JetBlue's Service to DCA and BDL

Old Dec 13, 10, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

JetBlue's Service to DCA and BDL

As we all know, B6 started service in Hartford and Washington Reagan last month. How are they doing thus far in terms of profitability and loads? I'd expect DCA-BOS would be one of the lesser-profitable routes since its already served over 20 times daily.

Insight anyone?
Old Dec 14, 10, 4:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by keagkid101 View Post
I'd expect DCA-BOS would be one of the lesser-profitable routes since its already served over 20 times daily.?
I don't have any insight on how they are doing, but before B6 entered the game prices were routinely $500+ for this quick hop (on short notice) and flights were generally full. Even in advance fares were relatively high. Also AA recently dropped this route, so I would expect they are cleaning up pretty nicely on this one.

Last edited by doctor15; Dec 14, 10 at 4:54 pm
Old Dec 23, 10, 11:46 am

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by doctor15 View Post
I don't have any insight on how they are doing, but before B6 entered the game prices were routinely $500+ for this quick hop (on short notice) and flights were generally full. Even in advance fares were relatively high. Also AA recently dropped this route, so I would expect they are cleaning up pretty nicely on this one.
They're doing some gateshare with AA now, which is how B6 got the DCA gates.

All I know is that buying a day-of direct flight BOS->DCA used to be $650 on Delta and now I can get it for $300 peak on B6. My company controller is loving it.

I bet if you ran the numbers right now it would look pretty bad as the last two weeks have been absolutely dead on commuter flights (day-of $49 tickets BOS<->DCA), but they're going to absolutely own this market imho.
Old Dec 23, 10, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cleanfloor View Post
They're doing some gateshare with AA now, which is how B6 got the DCA gates.
Given that the B6 DCA gates are nowhere near the AA facilities I'm not entirely sure how this makes sense.
Old Dec 23, 10, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Given that the B6 DCA gates are nowhere near the AA facilities I'm not entirely sure how this makes sense.
I have absolutely no ideas how is B6 doing in DCA lately? Is that those routes has done extremely very well? I wasn't thinking if there is enough the gates space available. If there will have brings more extra slots for DCA-FLL to gets second daily more connections flight in FLL focus cities.
Old Dec 24, 10, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
A B6 rep told me that they traded a few slots at DCA and BOS with AA. IE, AA gets a few of their boston slots and in turn B6 gets one or two at DCA
Old Dec 25, 10, 3:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A B6 rep told me that they traded a few slots at DCA and BOS with AA. IE, AA gets a few of their boston slots and in turn B6 gets one or two at DCA
There absolutely was a trade of slots: B6 gave up JFK slots and AA gave up DCA slots.

But neither gates nor BOS were involved. Once they had the slots B6 had to deal with gates and such directly from the Washington Airport folks.
Old Dec 25, 10, 12:32 pm

Yep, look like you're right. I just remembered it was one of JB's hubs and the other airline was AA :-)
Old Dec 25, 10, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
They told you about it? How? How do you figure it out? Why B6 wants to acquiring more slots?
Old Jan 2, 11, 8:14 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
I can't speak for BDL as I haven't been there but I've been in and out of DCA the last 2 months and we are doing quite well there. Terminal A may be a dump to most but we redid our check in area and the terminal isn't as crowded. It's nice a peaceful in there. I like being in Terminal A

Search this Thread