots at DCA and BOS with AA. IE, AA gets a few of their boston slots and in turn B6 gets one or two at DCA
There absolutely was a trade of slots: B6 gave up JFK slots and AA gave up DCA slots.

But neither gates nor BOS were involved. Once they had the slots B6 had to deal with gates and such directly from the Washington Airport folks.
sbm12 is offline  
Old Dec 25, 10, 12:32 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Posts: 163
Yep, look like you're right. I just remembered it was one of JB's hubs and the other airline was AA :-)
cleanfloor is offline  
Old Dec 25, 10, 4:12 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Posts: 37,227
Originally Posted by cleanfloor View Post
A B6 rep told me that they traded a few slots at DCA and BOS with AA. IE, AA gets a few of their boston slots and in turn B6 gets one or two at DCA
They told you about it? How? How do you figure it out? Why B6 wants to acquiring more slots?
N830MH is online now  
Old Jan 2, 11, 8:14 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
Posts: 2,164
I can't speak for BDL as I haven't been there but I've been in and out of DCA the last 2 months and we are doing quite well there. Terminal A may be a dump to most but we redid our check in area and the terminal isn't as crowded. It's nice a peaceful in there. I like being in Terminal A
JetBlueFA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread